Everything's legal..

Turbo Doo

have they always been that anal?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel sorry for you guys down south.

Enforcement agencies with FA better to do !!!

4 hours ago, IQ TURBO said:

Still need a safety on the trailer..

Not entirely true, depends on the trailer type, weight, etc...

3 hours ago, FreezerBurnt said:

have they always been that anal?

No, they started to get a lot more involved in personal use towing maybe 10 or 12 years ago....at least from my experiences.

As much as it does suck, there were and still are lots of people towing recklessly, so it is mostly a good thing, just needs to be more black & white, consistent enforcement and I think the law could be loosened up some, but that will not happen...

Visual police presence on the roads would be more beneficial than all the ridiculous regulations.

Etesting was proven to have no benefit 15 years ago.

It's just a tax.

6 hours ago, IQ TURBO said:

Only thing that is exempt from the 4500 total GVWR is a RV and or camper house trailer..

Well frigg ... there's no problem here .... you need a little wee motor home and a gutted out 20' camper .... problem solved.!!! 

I don't agree with the drive clean BS any more than anybody else. The lesson here being that the scientists have proven,  and since I was sceptical I did my own test,that Orillia is 10 times as polluted as Huntsville. We had the 5 gas analyzer running one day and I noticed that the air that we were breathing contained 80 ppm hydrocarbon. I thought that is awful dirty air. We had a Crown Victoria in the shop for unrelated work so we put the wand in the tailpipe. The readings were HC, CO, NOX, O2, and Dilution were all "0". The air coming out of the tailpipe was cleaner than the air going in the engine with the exception of breathable oxygen. The drive clean program was supposed to end in 2017 but who knows what Kathleen and her cronies will do. The bottom line: they need our small vehicles running clean to clean the air from other fossil fuel burning entities that are not regulated. EG: trains, ships, aircraft, older transport trucks etc. Aren't you proud to be paying to clean up the mess of others.!!!!!!

9 hours ago, Wildbill said:

The safety is not a big deal those freaking electric brakes need annual service anyhow 

I agree that the safety isn't a big deal. I service my own stuff and it is always top notch. The issue I have is paying for a "service" in order to keep the government happy. I realize that alot of people don't look after their stuff and forcing some sort of maintenance may have it's merits but I don't see any difference between a enclosed sled trailer and an RV except that the RV is exemped. I'm a commercial driver and I am strictly regulated but a 90 year old citizen can jump into his RV that hasn't moved in 10 months, load it full of junk and drive it 26 hours straight to Florida. Thats where I get a little fed up with these rules.If I can avoid the time and expense that it takes to get my 2016 truck and 2017 trailer safetied I will. It also seems to me that main reason for these vague and contradictary rules are so that the MTO can nail us to generate revenue.

What i haven't figured out is how somebody like WB or my self can deliver a customers trailer. Say the Truck is stickerd.So trailer has to be?? Not going to happen. So no company name on the truck. Hope for the best. As Soupkid said the near North has no where the enforcement as the south.

35 minutes ago, gtserider said:

What i haven't figured out is how somebody like WB or my self can deliver a customers trailer. Say the Truck is stickerd.So trailer has to be?? Not going to happen. So no company name on the truck. Hope for the best. As Soupkid said the near North has no where the enforcement as the south.

You need a dealer's plate.  Then when you get pulled over, you show the officer your dealer plate ownerships, a copy of the bill of sale of the trailer, and your vehicle ownership & stickers.  There's no argument to have there.

11 hours ago, Denis007 said:

You need a dealer's plate.  Then when you get pulled over, you show the officer your dealer plate ownerships, a copy of the bill of sale of the trailer, and your vehicle ownership & stickers.  There's no argument to have there.

It sounds like you know this from experience.

14 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Actually Denis, in Ontario if you were delivering the trailer as part of the sale of the trailer and are not a licensed tech, you need a white dealer plate. If you were repairing the trailer and are a licensed tech then you need a yellow dealer plate.

The delivery driver we have who works for our service dept. delivering trucks to and from the customer  for service has to use a white dealer plate because he isn't a licensed tech.

It has gotten way too complicated for me!

4 hours ago, soupkids said:

It sounds like you know this from experience.

Not as much experience as PLC it seems .... but yeah, if in doubt, throw a dealer plate on it.  They'll see at least it's got something to do with a garage and not pick on you just for shits and giggles.  We don't have a fraction of the problems y'all get down beyond the Bay, not enough manpower.... hell, most idiots around here don't bother hooking up the light connector anyway.....

PLC, sounds like you've been down that road a time or two .....

bottom line... understanding all this trailer / tow vehicle stuff is on the verge of actually being rocket science.

4 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Not as much experience as PLC it seems .... but yeah, if in doubt, throw a dealer plate on it.  They'll see at least it's got something to do with a garage and not pick on you just for shits and giggles.  We don't have a fraction of the problems y'all get down beyond the Bay, not enough manpower.... hell, most idiots around here don't bother hooking up the light connector anyway.....

I don't know about a lack of manpower in the black and white camp. All the black and whites in Orillia are either hiding or at the coffee shop. I drove to Carling and every time I look around, there is another black and white. From just south of Mactier, all the way to Carling I would see one or two sitting at the side of the highway or north or southbound.

On 12/4/2016 at 9:28 AM, IQ TURBO said:

All I know is that I'm now legal...:D:D

See what you started! LOL

(the exchange of great info.)

6 hours ago, Denis007 said:

41+ years of dealer plates Denis. Getting ready to hang the plate up permanently.

12 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

41+ years of dealer plates Denis. Getting ready to hang the plate up permanently.

Maybe we can start a collection of retired dealer/ road test plates. PLC and myself can get it started. Where will we have the museum?

Went to ServiceOntario yesterday to lower my GVWR to 4200 Kg and change the plate to Personal Use Only.

I was told that PUO plates / sticker is only for vehicles that weigh less than 3000 Kg and that the GVWR of 4500 should be OK because the restrictions come in at over 4500 Kg.

Is she correct? or should I find another SO branch?

TIA

Find another branch or force her to call the hot line for verification. The information you seek came to me directly from an MTO officer/supervisor. The only thing she may be correct on is that you may not be able to put a personal use only stickered plate on a three quarter ton truck.

4 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Went to ServiceOntario yesterday to lower my GVWR to 4200 Kg and change the plate to Personal Use Only.

I was told that PUO plates / sticker is only for vehicles that weigh less than 3000 Kg and that the GVWR of 4500 should be OK because the restrictions come in at over 4500 Kg.

Is she correct? or should I find another SO branch?

TIA

Service Ontario offices are just franchises so what they tell you may be correct but is really just an opinion. 

If your truck weighs less than 6600 lb. empty (which is likely) then she should have been able to change it anyway. Is there an empty weight on the left side of your trucks registration (ownership) ?

Archived