D201F Trail Domtar Road Washout and route along Hwy 129

AC+YA

Was this washout repaired over the summer?  I have not heard anything about a repair or more permanent fix.  Last season the temporary repair made it usable for sleds only, but scared some people enough to cause them to turn back and never cross.  Hats off to those who got it patched for sleds last season, but the groomers could not pass and thus grooming was affected.

On another note, the interactive map shows the D201F trail from Aubrey Falls Trading Post running north along Hwy 129 past 556 and no longer crossing the Mississagi River Bridge.  Is the trail going to bypass the hills and actually run next to Hwy 129?  Just want to know if the map is actually correct in this area.  It could be a much easier route to groom and makes sense from that stand point.  

Any info available would be greatly appreciated. 

Scott

I've taken that route several times, although we really had to fight through it at one choke point several yrs ago. 

We quit taking that route.

Looks like they have, or will be opening that 2 track up at least enough to clear a groomer? 

The choke point was between the primitive campground and Domtar.

Looks like the trail takes "Shortcut Rd" eh?

Where was Domtar worshed out at?

Doo you have a pic?

I've been down Shortcut Rd once where a trickling brook crossed above the road, but left a 5' deep gorge in the snow. Once I realized that it was all snow, we blew on through.

18 hours ago, Ox said:

I've taken that route several times, although we really had to fight through it at one choke point several yrs ago. 

We quit taking that route.

Looks like they have, or will be opening that 2 track up at least enough to clear a groomer? 

The choke point was between the primitive campground and Domtar.

Looks like the trail takes "Shortcut Rd" eh?

Where was Domtar worshed out at?

Doo you have a pic?

I've been down Shortcut Rd once where a trickling brook crossed above the road, but left a 5' deep gorge in the snow. Once I realized that it was all snow, we blew on through.

Hi Ox,

The D201F was washed out near the laughing lake turn off.  Dan Senior has informed that this washout was fixed.  Good news about the trail which connects Aubrey Falls to Halfway.  Then to Wawa or Chapleau.

Scott 

Great news guys. It was a little iffy last year I heard. I didn't venture that far north, turned around just of abey falls. Where would you stay if you ventured over to the soo, search mount or Bruce mines! I realize no gas still in search. 

7 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Great news guys. It was a little iffy last year I heard. I didn't venture that far north, turned around just of abey falls. Where would you stay if you ventured over to the soo, search mount or Bruce mines! I realize no gas still in search. 

Looks to me that if the D100 is open, you can go through to Hayden and then down to SSM.  That would mean after getting gas in Bruce Mines or Echo Bay, or at the golf course.  You could stay at a place in SSM or Blueberry Motel and campgrounds.  Of course you could stay in Bruce Mines, on St. Joseph Island, cross over to Drummond Island and stay, or go to Searchmont.

Gas is the only issue with Searchmont.  If you carry gas and have fuel efficient sleds, no problem.  If you get gas in Goulias River, you can just continue up to Halfway Haven after you stay in Searchmont.  I make that run on all of my sleds no problem, but I always have a few gallons of gas on my sleds just incase.

• 5 weeks later...

The trail to Half Way was just groomed and opened.  We ran the Domtar towards Aubrey falls a couple weeks ago breaking trail all the way.  Ended up turning around about 20 miles in due to fuel consumption.  Ran the east trail towards Bruce Mines yesterday from Connor road and about half has been groomed on the SSM side which made for great riding.  We broke trail past the bridge and found several water holes that were passable.  Closer to Bruce Mines the trails were a little rough in spots.  Overall a fantastic ride with a variety of trail condtions.

Great news!!

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 1:06 PM, AC+YA said:

Hi Ox,

The D201F was washed out near the laughing lake turn off.  Dan Senior has informed that this washout was fixed.  Good news about the trail which connects Aubrey Falls to Halfway.  Then to Wawa or Chapleau.

Scott 

D201F  trail UPDATE ON WASHOUT.

WASHOUT WAS NOT FIXED OVER THE SUMMER.  (Dan got some bad info when he inquired for me.)

I am sure the club will try to do another temporary fix on this washout, but it is a river crossing with no ice at the moment.  About 25 meters give or take 5 this is a water not ice crossing and it is 1 to 2 feet deep.  With the water flow, it will not freeze well.  I think the groomer can run through the water on the rocks, but not great for sleds. 

My daughter and I broke trail from the Whitman / Domtar warming shed all the way to the plowed Domtar end just before Ranger Lake Road.  Lots of small washouts and some sharp-deep washouts, but the river crossing was not expected.  The trail was not open, so I cannot complain and it was what we like to do. 

We will wait to see how it turns out after the trail is opened.  The washout is about a mile west of the Laughing Lake Road intersection with Domtar.  Go slow as only a ribbon of pink tape half buried in snow separates you from quite a jump down into the river and remaining culverts and rocks.  From the west there are trees stopping you.

Had a great week playing around SSM.  The trails were great and the grooming up to Halfway overall the best I have ever seen.  Just a few wet spots due to the warm before the storm.  

Now I am going to have to think about taking a different route. That is real disappointing the washout hasn't been repaired. Thank-you for the update. 

Does anyone know if there is still fuel in Searchmont. We want to travel from the Sault (Water Tower Inn) to Halfway Haven. We have been told that there is no fuel and this trek is not possible on a tank of fuel. Any local input would be appreciated. Thanks

AFAIK, no fuel in Searchmont.  You will need to fuel in Goulais River.

We are planning a trip at the beginning of February and that is the information that I have gathered.

BTW, you may want to rethink your plans for Water Tower as the trail no longer goes there.  I learned this from the president of the local club at the show.  They are recommending the Fairfield Marriott further north on Great Northern Road.

FYI. The Water Tower is no longer on a trail and is at a major traffic intersection, as we were reminded by the police when we tried to cross the road to get to the hotel. The Water tower is a nice place and we were able to keep our sleds inside the old Sault TB shed. After the 1st night we changed hotels for better access and we no longer needing the Police to stop traffic on 17 to let us cross. :oops:

We stayed at Fairfield Inn & Suites. Trail to the door.

PS Don't use Google earth to find a way to get to the Water Tower Inn. You may end up cutting through the Sault Ste Marie Police Station parking lot. :oops:

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 11.50.49 AM.png

Thanks for the info planning to run from Elliot lake to the soo, stay a night, then on to dub stay another night and then back track. My plain is one sled to carry all gear and other one to carry 20 litres of spare fuel. If I can average 300 kms per tank, is extra fuel necessary you think? 

1 hour ago, Cory said:

Does anyone know if there is still fuel in Searchmont. We want to travel from the Sault (Water Tower Inn) to Halfway Haven. We have been told that there is no fuel and this trek is not possible on a tank of fuel. Any local input would be appreciated. Thanks

It depends on your sled. I am looking to make a similar trip and both sleds can get 300 Kim's usually per tank and I am carrying 20 litres on one sled and gear on other. Worst case I don't need fuel again and I end up selling it to someone in need. 

We stayed last year at the ambassador motel at the soo the trail runs right behind the hotel and the owners are very good to us we left our truck and trailer for 9 days there. for food you will have to jump in your truck and go down the street.

zrtkat

REVED

Do you know if they will let you keep you truck and trailer there for week or so ???? will have to look into this place if the trail is close.

ZRTKAT get lost very easy^_^

4 hours ago, zrtkat said:

We stayed last year at the ambassador motel at the soo the trail runs right behind the hotel and the owners are very good to us we left our truck and trailer for 9 days there. for food you will have to jump in your truck and go down the street.

zrtkat

REVED

Do you know if they will let you keep you truck and trailer there for week or so ???? will have to look into this place if the trail is close.

ZRTKAT get lost very easy^_^

The trail runs into the back parking lot. There were trucks and trailers parker there. Would be worth a call to confirm leaving them there for that long. From the attached image you can see the parking area with the trail leading into it.

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 5.50.55 PM.png

The Trail north from Halfway Haven wasn't open when I glanced at IAFG last night. They come down from Wawa. It's north of the subject discussion, but anyone know when they're  going to break through, southbound, to HH? 

(if they have broken through southbound, and it's been posted, missed it. But IAFG has it marked red)

Thank you so much for the replies! Unfortunate about the trail not running to the Water Tower Inn, we love that place. Anyone have a recent update on the trail conditions around the Soo and Halfway Haven? Any cautions?

Check out this thread http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15037-sault-searchmont-halfway-haven/&

Dan-Senior and others that are local to that area and a great resource.  You can always drop them a PM for specific info.

Here's a local map for the City of Sault Ste. Marie.  The new trail starting last year heads north out of the city (heads south coming in).  If coming in from the north or east, It goes by the Ambassador Motel (destination), goes by the Polaris dealer, goes by Gino's Family Restaurant (breakfast, lunch, Dinner), also goes by Park Grille (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and ends at Fairfield Inn Hotel (accommodations) with Boston Pizza next door and the LCBO across the street and Walmart not much further.  This trail was a much needed addition to the city snowmobile infrastructure.  We can thank John B, president of the club, who, coincidentally, was a City Employee in the Public Works department in charge of snowplowing before his retirement.  

citymap.png

Thanks for the map, Dan.

1 hour ago, sledjunk said:

Check out this thread http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15037-sault-searchmont-halfway-haven/&

Dan-Senior and others that are local to that area and a great resource.  You can always drop them a PM for specific info.

Sure would be nice if the updates for the NORTH were in the NORTH forum....

I understand but many users primarily look in the main forum and don't drill down to the regional or club forums.  (That is what I've been told anyway.  I always start with all unread content and go through it all.  Just me, I guess)

With that logic then - you may as well close down the regional specific boards.

I ride the north only. I seldom look anywhere else unless I'm bored to absolute tears.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:33 AM, sledjunk said:

AFAIK, no fuel in Searchmont.  You will need to fuel in Goulais River.

We are planning a trip at the beginning of February and that is the information that I have gathered.

BTW, you may want to rethink your plans for Water Tower as the trail no longer goes there.  I learned this from the president of the local club at the show.  They are recommending the Fairfield Marriott further north on Great Northern Road.

If you want to be in the city, the above is what you should do.  sj has it all right. 

Another usually overlooked option which I enjoy...................

Blueberry Motel & Campgrounds is another place you can stop.  I spent a few nights last week.  Can leave trailers and no problem with parking arrangements.  Now have Sat-TV and WiFi in rooms.  Comes with breakfast and there is a heated pool.  The Zone is a bar and have food only a mile up the road and the trail runs into the motel and the Zone - gas station & store.  We like to eat there and ride back to the motel which is only a 5 minute ride.  You get your last gas there when going to Halfway Haven.  This is the closest gas to Halfway and about 35 miles from Searchmont by trail.  If you go around the south loop past Heyden it is much longer and farther.  By the way no gas in Heyden last week and no gas in Searchmont anytime soon looking at the old store which is buried under many feet of snow and plowed in.  The main D Trail has a spur which goes out to Hyw 17 Just south of the Goulias River and the Zone bar & food + gas and store and also to the Blueberry Motel which is on the east of side of Hyw 17. 

1-800-811-4411 or onblueberryhill.com if you want to check it out.

Archived