Trail loss in the Baden -St Agatha areas

It is final the trail on the north side of Baden from the 332 corner and eastbound is no more. The developer has decided he doesn't want the headaches of snowmobiles on the property. There will still be access to Baden from the west side for food and fuel. There will be no trail eastbound from Baden to St Agatha either.

Rumor has it the St Agatha club won't be staking any trails this season. It seems a lack of volunteers and Bill 100 has taken its toll. Anyone who staged out of the St Agatha community center may want to check other options. I'm not sure where the St Clements trails will start from towards St Agatha.

Just a heads up for people to do their homework before selecting a place to drop their truck and trailer.

A generous landowner has allowed us to place a warming hut on his property. It will be just north of Wilby Rd. The club has been given a trailer by another individual for this purpose. The membership has been getting everything in place and fixed up for the upcoming season. There will be a woodstove in it with an ample supply of wood.

Another landowner gave the club a central location to place a donated truck box to store the signs and stakes.

When the word got out of the loss of the clubhouse there were a number of offers to help out from our landowner group. The good relations built up over the years has certainly paid off.

I looked these places up on the map and can only assume that part of this is a result of the gradual growth of Kitchener Waterloo. It looks like there urban areas aren't that far away.

18 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I looked these places up on the map and can only assume that part of this is a result of the gradual growth of Kitchener Waterloo. It looks like there urban areas aren't that far away.

As far as the clubhouse issue, not physically Kitchener Waterloo growth but a large subdivision in the village of Baden (bedroom community for Kitchener Waterloo) where the trail went across the back of it and where the clubhouse was located.

The St. Agatha trail issue is where 1 person controls  a dozen or more farm properties that the trail went through and apparently his lawyer told him he should get it off his land due to Bill 100. The lawyer likely realizes that he'll make more money from lawsuits now that OFSC insurance doesn't protect the landowner. IMHO there are sledder's that will still be crossing the farms where the trail has been for many many years

29 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

As far as the clubhouse issue, not physically Kitchener Waterloo growth but a large subdivision in the village of Baden (bedroom community for Kitchener Waterloo) where the trail went across the back of it and where the clubhouse was located.

The St. Agatha trail issue is where 1 person controls  a dozen or more farm properties that the trail went through and apparently his lawyer told him he should get it off his land due to Bill 100. The lawyer likely realizes that he'll make more money from lawsuits now that OFSC insurance doesn't protect the landowner. IMHO there are sledder's that will still be crossing the farms where the trail has been for many many years

The irony is his lawyer is a snowmobiler too. The way Bill 100 was originally written put the fear of God into the landowners and the lawyers have to err on the side of their client. This landowner didn't need much of an excuse to ban sleds. It seems he doesn't have much good to say about sleds to his neighbours either which doesn't help our cause.

2 hours ago, Nith Valley Sledder said:

The irony is his lawyer is a snowmobiler too. The way Bill 100 was originally written put the fear of God into the landowners and the lawyers have to err on the side of their client. This landowner didn't need much of an excuse to ban sleds. It seems he doesn't have much good to say about sleds to his neighbours either which doesn't help our cause.

Sure never minded crop damage payments though.

any chance the Baden club will sign and groom powerline east from, sand hill and allow access from erb street and St agatha community centre and Angie's, kennedy's? lots of people access this area, it is a permit rich area. This is going to hurt pass sales next year. 

8 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

any chance the Baden club will sign and groom powerline east from, sand hill and allow access from erb street and St agatha community centre and Angie's, kennedy's? lots of people access this area, it is a permit rich area. This is going to hurt pass sales next year. 

Not a chance will the club open that piece of trail and for a number of reasons. With the trail closed on the north side of Baden where would the snowmobiles go when they got to Baden? They would only trespass! The club would be opening itself up for major liability. St Agatha is NOT a permit rich area. Most of the traffic there is people either staging from the community center or travelers going in for food or fuel. There are only a handful of snowmobiles originating from that area.

On 11/3/2016 at 3:58 PM, Nith Valley Sledder said:

I'm not sure where the St Clements trails will start from towards St Agatha.

From what I understand, there will be no trail heading south from intersection 362.

10 hours ago, Blackstar said:

From what I understand, there will be no trail heading south from intersection 362.

Yep and so there will be no intersection 362

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Maryhill and one of my favourite mid week evening runs was over to EJ's in Baden and back.  Nice 75 mile run for us.  But it looks like that run will be no longer with the closing of B203 in St Agatha.  Am I correct on this?  Just want to make sure we're talking about the same trail.  I feel for EJ's because they lose a bunch of business.  It was a popular spot.

U will be fit to get to EJ's still just have to come down thru Wellesy ....

2 hours ago, Rock said:

I live in Maryhill and one of my favourite mid week evening runs was over to EJ's in Baden and back.  Nice 75 mile run for us.  But it looks like that run will be no longer with the closing of B203 in St Agatha.  Am I correct on this?  Just want to make sure we're talking about the same trail.  I feel for EJ's because they lose a bunch of business.  It was a popular spot.

It is my understanding that the B203 is being moved to the west. It will come up from the south to Baden as it has in the past then over to Wellesley, up past Crosshill and join the trail between the St. Clements clubhouse and Linwood.

3 hours ago, Rock said:

Still possible, but now we have two main trails merged into one. The traffic on it, is going to be horrendous. I use to count several sleds every few mins heading north thru St agatha, on weekends. See above posts on trail being moved and merged. 

On November 5, 2016 at 9:39 AM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Yep and so there will be no intersection 362

Looks like I will have to park my truck and trailer in front of your nice garage to join the trail. I hope St Clements is ready for 4 times truck and trailer this winter. :( 

3 hours ago, IQ TURBO said:

Be ready to have your junk towed!..

I believe you ride junk too then???

On 11/22/2016 at 8:08 PM, Viperules700 said:

Looks like I will have to park my truck and trailer in front of your nice garage to join the trail. I hope St Clements is ready for 4 times truck and trailer this winter. :( 

There is plenty of room for parking at the St Clements Snowmobile Clubhouse.

All we ask is you become a member of the club ($10). It helps with our maintenance costs.

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:08 PM, Viperules700 said:

No problem parking at the St. Clements clubhouse. You need to be a club member to park there. Club membership is $10.00 per year.

Parking is available for you in front of my garage although the seasonal fee is much more than at the St. Clements clubhouse.

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 0:22 PM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

No problem parking at the St. Clements clubhouse. You need to be a club member to park there. Club membership is $10.00 per year.

Parking is available for you in front of my garage although the seasonal fee is much more than at the St. Clements clubhouse.

hahah, becareful with that statement PLC...That's all you need..

Archived