Everything's legal..

Turbo Doo

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

Good boy!!!! As long as you do your walk arounds to make sure everything is OK and you have all the related paperwork then there should be no tickets for you.

If you plate it as personal use do you need to do the pre-trip inspections? I believe that is only a requirement for commercial use.

19 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

If you plate it as personal use do you need to do the pre-trip inspections? I believe that is only a requirement for commercial use.

A little birdie aka a OPP officer told me it's a good idea to keep a small note pad and write down when you do your pre trip inspections..

17 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

A little birdie aka a OPP officer told me it's a good idea to keep a small note pad and write down when you do your pre trip inspections..

So it is precautionary as opposed to legally required?

These yellow safety stickers are required by law if your vehicle and trailers GVWR are over 4500kgs..Not by what your truck can tow.. Only thing that does not need them is a camping trailer..Even single axle trailers will require them if both trailer and truck totalled together are over 4500kgs..And the dodge in the pic requires it with or without a trailer cause it's a 2500 HD..

If you licence the truck as 8800 lbs. then you don't have to do the truck log, driver log and daily walk around inspection form. This is what I have done. If you get caught over weight then they may give you a warning . If you get an over zealous  MTO officer or a cop then you could wind up with a crap load of tickets. The only defense that you have is that you only have a G license. If they know I have a mechanics licence then they throw the book at me because I am supposed to know better. FYI, any vehicle that had or is supposed to have a black and white plate is considered a commercial vehicle even if it is privately owned with a red sticker. Personalized vehicle plates are no excuse.

14 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

If you licence the truck as 8800 lbs. then you don't have to do the truck log, driver log and daily walk around inspection form. This is what I have done. If you get caught over weight then they may give you a warning . If you get an over zealous  MTO officer or a cop then you could wind up with a crap load of tickets. The only defense that you have is that you only have a G license. If they know I have a mechanics licence then they throw the book at me because I am supposed to know better. FYI, any vehicle that had or is supposed to have a black and white plate is considered a commercial vehicle even if it is privately owned with a red sticker. Personalized vehicle plates are no excuse.

Actually the ownership for the Chevy and the dodge both say COM on them..meaning commercial.

1 hour ago, catinental couch said:

You are correct except that the red sticker  on the commercial (black and white plate) denotes that the vehicle is for personal use (aka not for commercial use). Personalized plates are only as there name suggests and have nothing at all to do with whether a vehicle is registered for commercial use or personal use.

3 hours ago, catinental couch said:

Good boy!!!! As long as you do your walk arounds to make sure everything is OK and you have all the related paperwork then there should be no tickets for you.

I am sure they will find something to fine him for. They are good at giving out fines that are not deserved in areas far far from home.

Light trailer that transmit less than 2800 kilograms are not included in GVW. I got this from the MTO sight. I tried to attach it here but I can't get it to work. So the way "I" read it, as long as your trailer is less than 2800kg your golden(basically any single axle). Of course that doesn't mean that any tax collecting OPP or MTO officer can't ruin your day if they feel the need.

Just put in a few bunk beds and it becomes a camper. No need for any stickers :) 

7 hours ago, Daves said:

Light trailer that transmit less than 2800 kilograms are not included in GVW. I got this from the MTO sight. I tried to attach it here but I can't get it to work. So the way "I" read it, as long as your trailer is less than 2800kg your golden(basically any single axle). Of course that doesn't mean that any tax collecting OPP or MTO officer can't ruin your day if they feel the need.

Please provide the link to that 

8 hours ago, Daves said:

That's not quite right. IQ Turbo's statement below is correct. If the combined registered weight of the tow vehicle and trailer excedes 4500 kg then you are required to have the annual yellow sticker on both vehicles.

The 2800 kg refers to actual weight going down the road. The MTO will not count the weight of the trailer against the registered weight of the tow vehicle until the trailer weight excedes 2800 kg.

I do this every day. My trucks are all plate registered for 4500 kg (3/4 and 1 tons). All have yellow stickers. I have several dual axle and single axle trailers, all yellow stickers.

Because I register all the trucks at 4500 kg, I can't pull any type of trailer without a yellow sticker since the truck takes up the allowance of registered weight.

Now I can pull a dual axle trailer with 2 - 5 ton axles legally as long as the trailer weight going down the road doesn't excede 2800 kg. If it does then the weight of the trailer is counted against my 4500 kg registered weight and I'm over loaded.

I register the trucks at 4500 kg since once you register over that you are required to have a CVOR (wich requires keeping recorded circle checks and log books).

I've had plenty of heated discussions at the side of the road. MTO officers usually know there stuff. The MTO "Trained" OPP are ........... let's just say not well trained.

12 hours ago, IQ TURBO said:

These yellow safety stickers are required by law if your vehicle and trailers GVWR are over 4500kgs..Not by what your truck can tow.. Only thing that does not need them is a camping trailer..Even single axle trailers will require them if both trailer and truck totalled together are over 4500kgs..And the dodge in the pic requires it with or without a trailer cause it's a 2500 HD..

Thought I would put my 2 cents worth in too since I run with yellow stickers on my 1/2 ton pickup and single axle trailer.  GVWR on truck is 7000 lbs  (on the door pillar) and add the GVWR of trailer of 3500 lbs (on the sticker on the tongue) and over 9900 lbs ( which is 4500 kg)  so yellow stickers. Now for the licensing/ registering of the truck. I read on the MTO site, and stated above, if the trailer transmits to the ground less then 2800 kg you need to add the tongue weight of the trailer to the registration weight of the plate and if the trailer transmits more than 2800 kg to the road you need to add the GVWR of the trailer to the registration weight of the plate.   Blackstar   had all this on the forum I believe last year with MTO pics and all.  Of course the ONLY trailers exempt are campers. But if you pull with a truck with GVWR of more than 4500 kg the truck needs a sticker but RV doesn't.  And if the trailer is homemade  there are different rules again since there is probably no GVWR for trailer.  I have a homemade landscaper that I am sure I am ok with without stickers. Running a light duty tire on it.  Anyway I carry MTO printed copies with me always.  I think this is an important topic since we all seem to pull some sort of trailer and I don't like to hear guys getting these big fines from MTO.

Move to the north and this whole topic becomes irrelevant.

Never ever seen or heard of anyone pulling a personal looking trailer being stopped.

Some should though.

MTO up here tends to pick on the logging trucks. if they ever started with person vehicles they would have to increase their numbers by 100%.

I was told at MTO that I could not register my truck as Personal Use because it was too heavy. (Ford F250 GVWR 4500 kg Veh Wt 3051 Kg) Does this make sense to any of the experts?  The truck is only used for personal use and tows my snowmobile trailer and occasionally a box trailer.

2 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

Thought I would put my 2 cents worth in too since I run with yellow stickers on my 1/2 ton pickup and single axle trailer.  GVWR on truck is 7000 lbs  (on the door pillar) and add the GVWR of trailer of 3500 lbs (on the sticker on the tongue) and over 9900 lbs ( which is 4500 kg)  so yellow stickers. Now for the licensing/ registering of the truck. I read on the MTO site, and stated above, if the trailer transmits to the ground less then 2800 kg you need to add the tongue weight of the trailer to the registration weight of the plate and if the trailer transmits more than 2800 kg to the road you need to add the GVWR of the trailer to the registration weight of the plate.   Blackstar   had all this on the forum I believe last year with MTO pics and all.  Of course the ONLY trailers exempt are campers. But if you pull with a truck with GVWR of more than 4500 kg the truck needs a sticker but RV doesn't.  And if the trailer is homemade  there are different rules again since there is probably no GVWR for trailer.  I have a homemade landscaper that I am sure I am ok with without stickers. Running a light duty tire on it.  Anyway I carry MTO printed copies with me always.  I think this is an important topic since we all seem to pull some sort of trailer and I don't like to hear guys getting these big fines from MTO.

That is why so many 2500 (3/4 ton) trucks that tow RV trailers, to stay below the 4500.

1 hour ago, sledjunk said:

I was told at MTO that I could not register my truck as Personal Use because it was too heavy. (Ford F250 GVWR 4500 kg Veh Wt 3051 Kg) Does this make sense to any of the experts?  The truck is only used for personal use and tows my snowmobile trailer and occasionally a box trailer.

You can register your 2500 at 4000 to stay below the 4500, usually those that use for personal use only will do this, otherwise 4500 is the registered weight, CVOR and yellow stickers needed, which is how I understood it and like Blackstar noted above.

2 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

Anyway I carry MTO printed copies with me always. 

Talking to a friend @ work years ago. He was holding quite a large booklet stapled together. I asked him what that was about since I could see the Province of Ontario trillium logo on it. It was the trailering regs that he'd just photocopied. He wanted to have the regs w/ him when he was trailering his trucks. He always chained his loads the same way. Most of the time he'd go thru inspection clean, but occasionally someone would find fault w/ his rigging ever though the week before it was OK.

Archived