Excited Newb

johnsazzr

So this was the last sled I rode about 15 yrs ago

Then my new (FIRST) sled...

How much fun am I in for???   I feel like a 9 yr old, not 48....shite!

bikepics-781235-full.jpg

ZR5000LXR_129_Org_2016.png

Congratulations! You'll Love it.

I doubt you'll find much difference between the those sleds....

:lol:

Just a wee bit of an upgrade .... fasten your seat belt .... :D

31 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

Just a wee bit of an upgrade .... fasten your seat belt .... :D

Wait....these things have seat belts Now? 

I'm new Too!   It can't snow soon enough.  

Congrats.!  Nice sled.

• 3 weeks later...

Had my first ride on Friday to Fenelon Falls from Lindsay...fun...very different from 150hp motorcycles....comfy and smooth....sure do need a mirror as people have recommended...bought a set and installed one for now...makes it pretty tight in the 5x10 cargo trailer...not the sled...just my ass trying to get around it....had to ride with visor up...no matter what I did glasses fog up....going to get some defogger but just to hold me over until the contact lenses I have ordered come in....have not worn them in yrs but will work well for sledding days....

index.jpg

1 hour ago, johnsazzr said:

Had my first ride on Friday to Fenelon Falls from Lindsay...fun...very different from 150hp motorcycles....comfy and smooth....sure do need a mirror as people have recommended...bought a set and installed one for now...makes it pretty tight in the 5x10 cargo trailer...not the sled...just my ass trying to get around it....had to ride with visor up...no matter what I did glasses fog up....going to get some defogger but just to hold me over until the contact lenses I have ordered come in....have not worn them in yrs but will work well for sledding days....

index.jpg

Sledding while wearing glasses is a challenge. Everyone is different but there can be success. It is a hard fought art form, but for starters, get a heated visor, coupled with the best vented helmet you can find. Good luck and don't give up.

Contacts are the way to go for sure ...

While you are moving glasses are ok but stop for a second ....poof...fog .

No contacts for me. Been sleddin' for 40 years with glasses. It takes some doing, but it can be done. 

5 hours ago, johnsazzr said:

index.jpg

Glad to hear you had a great ride. How many km's did you get in?

Those are the Cat mirrors we brought up a while ago when you first mentioned mirrors. They are what I have and in the double side by side trailer it is indeed tough to get between the two sleds. I stagger them with one a bit farther forward than the other for that purpose. When I was 20 something it wouldn't have been a problem. Now with a somewhat larger girth and the sled jacket it can be a tight fit.

As for the visor, did your helmet not come with a breath deflector? They tend to keep the warm moist air from hitting your glasses. This is the helmet my wife and I use.

Capture.JPG

The breath mask vents the warm air out the tubes on either side of the helmet. This shows the breath mask on the helmet with the neoprene and nylow neck and cheek protector that comes with it. It covers your neck quite well and also up your cheeks to the just below the eye socket and further up the outside edge. This is the breath mask itself. There is also a sort of felt pad that goes into the mask to absorb the moisture.

Capture.JPGCapture1.JPG

19 hours ago, NiagaraKev said:

Contacts are the way to go for sure ...

While you are moving glasses are ok but stop for a second ....poof...fog .

My helmet is a new Gmax Modular with breath guard and electric shield..I also had a slim cotton balaclava...did not matter where I placed the balaclava on my nose/mouth I fully fogged up instantly, at a stop or moving, unless my visor was up...will try again when I go out tomorrow

37 minutes ago, johnsazzr said:

My helmet is a new Gmax Modular with breath guard and electric shield..I also had a slim cotton balaclava...did not matter where I placed the balaclava on my nose/mouth I fully fogged up instantly, at a stop or moving, unless my visor was up...will try again when I go out tomorrow

OK, this is where some of the "art form" begins. I use a G Max as well. The venting is great for me. I run all the vents open, no matter what the temps. the mouth guards do not work for me, so I take them out. When stopping or slowing, flip the visor up. When you get some speed up, flip it down. This is subject to temps and humidity as well. Most of the time I run the visor slightly cracked open, but close it completely on cold days when I give er on the lakes. It is hard to describe exactly, and I no longer think about it. It's just second nature. 

Tried all the fancy jet pilot types of helmets with the modular mouth pieces. Too restrictive, claustrophobic, slimy and gross. Less is more.

If you can wear contacts, all the better. One less surface to worry about. For me, contacts were torture. Just can't do it. Good luck, hope you find something that works.

1 hour ago, johnsazzr said:

Sounds as though the electric heated visor wasn't working.

It's tricky to keep your glasses and the visor the same temperature, as well as close to your body temperature. Everything goes south when you are off your sled, pulling it out or something, and exerting physically and building up sweat and heat. Being a heavy mouth breather doesn't help either. Also, the shield cools down when the engine is off or you are off the machine. Maybe a battery pack backup would help - meaning to do that sometime... :)

I am in the same situation as Cuyuna.  I tried contacts, but found that I could not see anything close without reading glasses so just stuck with my regular progressives.

I cannot cover my mouth or nose with the balaclava as the breath escapes near my nose and fogs my glasses.  Someone on here years ago advised that the breath deflectors only serve to deflect your breath into your glasses.  Remove it.  Same thing with chin deflectors that keep the warm air inside.

I have tried No-Fog and other 'cures' to no avail.

Glass treatments like Cat Crap, and others help a bit but what they really do is allow the condensation to form in tiny beads instead of fog.  Usually a short lived solution, in my experience, as well as leaving a bit of a 'smudge' on the lenses which is equally annoying.

Once you get used to the setup that works for you, stick with it.  It is an annoying problem to solve, to be sure.  The idea is to make sure that your breath escapes the helmet as quickly as possible without coming near your glasses.

Even once you have a solution, there will be instances where you still get some fogging.  I find they are usually after physical exertion (getting unstuck) or first thing on extreme cold mornings.  I usually open the visor to clear and then close it again and end up cycling that a few times until things stay clear.

Good luck.

32 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

I am in the same situation as Cuyuna.  I tried contacts, but found that I could not see anything close without reading glasses so just stuck with my regular progressives.

I cannot cover my mouth or nose with the balaclava as the breath escapes near my nose and fogs my glasses.  Someone on here years ago advised that the breath deflectors only serve to deflect your breath into your glasses.  Remove it.  Same thing with chin deflectors that keep the warm air inside.

I have tried No-Fog and other 'cures' to no avail.

Glass treatments like Cat Crap, and others help a bit but what they really do is allow the condensation to form in tiny beads instead of fog.  Usually a short lived solution, in my experience, as well as leaving a bit of a 'smudge' on the lenses which is equally annoying.

Once you get used to the setup that works for you, stick with it.  It is an annoying problem to solve, to be sure.  The idea is to make sure that your breath escapes the helmet as quickly as possible without coming near your glasses.

Even once you have a solution, there will be instances where you still get some fogging.  I find they are usually after physical exertion (getting unstuck) or first thing on extreme cold mornings.  I usually open the visor to clear and then close it again and end up cycling that a few times until things stay clear.

Good luck.

Well stated. You, for sure, "get it. " Cheers !

Yeah!  I rode for years with an open face helmet to avoid this problem then when I got my new sled in '07, my wife and son told me I couldn't wear a "bowling ball on my head" and had to get a full face helmet.  That is when the problems started.  Took about a year to get a satisfactory workaround.

4 hours ago, Cuyuna said:

OK, this is where some of the "art form" begins. I use a G Max as well. The venting is great for me. I run all the vents open, no matter what the temps. the mouth guards do not work for me, so I take them out. When stopping or slowing, flip the visor up. When you get some speed up, flip it down. This is subject to temps and humidity as well. Most of the time I run the visor slightly cracked open, but close it completely on cold days when I give er on the lakes. It is hard to describe exactly, and I no longer think about it. It's just second nature. 

Tried all the fancy jet pilot types of helmets with the modular mouth pieces. Too restrictive, claustrophobic, slimy and gross. Less is more.

If you can wear contacts, all the better. One less surface to worry about. For me, contacts were torture. Just can't do it. Good luck, hope you find something that works.

Amen

got out for a couple of hrs today wth my 13 yr old daughter...her first time she loved it....conditions on rail trail were awesome ...took out the breathe guard and glass fogging was improved...will be more challenging when its colder but I wore contacts for years so they will be my back up plan....Have to say that almost every field we rode by north from Lindsay there were pretty fresh trails where folks went onto private property...not impressed...I can see the annual frustration between land owners and OFSC is such an issue...I would like to take this opportunity to personally thank all the entitled morons who frig it up for the rest of us...

15622021_10157903259670392_2330065934321720561_n.jpg

Archived