Everything's legal..

Turbo Doo

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

You do have the option to register the vehicle with the MTO at a lower RGVW than what the actual vehicle rating is. Just don't get caught over what you register it for. My F150 came with an optional GVW package that meant the plates were going to cost me more based on the RGVW. The dealer when they plated the truck registered it with a lower RGVW than is on the sticker on the door pillar. I'm not sure if there is a lower limit that you can use but you can use a lower number.

I believe you can license a commercial vehicle for any weight you want to as long as that registered weight is more than the empty weight that is in the NVIS card.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are the prices for a safety?  Is it a pretty standard rate or do shops make up there own price 

28 minutes ago, yamaha06 said:

What are the prices for a safety?  Is it a pretty standard rate or do shops make up there own price 

Varying prices for the inspection process. Required repairs to pass the safety inspection are extra.

6 hours ago, 02Sled said:

You do have the option to register the vehicle with the MTO at a lower RGVW than what the actual vehicle rating is. Just don't get caught over what you register it for. My F150 came with an optional GVW package that meant the plates were going to cost me more based on the RGVW. The dealer when they plated the truck registered it with a lower RGVW than is on the sticker on the door pillar. I'm not sure if there is a lower limit that you can use but you can use a lower number.

Sure you can.  But I was referring to the Yellow Annual Safety. If the truck has a RGVW over 4500kg, it requires a yellow sticker regardless of what you register it for.

And dealers are terrible for registering vehicles. Twice I have bought F350's from dealers, and the plates were registered for 3000kg. The one truck was pulled over by the MTO and weighed 3200kg empty.....lol

1 hour ago, yamaha06 said:

I just had a truck and trailer done and it was $90/each for the safety plus $10/each for the sticker.

53 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I just had a truck and trailer done and it was $90/each for the safety plus $10/each for the sticker.

Really starts to add up:

• $209.00 for the plate sticker
  • $90.00 for truck inspection
  • $90.00 for the trailer inspection
  • $20.00 for the two stickers
  • Does the CVOR have a cost associated with it - I am sure it does?
  • Plus anything you need to do get your truck and trailer to pass.... 

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

The shop must do a full and thorough brake and safety inspection it is worth the cost. Honestly this is one of the few govt programs that I agree with 

2 hours ago, Wildbill said:

The shop must do a full and thorough brake and safety inspection it is worth the cost. Honestly this is one of the few govt programs that I agree with 

I don't have a problem with it. My sled trailer goes out in the winter when the roads are wet and salty then its lucky if I move it between March and December.

There is always brake issues. This year it was over $800 in brake parts and bearings.

3 hours ago, stoney said:

Really starts to add up:

• $209.00 for the plate sticker
  • $90.00 for truck inspection
  • $90.00 for the trailer inspection
  • $20.00 for the two stickers
  • Does the CVOR have a cost associated with it - I am sure it does?
  • Plus anything you need to do get your truck and trailer to pass.... 

To register for a CVOR is $250, Yearly renewal is $50.

10 hours ago, Blackstar said:

To register for a CVOR is $250, Yearly renewal is $50.

Ya, I googled it after, knew there would be a fee.....easy come, easy go....

Archived