Sportsman lodge

Pattherat

Planning a trip to sudbury with some quebec friends on familly day weekend,is the sportsman lodge the best choice for sudbury lodging,what is the distance between new liskeard and the sportsman

I found this recent article to be an interesting overiew of some Sudbury area options:

http://www.northeasternontario.com/super-sledding-in-greater-sudbury/

1 hour ago, Pattherat said:

what is the distance between new liskeard and the sportsman

I get a distance of 244.1 kms by clicking on the trail segments of the online Interactive Trail Guide. Not sure of the riding time, fuel or food stops.

new liskeard to sportsman 244 km.jpg

18 minutes ago, Blake G said:

I found this recent article to be an interesting overiew of some Sudbury area options:

http://www.northeasternontario.com/super-sledding-in-greater-sudbury/

Very slim information in that article - far better off to check revrnd's guide and do a search on this forum - large post last year. Check Lively, Windy Lake - Windy Lake Motel, Pioneer Motel on trail by highway 69.....several out around Chelmsford way as well....I might eat or gas up at Rocky's but outhouses at minus 40 are not my thing...Chateau Guay and Moonlight Inn are well documented on this forum.

2 hours ago, Pattherat said:

Planning a trip to sudbury with some quebec friends on familly day weekend,is the sportsman lodge the best choice for sudbury lodging,what is the distance between new liskeard and the sportsman

I'll let some locals pipe in with distances...

My only comment regarding 'best' is that we've found CHATEAU GUAY HOTEL and the neighbouring MOONLIGHT more proximate to town, supplies, variety of breakfast/dinners.

At the Sudbury SPORTSMAN's you're out in the boonies. Breakfast, dinner and gas (often in that order) are onsite. 

You'll hear from both camps on this one. I'd stay in town first (CG or MOONLIGHT), ride out to Sportsman's on one of your trips, and then file it away for next time. 

If staying at Sportsman's , try to stay in the main lodging structure. We got the Clubhouse the one time we stayed and it's 'unique'. Minus 30 and it was drafty. Tight, ship like quarters, swinging door to bathroom. Again, it's a memory ... and a good one. The 19 year olds were in awe. A living history.

Here's the Sudbury SPORTSMANS clubhouse. Tall building in the back, from Blake's article.

Sportsmans-1024x768.jpg

The article is short on details, but it's the best I've found as an introductory overview intended for folks like myself who've not yet sledded in the Sudbury area. The article contains a few links to other articles with more details.

I totally agree that the best nitty gritty information will come, as Slomo pointed out, from the various OC discussion threads. I wouldn't leave home without perusing them in depth, and asking questions from riders on this site.

13 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Here's the Sudbury SPORTSMANS clubhouse. Tall building in the back, from Blake's article.

Great stars above, don't call it my article!! It came from The Intrepid Snowmobiler!!

22 minutes ago, Blake G said:

I wouldn't leave home without perusing them in depth, and asking questions from riders on this site.

Blake,

You should stay in the Sportsman's clubhouse. Cozy. 

:-P

24 minutes ago, Canuck said:

My only comment regarding 'best' is that we've found CHATEAU GUAY HOTEL and the neighbouring MOONLIGHT more proximate to town, supplies, variety of breakfast/dinners.

At the Sudbury SPORTSMAN's you're out in the boonies. Breatfast, dinner and gas (often in that order) are onsite. 

You'll hear from both camps on this one. I'd stay in town first (CG or MOONLIGHT), ride out to Sportsman's on one of your trips, and then file it away for next time. 

Looks like approximately 280 kms from New Liskeard to the Chateau Guay, vs the 244 to the Sportsman. I assume the Sportsman might appeal to a group planning to make a loop northward and back to Liskeard via Gowganda?

I freely admit my lack of knowledge about sledding in the area, but I am interested in looking at the guides, articles, and forum discussions.

A buddy and I stayed at the sportsmans lodge last year and it was pretty cool. We stayed in that tall building behind the sleds in the picture Canuck posted. Very tight quarters. But it's really all you need. Next time we go, we'll be staying in the clubhouse, if it's available. Hot tub on site, decent food, and a pretty cool experience! Can't help you out on travel distance from new liskeard to the sportsman though...

Great point, Blake (no, not that you're "not the author") but the fact that Sportsman's is used by many for just that reason. It's proximate to the northeastern towns. If embarking on this trip, Pattherat, find out when the dinner serving 'window' is. It's not a restaurant, but more of a sit down 'serve all' dinner environment. 

"Lep" on this forum has stayed at Sportsman's a lot. He may chime in as the season begins.

1 hour ago, Blake G said:

Great stars above, don't call it my article!! It came from The Intrepid Snowmobiler!!

Well, your trail pass dollars paid for it.....

(Sudbury....my home town)

1 hour ago, Canuck said:

I'll let some locals pipe in with distances...

At the Sudbury SPORTSMAN's you're out in the boonies. Breakfast, dinner and gas (often in that order) are onsite. 

If staying at Sportsman's , try to stay in the main lodging structure. We got the Clubhouse the one time we stayed and it's 'unique'. Minus 30 and it was drafty. Tight, ship like quarters, swinging door to bathroom. Again, it's a memory ... and a good one. The 19 year olds were in awe. A living history.

Sportsmans-1024x768.jpg

Bazinga.

31 minutes ago, slomo said:

Well, your trail pass dollars paid for it.....

(Sudbury....my home town)

Sorry Slomo. That is a freelance article.. 

I have heard both good and bad reviews of the Sportsman.  Gas, while onsite, is priced at remote access pricing (which is understandable).  However, pricing nearer town is much more reasonable. 

My usual choice is Chateau Guay or Moonlight.  We will be staying at the Windy Lake Motel for the first time this winter, but it will be about a week before your trip.

AC+YA has given good reviews, though.

Panther, the link Slomo mentioned is in my sig'.

I can't help much on the Sudbury area s the only place we stayed @ is no longer in business. That being said we had planned on staying @ the Chateau Guay 1 year, but snow conditions didn't co-operate before our arrival from the south. We were going to stage there for our Northern Blastoff. The owner had no problem w/ us cancelling the rooms.

George at the sportsman's is a great guy, he has been a great asset to our club in the north east section of our trails.

For your intended trip I would recommend staying at the sportsman's just due to the proximity of NL.

I will be brutally honest about the trails in and out of Sudbury can be (usually are) brutality rough on the weekends.

Sportsman's is all inclusive (breakfast and dinner) and George is the type of guy that will sit down and have a beer with you.

I would reserve sooner than later.

Feel free to PM me directly for any information on Sudbury.

+2 on George being a great guy. We ran into some issues on the Wolf loop and George went way beyond what I would consider being concerned and helpful and we weren't even staying at his lodge.

Sledded from Kearney to Sudbury a couple of years ago. Stayed at the Moonlight Inn .Nice clean place with a continental breakfast.Right across the street is the Chateau Guay. They also have rooms to rent but have great food. We stayed a few days and did a couple of loops out of the Moonlight Inn.The trail comes right into the Moonlight Inn. You have Royal Distributing right down the street.  The owner "Mayer" is involved with the local snowmobile club. He knows the trails well. We did the Wolf mountain loop and the Moose loop. Mayer took us to the Lcbo store for some after sledding refreshments. We gave him a tip which he appreciated.Stopped at the Sportsman for gas midweek. It was pricey but i rather ride my sled then push it.Lol..Visited the local Gentlemen's club in Sudbury. Then rode from Sudbury to North Bay and back to Kearney. If you are staying in the Sudbury area i would stay at either Moonlight Inn or Chateau Guay. I stayed at the Sportsman back in 1996. It was ok. You could see thru the walls to the other rooms. It is rustic if that is what you are looking for. The food was good just not alot of choices.Don't know what it is like now. Just my 02 cents... 

Slomo was right: this thread is getting into some of the very useful and more detailed information!

Going easy it is about 7 hours from new Liskerad and about 9 if you go back through shinning tree

9 hours ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

Sorry Slomo. That is a freelance article.. 

Whatever....if you say so.....I do remember the email Nicholson sent the Sudbury Trail Plan after one of his visits to the area- not a word of thanks to STP for the privilege of riding their trails and their free labour to create them - but to complain in an imperious tone about what he thought was the lack of signage among other quibbles.... well written up on the old Freedom Sledder forum....

• 4 weeks later...

We have stayed at Chauteau Guay and Sportsman. if you don't need to go in to Sudbury stay at Sportsman, far more convenient and avoid the mass of trails in and out of Sudbury.

Real attraction of the sportsman is it is right near wolf loop trail and wolf mountain (tallest area in the region). It is a blast running up to the top of the mountain and over looking the area. That is a must do if in area. I remember the loop being about 70 miles, so if you arrive early and have 1.5 hours before supper then it is a must do. I would rather do that then run another 50 Km's  into Sudbury.  

I haven't been to the area since 2005 an Indian guy owned it then. I was there one day after a guy was de headed in a head on collision on C trail near shinning tree. There was still blood all over the area and bright purple ribbons. Pretty scary stuff. 

Take it easy on that trail and keep right or you may die too. 

Good point re: getting a ride in on the arrival day, (Grisly) VR700. I'll keep that in mind for future travels up that way. 

Archived