Polaris Ride Command download

Old Sledder

What is it ??

Looks like it would be useless to me as most of my riding is out of cell range.

I wonder how much of your band width and monthly limit it would consume being constantly on.

If you download maps for the area you will be riding PRIOR to your trip then you don't need a cell signal/data.

Can't say for sure for those who are stuck with iPhones

I just downloaded this app. I'll have to wait and see how well it works offline on my ip6. I noticed a descrepency between its map and the ITG on how to get in and around Drumbo. 

What I tend to do with the OFSC or Polaris App, is plan the route or zoom to the Area of riding and just screen shot the map so its available without service if needed.

I have topo maps and the OC map overlaid in my GPS.

This way I know exactly where I'm lost.

This is a great tool to use. I've used it last 2 years. Formerly k ow as "rider x" app. As mentioned, download an area of map you normally ride in. I turn off my signal so it forces to use downloaded map without any data. I set it to track my rides, and when I need to, just open up my phone and I k ow exactly where I am. I mean with in reason. If there's a re route, it will not be exact. But after a ride, I simply save my ride. And have a map of my day. This year they added the group feature. If your riding with numerous people, you can all show up on the app in case any one gets lost, within an 8km radius I believe. 

1 hour ago, Cat800ltd said:

This is a great tool to use. I've used it last 2 years. Formerly k ow as "rider x" app. As mentioned, download an area of map you normally ride in. I turn off my signal so it forces to use downloaded map without any data. I set it to track my rides, and when I need to, just open up my phone and I k ow exactly where I am. I mean with in reason. If there's a re route, it will not be exact. But after a ride, I simply save my ride. And have a map of my day. This year they added the group feature. If your riding with numerous people, you can all show up on the app in case any one gets lost, within an 8km radius I believe. 

i keep sending emails to the OFSC people via Google Play to add the group feature.. been doing it like 3 years.. apparently no response is a response.. 

useless app the official OFSC one is... :(

11 hours ago, Cat800ltd said:

Therefore it will act just like a Garmin GPS, as long as you don't mind the data consumption?

On 12/5/2016 at 11:56 AM, Old Sledder said:

I found the Polaris Ride Command App available for download to my Android phone. is it a worthwhile app?

I love it, been using it the past 2 seasons

It was called RiderX last year

Works great the only issue I found is distanced traveled in not accurate but location is

1 hour ago, Old Sledder said:

Therefore it will act just like a Garmin GPS, as long as you don't mind the data consumption?

except most people you ride with have cellphones unlike expensive GPS'

34 minutes ago, FreezerBurnt said:

except most people you ride with have cellphones unlike expensive GPS'

devils advocate... aren't the smart phones more expensive than the GPS? My GPS was about $150 with no further expense. The cell phone had I bought it alone rather than part of a service package would have been about $450 but I have to pay for the monthly service which basically means I pay the $450 in installments.

53 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

devils advocate... aren't the smart phones more expensive than the GPS? My GPS was about $150 with no further expense. The cell phone had I bought it alone rather than part of a service package would have been about $450 but I have to pay for the monthly service which basically means I pay the $450 in installments.

Who do know that does not have a cell phone?

Who do you know that has a GPS

The vast majority of people get a phone as part of a monthly package, + most phones have a GPS built into them that you can use out of cell range

My buddy used a $80 7inch tablet as a GPS using off line maps that he mounted to his sled

But you are right if you bought your phone out right and bought a cheap GPS unit, the GPS would be the cheaper option but again that $450 phone has the ability to be your GPS and uploads are easier

I just wish the OFSC app would download maps on wifi while at home or you optionally force a map update enroute should you need to, conserving bandwidth and battery.  Then just just have a button you push to use cell data to locate your position and place it on the map and zoom in should you need to.  Otherwise it won't use data.  

That just seems like common sense to me.   Also seems like a simple map app to write.  I just don't get why the OFSC one is so bad.

9 hours ago, atomic said:

I just wish the OFSC app would download maps on wifi while at home or you optionally force a map update enroute should you need to, conserving bandwidth and battery.  Then just just have a button you push to use cell data to locate your position and place it on the map and zoom in should you need to.  Otherwise it won't use data.  

That just seems like common sense to me.   Also seems like a simple map app to write.  I just don't get why the OFSC one is so bad.

to be fair, the OFSC has delivered an app with the absolute bare minimum effort, and no extra frills have ever been added.. 

Sounds like a business opportunity for someone with an entrepreneurial bent and some programming skillzs.

I use Backcountry navigator on tablet and phone., NO data/cell service required. Ever. If there was a way to put the sled trails on it, I'd pay for that.

I downloaded the Polaris app, but trails near where I live are missing. That said, paper maps really suck. Trails are missing on my local map too.  I appreciate the effort, the sponsors, etc. but a vague trail on a badly scaled map with no roads for reference is pretty much useless. If you're cruising along a trail, and come to a road crossing, logic, and 40+ years of using maps (I LOVE maps...) tells me I should be able to pinpoint where I am. 

Just got app and look forward to trying it. I like that I was able to download maps so no data required. The ofsc app is ok at best. That's why you always carry a paper map. 

2 hours ago, manotickmike said:

paper maps really suck. 

Really, in what way?

Archived