New to the sport

Bradatharmony

Hi all,  My wife an I recently moved into Carling Township from Ancaster. We've never been into snowmobiling (my wife has never been on one and last time I rode was forty years ago). We figured that we needed to have a way to get out and about in the winter, so we purchased a couple of used snowmobiles. My uncle (who is into classic sleds) found two 1996 Polaris Indy 500 Trail Touring machines for sale in Michigan. One has 550 miles on it. The other has 600... they are in pristine condition. I snapped them up last week and brought them home on the weekend. We're looking forward to many seasons of enjoying the winter up here. 

I plan on attending the Carling Trailbazers meeting on Wednesday to find out more about riding. 

Brad and Karey

IMG_4329.JPG

IMG_4330.JPG

IMG_4332.JPG

IMG_4333.JPG

IMG_4335.JPG

Welcome and hope to see you on trails soon enough..

those things look pristine ... 

hope to see you on the trails ...

Welcome aboard and those are great looking sleds! Nice grab.

Make sure you give the sleds a good going over.

Check the carbs out well and the main drive components and bearings.

The sleds look great but you never know.

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you got an awesome deal. If the previous owner kept the outside of the sleds looking that good then chances are that he took care of the underside to. Although not too much should have gone wrong in that few miles. Good reliable starter sleds.

Ditto on the carbs.  You'll blow one right prompt if they're even the least bit gummed up.  Have someone who's knowledgeable in carbs (read Old Guy sled mechanic) go over them properly.

Also, give the sleds a coupla short rides, then check all the bearings.  After having so little miles on them the grease is probably pretty beat in the idler bearings, so I wouldn't be surprised that some will need replacing.  Other than that, they look awesome !

8 hours ago, catinental couch said:

Hey Brad. Have you heard where the Carling Club meeting is being held tonight? I don't do Facebook.

Its at the Carling Township office on Carling Bay Rd - council chambers - 7pm.

22 hours ago, soupkids said:

Make sure you give the sleds a good going over.

Check the carbs out well and the main drive components and bearings.

The sleds look great but you never know.

18 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Ditto on the carbs.  You'll blow one right prompt if they're even the least bit gummed up.  Have someone who's knowledgeable in carbs (read Old Guy sled mechanic) go over them properly.

Also, give the sleds a coupla short rides, then check all the bearings.  After having so little miles on them the grease is probably pretty beat in the idler bearings, so I wouldn't be surprised that some will need replacing.  Other than that, they look awesome !

They are in having a service now.  Getting rid of the two year old gas thats in them and giving them a good going over...

22 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you got an awesome deal. If the previous owner kept the outside of the sleds looking that good then chances are that he took care of the underside to. Although not too much should have gone wrong in that few miles. Good reliable starter sleds.

So the story is... The 82 year old father of the guy I bought them from bought them new because his neighbour bought a couple of sleds.  The old guy couldn't ride them, but every weekend the son would go over and start them up in the yard....  After the father passed, the son used them occasionally to go from his house to his ice fishing hut... But mostly they have been sitting in the son's garage...

15 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

Thanks Brad. If my wife gets home in time then we will go and observe.are you going?

Yeah, I think so. 

Welcome to the OC forums and to refinding sledding.  Sleds are beautiful! 

Welcome to the forum, welcome to sledding. It is a great way to spend the winter months. You may want to get away for a few days riding in other areas with your wife. Far too many to mention but one of my favourites is Spectacle Lake Lodge. I plan on taking my wife on my new to me, Venture. Enjoy

Great looking sleds. Happy trails.

Archived