Snowmobile Fatalities 2016-2017

Blake G

10 hours ago, sledjunk said:

When I started sledding alone, I was about 10 or 11 and didn't have a helmet.  I was on a 67 Super Olympique (14.5 HP) and often rode it flat out (30 mph clocked on a road)  I guess we had harder heads back then :-):wtf:

Was the 66 Super Olympique pulled by actual horses??

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Garson fatality reported as a female snowmobiler losing control and striking a tree on a closed trail. Tragic. 

This is correct.

I have other details but will not publish on here.

What has been confirmed is she was riding on a closed trail.

http://www.mykawartha.com/news-story/7061747-update-body-of-snowmobiler-missing-after-going-into-stoney-lake-is-recovered-video/

Update: Body of snowmobiler missing after going into Stoney Lake is recovered | VIDEO

Search for snowmobile driver

Search for snowmobile driver

Lance Anderson \ Metroland
Peterborough County OPP are set up at the end of Tedford Drive, a corrage access road off of Juniper Point Road, which is between Youngs Point and Burleigh Falls. Police are continuing to search for a snowmobile driver that went through the ice on Jan. 11.
Firefighters at scene of missing snowmobiler on Stony Lake

Firefighters at scene of missing snowmobiler on Stony Lake

Shawn Salo

Peterborough This Week

STONEY LAKE - The body of a snowmobiler who went through the ice on Stoney Lake has been recovered.

The body was found at around 1 p.m. Thursday. He had been unaccounted for after he and another rider went through the ice on Stoney Lake Wednesday evening (Jan. 11).

Peterborough County OPP were called to the Hell’s Gate area of Stoney Lake shortly before 5:30 p.m.

OPP say a pair of snowmobilers attempted to cross open water — one made it across while the other disappeared under. After calling 9-1-1, police say the one rider entered the water in an unsuccessful attempt to rescue his friend.

Responding emergency workers from the OPP and Selwyn Fire Services were hampered in their rescue attempts by thin ice. Emergency officials rushed to the south shore but couldn't go out on their own machines for fear of also ending up in the water.

Firefighters and police headed out towards the island on foot and one Selwyn Township firefighter fell through the ice just the same. After a 1.5-kilometre trek, an OPP officer saw one of the men on an island and radioed for help.

A helicopter from Joint Rescue Coordination Centre (JRCC Trenton) was successful in rescuing the first rider. The 47-year old man from Douro-Dummer Township was flown by JRCC directly to an area hospital for treatment of injuries related to cold water exposure.

The snowmobiler who disappeared under the water is a 51-year old man also from Douro-Dummer Township.

Peterborough County OPP Constable Jason Folz reminds snowmobile drivers to be cautious if heading onto ice.

“Each part of these lakes is different and waters freeze in different locations at different rates,” he says.

Thursday, OPP members from the Underwater Search and Recovery Unit (USRU) will assist in locating the missing snowmobiler.

RIP. I feel for the family for their loss 

Ughhh ,  Not a good feeling at all after reading that.  

RIP, fellow Sledder, Hate to see this happen to anyone... 

http://muskoka411.com/start/bracebridge-opp-appealing-to-witnesses-after-disappearance-of-snow-machine-along-maclaren-bay/

Bracebridge OPP appealing to witnesses after disappearance of snow machine along MacLean Bay

By 411 Staff -
January 15, 2017 12:34 pm
opp-cars-2016-2.jpg

Bracebridge OPP responded to a complaint of a snow vehicle that reportedly went into the water near Sopher’s Landing in Gravenhurst, just before 8 p.m. last night, Saturday January 14, 2017.

Witnesses reported seeing a snowmobile travelling on Sparrow Lake within the Trent Severn Waterway, turn west toward open water in an area known as MacLean Bay and then it appeared to go into open water and disappear.  Bracebridge OPP and the OPP Emergency Response Team along with the Gravenhurst Fire Department and the Orillia Fire Department conducted a search of the area that could safely be accessed.  Given the isolated location and unstable condition of the ice, the OPP contacted the Canadian Armed Forces Joint Rescue Coordination centre based in Trenton, who dispatched search and rescue resources including a Royal Canadian Air Force helicopter and personnel to the scene.

Police say they are continuing the search for the unknown party with the assistance of the OPP Underwater Search and Recovery Unit the OPP Aviation Services.

Police are asking anyone with information to contact Bracebridge OPP at 1 (888) 310-1122 or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

mclean bay.jpg

Sadly this is likely to be another terrible unnecessary tragedy. I just don't understand.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread was started reporting a sled fatality on the same stretch of trail/road earlier in the year.

Sad.

RIP fellow sledder.

Damn, RIP fellow sledder, hate seeing stuff like this.

4 hours ago, iangj said:

I have no details on this yet but I'm sure I will.

Damn.... ride safe and be safe everyone. Maybe take that corner a little slower, be more vigilant for that dip or wash out in the trail, but just get home safe.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/02/02/burlington-girl-11-killed-in-snowmobile-crash

Burlington girl, 11, killed in snowmobile crash

Len Gillis, Postmedia Network

First posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 12:08 PM EST | Updated: Thursday, February 02, 2017 12:17 PM EST

Amanda Huxley crash OPP at the scene of a crash on Highway 11 near Monteith that killed an 11-year-old girl from Burlington riding a snowmobile on Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2017. (LEN GILLIS/Postmedia Network)

google4.png
Map Data

mapcnt6.png

sv9.png
tmapctrl.png

tmapctrl.png

tmapctrl4.png
tmapctrl4.png
Map
imgs8.png
Terrain
Satellite
imgs8.png
Labels
sunmstmappointer.png%7C48.652873,-80.706

TIMMINS - An 11-year-old Burlington girl operating a snowmobile was killed Wednesday when she tried to cross a northern Ontario highway and hit a truck.

OPP say Amanda Huxley was crossing Highway 11 near Monteith, north of Kirkland Lake, when her snowmobile collided with a large commercial motor vehicle just before 1 p.m.

It has not yet been revealed how or why an 11-year-old was riding a snowmobile in that area, at that time.  

Amanda was transported to a local hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

The highway was closed for more than six hours as police investigated.

Tragic that someone so young is lost. I can only imagine what the family is going through.

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Tragic that someone so young is lost. I can only imagine what the family is going through.

I am sickened by this accident. My deepest condolences to the family. Not only can I fathom what the family is feeling, my sympathy goes out to the truck driver as well for the agony he must be feeling as well.

Another accident down our way near Pembroke today.  Seen the OPP on the 17 sitting almost blocking the trail on our way back up from Ottawa.  Thought kinda odd. Then checking the ITG and that stretch was red.   Read later a snowmobilier was involved in an accident with a tractor trailer.  Dont know much more myself. 

Heart breaking. RIP. Thoughts with the family. Everyone be safe this weekend. Its a busy one for the sport.

13 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Condolences to his family. Another senseless loss of life. I wish we didn't have to be writing about these things. I am still being haunted by many daily thoughts of the young girl who lost her life last Wednesday. Possibly time for a "Your Family needs you to come home alive after your ride" campaign.

Article written on Friday, February 3, 2017:

(SELWYN TOWNSHIP, ON) – Members of the Peterborough County Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) were called to assist with an overdue snowmobiler in the area of Emerald Isle, Selwyn Township shortly after 9:00 pm last night.

A 52-year-old male advised family members that he was going for a ride on Buckhorn Lake and was expected to return by 7:30 pm. Police were contacted when the male became overdue. Last night a search of the area was conducted by OPP officers and a helicopter from Joint Rescue Coordination Centre (JRCC Trenton) with negative results.

Today an OPP helicopter from Orillia located the missing snowmobiler in the water near Scollard Bay area of Buckhorn Lake. OPP members from the Underwater Search and Recovery Unit (USRU) attended the area and recovered the rider shortly before 3:30 pm.

The deceased snowmobile rider has been identified as: John Bernard SHAW, age-52 of Selwyn Township, Ontario.

The deceased was transported to The Provincial Forensic Pathology Unit at the Forensic Services and Coroners Complex in Toronto for a post-mortem examination.

Archived