Everything's legal..

Turbo Doo

7 hours ago, catinental couch said:

Maybe we can start a collection of retired dealer/ road test plates. PLC and myself can get it started. Where will we have the museum?

On the C trail north of Timmins at the warm up shack where the trail cuts off to go to Smooth Rock Falls. There is always a smile on my face when I stop there!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Service Ontario offices are just franchises so what they tell you may be correct but is really just an opinion. 

If your truck weighs less than 6600 lb. empty (which is likely) then she should have been able to change it anyway. Is there an empty weight on the left side of your trucks registration (ownership) ?

I don't have a 3/4 ton but my 1/2 ton came with a GVWR package as part of an overall equipment package. I don't recall the actual weight it was registered for but it was more than the usual due to the optional GVWR package. The net result was that my plates cost me more money. I noticed the cost of plates difference when I was picking up the truck from the dealer. I left there, went to Service Ontario and had the GVWR reduced and they gave me a partial refund on the plates.

3 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Service Ontario offices are just franchises so what they tell you may be correct but is really just an opinion. 

If your truck weighs less than 6600 lb. empty (which is likely) then she should have been able to change it anyway. Is there an empty weight on the left side of your trucks registration (ownership) ?

Yes, 3051 Kg so I guess more than 6600 Lbs :-(  Just looked and the plate on the door pillar lists GVWR as 4491.

39 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

Yes, 3051 Kg so I guess more than 6600 Lbs :-(  Just looked and the plate on the door pillar lists GVWR as 4491.

Hey SJ    From the way I understand it that is fine for the registration of the truck only.  Now you need to add in the trailer. If it's an RV then no worries, nothing needs to change. If it is anything else you need to determine if it transmits more or less than 2800 kg to the ground.   A tandem axel sled trailer will be greater than 2800 kg so you need to add the GVWR of the trailer to the tow vehicle then register it for that much.  If it's personal no CVOR but if it's not personal then CVOR is needed. 

31 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

Hey SJ    From the way I understand it that is fine for the registration of the truck only.  Now you need to add in the trailer. If it's an RV then no worries, nothing needs to change. If it is anything else you need to determine if it transmits more or less than 2800 kg to the ground.   A tandem axel sled trailer will be greater than 2800 kg so you need to add the GVWR of the trailer to the tow vehicle then register it for that much.  If it's personal no CVOR but if it's not personal then CVOR is needed. 

Even commercial does not require a CVOR if licensed at or below 4400 kg.

22 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

Even commercial does not require a CVOR if licensed at or below 4400 kg.

Yes  I am commercial and licensed under 4500    I am very glad I bought a single axle trailer that transmits less than 2800 kg to the ground.  Kept my registered weight low enough for no CVOR

26 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

Register it for 4400kg and plead stupid if you are ever weighed. The fines for over weight are far less than all the other fines you will get. Just make sure you have a yellow sticker on both the truck and the trailer.

With the stickers it is unlikely you get pulled over on your own.  We have had random checks around here and everything gets looked at. Again, I agree plead stupid especially if personal.

Thanks guys.  I thought the CVOR was for over 4500Kg not 4400.  Also, my trailer weighs in around 1650 Lbs or 750 Kg.  Max weight is 5000 Lbs or 2270 Kg.  I am well under the 2800.

Maybe as much as 1750 Kg fully loaded (3 sleds)

25 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

Thanks guys.  I thought the CVOR was for over 4500Kg not 4400.  Also, my trailer weighs in around 1650 Lbs or 750 Kg.  Max weight is 5000 Lbs or 2270 Kg.  I am well under the 2800.

Maybe as much as 1750 Kg fully loaded (3 sleds)

Yes  You are golden   I reread the MTO outline on the other thread    The trailer needs to be weighed and determined if it's 2800 kg or not. You look like you're under so no need to bump up your RGW on the truck.   The GVWR of the trailer is only needed for determining if the combined truck and trailer need a yellow sticker.  

• 1 month later...

Bringing this thread back up.  How many guys actually run the yellow safety stickers on your truck and trailer?  Was pulled over last night at around 10pm by the OPP on my way home from snowmobiling.  (Was 1 exit away from getting off the 401.)  Anyway to make a long story short was pulled over because they were unable to run my license plate on the truck as they could not see it.  As I was pulled over they ended up informing me I do not have a safety sticker for truck and trailer and I required one since truck is a 2014 2500HD and trailer is a tandem axle.  They were going to make me unhook the trailer and get it towed but ended up talking my way out of that and just ended up with other tickets.  Funny thing is I didn't see one truck or trailer up north that had the yellow safety sticker, I thought it was not needed if it was for personal use but apparently not.  Pisses me off getting nailed for this stuff when it's an obvious safe set up but then you see people towing single sled trailers with cars or decent size trailers with little SUV's.

I agree with you Y 06 but the law is if truck and trailer added together are capable of carrying over 4500 kg then both the truck and the trailer have to be safety stickered. My dually has to have a safety sticker just to drive down the road empty. If I am hauling a garden trailer, it has to be stickered as well.

8 minutes ago, yamaha06 said:

Bringing this thread back up.  How many guys actually run the yellow safety stickers on your truck and trailer?  Was pulled over last night at around 10pm by the OPP on my way home from snowmobiling.  (Was 1 exit away from getting off the 401.)  Anyway to make a long story short was pulled over because they were unable to run my license plate on the truck as they could not see it.  As I was pulled over they ended up informing me I do not have a safety sticker for truck and trailer and I required one since truck is a 2014 2500HD and trailer is a tandem axle.  They were going to make me unhook the trailer and get it towed but ended up talking my way out of that and just ended up with other tickets.  Funny thing is I didn't see one truck or trailer up north that had the yellow safety sticker, I thought it was not needed if it was for personal use but apparently not.  Pisses me off getting nailed for this stuff when it's an obvious safe set up but then you see people towing single sled trailers with cars or decent size trailers with little SUV's.

It's not so much "a safe setup" to the eye. The regulations can be confusing as heck but there are an awful lot of people running around with a wreck of a truck and a wreck of a trailer. Not necessarily obvious to the eye but mechanically.

During the summer months when the MTO and OPP run their blitz on the 400 series hwys. You see trucks and cars that don't look horrible visibly but have severe brake problems or almost lack there of, steering linkage problems and more. They pull the plates on more than a few trucks and trailers.

10 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

The Dutchmans cummins needs a safety sticker regardless. Needs one every year, with or without it towing..

It can be a real pain in the butt. My wife's horse trailer with two 3500 lb axles requires a safety sticker. My truck on it's own doesn't require a safety sticker. In order to legally tow the horse trailer the truck requires the safety sticker. Once the truck has a safety sticker, the two sled hybrid trailer now needs one as well when connected to the truck. On it's own connected to a truck that doesn't need a safety sticker the sled trailer doesn't. Clear as mud.

1 hour ago, yamaha06 said:

It is not so much the tow vehicle as is the combined weight of the tow vehicle and trailer....could be a 1/2 ton truck and still exceed the 10,000 lbs requiring the stickers on both truck & trailer.

1 ton trucks have a registered weight over the weight limitations, so sticker for the empty truck....& now all trailers that the 1 ton truck tows.

3/4 ton trucks have a lowered registered weight, not requiring the sticker while sitting empty.

Personal use has nothing to due with the Yellow sticker.....that is the CVOR.

2 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

It can be a real pain in the butt. My wife's horse trailer with two 3500 lb axles requires a safety sticker. My truck on it's own doesn't require a safety sticker. In order to legally tow the horse trailer the truck requires the safety sticker. Once the truck has a safety sticker, the two sled hybrid trailer now needs one as well when connected to the truck. On it's own connected to a truck that doesn't need a safety sticker the sled trailer doesn't. Clear as mud.

Was actually going to ask for info on the above.  I agree that the sled trailer combined with your half ton pick up don't have a combined rating of 4500 kg so no sticker is required with this combination.  If the truck has one it's only because of the heavier trailer being towed at another time.   Never heard that all trailers being towed by stickered truck needs to be stickered.  If this is the case I will be covering up my yellow sticker when I pull any of my lighter trailers.

3 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

Was actually going to ask for info on the above.  I agree that the sled trailer combined with your half ton pick up don't have a combined rating of 4500 kg so no sticker is required with this combination.  If the truck has one it's only because of the heavier trailer being towed at another time.   Never heard that all trailers being towed by stickered truck needs to be stickered.  If this is the case I will be covering up my yellow sticker when I pull any of my lighter trailers.

This is true, been this way for a while......kind of sucks if the person has a few trailers and one of them is a dual axle with more weight requiring the Yellow sticker !

23 hours ago, stoney said:

It is not so much the tow vehicle as is the combined weight of the tow vehicle and trailer....could be a 1/2 ton truck and still exceed the 10,000 lbs requiring the stickers on both truck & trailer.

1 ton trucks have a registered weight over the weight limitations, so sticker for the empty truck....& now all trailers that the 1 ton truck tows.

3/4 ton trucks have a lowered registered weight, not requiring the sticker while sitting empty.

Personal use has nothing to due with the Yellow sticker.....that is the CVOR.

Plenty crew cab 3/4 tons now come rated over 4500 kg requiring a yellow sticker.

38 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Plenty crew cab 3/4 tons now come rated over 4500 kg requiring a yellow sticker.

You do have the option to register the vehicle with the MTO at a lower RGVW than what the actual vehicle rating is. Just don't get caught over what you register it for. My F150 came with an optional GVW package that meant the plates were going to cost me more based on the RGVW. The dealer when they plated the truck registered it with a lower RGVW than is on the sticker on the door pillar. I'm not sure if there is a lower limit that you can use but you can use a lower number.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, and plenty do not....especially the gas 3/4 vs. the diesel.

There is a reason you see so many folks towing their 5th wheel campers with 3/4 ton trucks, even though they are border line or over on their payload weights, obviously they are cheaper but they also normally do not require the Yellow sticker.

Archived