D201F Trail Domtar Road Washout and route along Hwy 129

AC+YA

58 minutes ago, AC+YA said:

If you want to be in the city, the above is what you should do.  sj has it all right. 

Another usually overlooked option which I enjoy...................

Blueberry Motel & Campgrounds is another place you can stop.  I spent a few nights last week.  Can leave trailers and no problem with parking arrangements.  Now have Sat-TV and WiFi in rooms.  Comes with breakfast and there is a heated pool.  The Zone is a bar and have food only a mile up the road and the trail runs into the motel and the Zone - gas station & store.  We like to eat there and ride back to the motel which is only a 5 minute ride.  You get your last gas there when going to Halfway Haven.  This is the closest gas to Halfway and about 35 miles from Searchmont by trail.  If you go around the south loop past Heyden it is much longer and farther.  By the way no gas in Heyden last week and no gas in Searchmont anytime soon looking at the old store which is buried under many feet of snow and plowed in.  The main D Trail has a spur which goes out to Hyw 17 Just south of the Goulias River and the Zone bar & food + gas and store and also to the Blueberry Motel which is on the east of side of Hyw 17. 

1-800-811-4411 or onblueberryhill.com if you want to check it out.

I will X2 the Blueberry. We staged there once March/96. They have plenty of parking area since they are a campground which isn't usually quite to capacity this time of year.

They are 1.5 clicks N of the bottom of "the big hill" on 17. 

I've never used any of the other features as we rolled in at 2am or later and was on the trail the next AM. 

I doo have the t-shirt tho. ;)

As you can tell from the pic, it was a rough trip up!

RigAtBlueBerryHillMarch97.jpg

Hello,

3 hours from Soo, does anyone know how we get around the two sections of trail that are unavailable (according to OFSC website) by Goulais River, and by Hayden? We will be jumping on our sleds by 2pm today.  Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

1 hour ago, Cory said:

Hello,

3 hours from Soo, does anyone know how we get around the two sections of trail that are unavailable (according to OFSC website) by Goulais River, and by Hayden? We will be jumping on our sleds by 2pm today.  Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Because you are not clear, I will assume you plan to bring sleds by trailer to SSM and ride from SSM to perhaps Halfway Haven?

If this is the case, you need to stop in Goulais River by the Zone to get gas.  Coming north from the Soo on D Trail, you need to find the spur trail which goes to the Zone out on Hwy 17 in Goulais River.  Once you have gas again, get back on D Trail and continue north.  The trail turns into Goulais Bay Road which you need to follow over the bridge (River crossing) until it turns right on Road 552.  The trail turns into the bush at the hockey rink across from the old gas staition/store which is closed now, but this is where the trail is closed through the cedar swamp.  If it is still closed, you will have to scrape along 552 until you get to Anglican Church Road which branches off to the left and take that to Hwy 17.  Then run the ditch north about a kilometer to Anderson Road which is the D Trail crossing and head east.  Then follow the groomed trail to Searchmont.  Remember there is no gas in Searchmont.  Keep some extra fuel unless you can go 150 miles on a tank of fuel.  It is not that far, but a bit extra for misc. is a good thing.

You could always make it easy and just drive to Searchmont and leave your rig at the Driftwood for a small fee.  Then you are on the trail to Halfway.

not sure what your plans are cory but, if you are trying to ride to wawa or halfway haven, my vote would be to trailer to searchmont, leave rig at driftwood, and ride to halfway from there. if you are trailering to the soo to day ride, for a few days, there are multiple routes to play on north and east. Ski

Archived