Used sled prices are insane!

rippintheyammi

Does anyone else agree that prices for used sleds seem completely insane? I mean a 10 year old REV with 10,000km should not be $4000. I purchased an 09 Mxz 500ss with about 4000km for $4200 3 seasons ago.

I'm currently looking for another used XP chassis and wondering when and if

a decent one for a reasonable price will come along.

Shoot me a message, I know someone at work that has a couple of Ski Doo's they are selling for a reasonable price.

They are only as insane as the person buying them. Lots of sleds here in Manitoba way overpriced

1995s asking 2500 LOL, even 98 ZR 600 asking 2500-3000 LOL, yet I have a buddy with a 02 ZR 800CC in good shape at $2200 and no one is biting

I bought my 01 ZR 600 for $1800 in 2005 back in Sudbury, great summer deal no doubt and sold it for 1700 in 2009 here

I know guys trying to get 1800-2000 for 91 Indy 500s

In newer sleds some are trying to sell their 2012 Assault for $10g yet others have theirs listed at $6500-7000

The best are 2012-2013 MXZ 600 Sports(597carb) trying to get $7000-7500 and they have 3000kms

They can price them high all they want but if no one buys it listing price means nothing

A sled is worth what someone is willing to pay. I just wish people would get more realistic with their prices so they don't get offended when I "low ball" them.

I'm after an 08+ 600 carb. I believe they are around $10k new with a warranty - maybe less. What would an 08 or 09 be worth? I think any sled with 10,000km plus should be heavily discounted. 

Last year a 600 Carb went for 8000 new plus taxes shipping pdi etc.  People ask way too much sometimes, but you know what, sometimes they get it.  Sometimes no, depends on the financial health of the area.

keep looking. I found two XP chassis this weekend on kijiji that were screaming deals.

However I always buy off season and I got both of my etecs for 5k each.

I'm presently looking for a nice rev chassis SDI and It might take me a month to find one. But deals are always there.

Just buy new !!

Lots of people on Kijiji etc asking huge money for a used sled. You need to be patient because you will find one reasonably priced. The other side of the coin is the price of new sleds at 12 and 14 thousand plus before taxes is making this sport unattainable for many people. 

14 minutes ago, snowchopper said:

Lots of people on Kijiji etc asking huge money for a used sled. You need to be patient because you will find one reasonably priced. The other side of the coin is the price of new sleds at 12 and 14 thousand plus before taxes is making this sport unattainable for many people. 

Is the list price a real number or are we just sheep, buying and not negotiating well enough? I don't know. What I do know is that I was able to buy two end of 2015 season sleds for about 38% off the list price. I paid extra to swap out the windshields, get mirrors and get spare belts but also at what I considered to be a good discount as well.

When I see some of the factory rebate offers, 0% financing, extended warranty incentives it leads me to believe we may just be paying too much at the dealer. If more people walked away telling the dealer the price is too high maybe they would cut the price more but I get the sense that most sled buyers when they go into a dealer have already made up their mind they are buying a sled and the only question is how much will they spend. Their mind set is they aren't leaving without a deal.

Just my hypothesis.

18 minutes ago, rippintheyammi said:

When they break it down to $27.91 per week it sounds like a bargain but then think about it. That's $120.95 a month. It will be a twelve year old sled when you finish paying for it and you will have paid $14,513.20 for the used sled. 7.99%, get a line of credit from the bank for a lot less i.e. prime + 1/4 or prime + 1/2. Most can negotiate on that too.

The $27.91 a week is good marketing because it doesn't seem like a lot. Many people just look at can I afford the payment regardless of what the total cost will be in the end.

I think you raise a good point having a friend who was in the 0% financing /extended warranty boat. I tried to explain to him that it was just a sales ploy to get people into the dealership.

You're right that eventually a deal will come along or someone will be in a position to realize that my offer is actually what their sled is worth.

At the end of the day, either people have way too much money, money is too cheap (low interest rates), or none of these sleds are selling on kijiji.

12 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

When they break it down to $27.91 per week it sounds like a bargain but then think about it. That's $120.95 a month. It will be a twelve year old sled when you finish paying for it and you will have paid $14,513.20 for the used sled. 7.99%, get a line of credit from the bank for a lot less i.e. prime + 1/4 or prime + 1/2. Most can negotiate on that too.

The $27.91 a week is good marketing because it doesn't seem like a lot. Many people just look at can I afford the payment regardless of what the total cost will be in the end.

I was being sarcastic. I feel sorry for any sucker that bites on that.

21 minutes ago, rippintheyammi said:

Clicked on that add. Says it's only $ 27.91 weekly. So that is 111.64 monthly which seems reasonable but i have a hard time paying this for 120 months or ten years on a 3 season old sled.  

21 minutes ago, rippintheyammi said:

I was being sarcastic. I feel sorry for any sucker that bites on that.

I realize the sarcasm.... the point is some sucker will bite on it because they won't calculate out how much they will be paying in the long run. They will just see the weekly cost and say I can afford that.

17 hours ago, snowchopper said:

I fully agree, patiets and persistence are the key to getting a reasonably priced used sled.  Talk to the owner instead of just text/typing an offer.  

Be realistic though, base your budget on how much you will actually be using your planned purchase.  Everyone would like a newer sled but if you can only get in a couple of thousand kms per season at best, do you really need the latest model?

1 hour ago, TrophyHunter said:

I fully agree, patiets and persistence are the key to getting a reasonably priced used sled.  Talk to the owner instead of just text/typing an offer.  

Be realistic though, base your budget on how much you will actually be using your planned purchase.  Everyone would like a newer sled but if you can only get in a couple of thousand kms per season at best, do you really need the latest model?

2,000 kms is above average for a snowmobiler here in Ontario. I see 8 year old sleds come in with 8,000 or so kms. My previous sled was a 2012 grand touring that I bought in 2013 new. Put on 8,000 kms in four seasons (last year was about 800). Once snowmobiles gets over 10,000 kms buyers get scared and is reflected in price. So far even 4 strokes take a huge hit in value once ever 10,000 kms, dealer tells me too. Best bet is to buy new and get rid of it before 10,000 kms and take good care of it, so you get a good trade in value. Works out to 1800 a season on average and you are always riding something fairly new. 

On 02/11/2016 at 4:07 PM, rippintheyammi said:

Does anyone else agree that prices for used sleds seem completely insane? I mean a 10 year old REV with 10,000km should not be $4000. I purchased an 09 Mxz 500ss with about 4000km for $4200 3 seasons ago.

Yup but that what the market will support.. I bought my 04 500SS for $3500 in 09 and sold it last month for $2700... it had  over 12,000km

The problem is the price of new sleds. Not many people are willing or able to drop $12,000+ on a new one, they can only use 3-4 months a year. So this keeps the used market prices higher.

The other problem is a lack of a good entry level sled at a low price. Manufacturers push their big machines towards the upgrading riders and show little to nothing for the newbie wanting to get in.

Look at the PWC market.. entry level machines where pushing the $11,000 prices point and the industry was starting to fail 5 years ago. Enter the Sea-Doo Spark at $6499 and they are selling like hot cakes. 3 year old use version are still going for $5500. 

Bayliner boats did it back in 2003 with thier entry level 170 bowrider. You could buy one new for $10,000 on a trailer. that same boat 13 years later still sells for $9000, I just looked at one few weeks back. 

Sleds stand up a lot better then they once did. New designs means if you do roll it over, your just breaking mirrors off not smashing fiberglass hoods all to pieces. Engines run better, stronger and long then they once did. And that keeps the vault of them up. 

The industry will see a reset at some point. 

45 minutes ago, dweese said:

Engines run better, stronger and long then they once did. And that keeps the vault of them up. 

The industry will see a reset at some point. 

That is likely a big factor right there in keeping the prices up. If a sled was only good for 5,000 km and then major head aches would start people would be really reluctant to spend any significant amount of money. Today 10,000 or 15,000 or more and sleds are still running solid. Just look at the increasing number of classic permits. Sleds are lasting so much longer than they used to. Lots of 10+ year old sleds still running the trails.

Buy the info posted, it appears that newer sleds just don't seem to last.  10,000 Km is nothing to me.

I have two sleds with over 22,000 MILES on them and still take them on week long touring rides through the far north.  Maybe it's the green brand of the sleds that make them last longer.  Also they have never been dealer serviced either.  Only by me.

I only hope that my new 4-stroke Yama-Cat is half as reliable as the old iron.

BP

22 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

Buy the info posted, it appears that newer sleds just don't seem to last.  10,000 Km is nothing to me.

I have two sleds with over 22,000 MILES on them and still take them on week long touring rides through the far north.  Maybe it's the green brand of the sleds that make them last longer.  Also they have never been dealer serviced either.  Only by me.

BP

Do you have the Cat with the Yamaha engine or the Yamaha on the Cat chassis?

30 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

BP

5k miles on the one I just sold. I believe you've taken the preventative maintenance to help with starting issue. Had a seal leak between the chaincase and oil reservoir that wasn't even enough to stop me from still riding. I have 2 T660 Turbos with 15k miles and 17k still running well for us. Just changed the belt on the 7000 and was think we might do the plugs too. You may have to adjust the values at 25k miles lol. 

I will try to answer all your questions with some pictures.

First of all we will start with the old sled.  1995 AC Wildcat Touring 700 EFI.  I first bought this sled in the summer of 2000.  Since then it has been launched of a 25 ft clif which bent the tunnel, ran into a cedar tree which bent up the front end, and then I treated it to a heavy helping of my kind of mods.  All the touring racks and backrest were removed, tunnel straightened and re-inforced, front suspension replaced with some 99 ZR parts to widen the stance to 43" and drastically increase the travel.  This is the BPLT front suspension.  This improvement was so good that my son now out drove the rear, so I modded it with 99 T-cat front and rear arms and shocks on the original rails and made the BPLT TSL rear skid.  Now my buddy cannot run down my son with his 2008 Apex !  Just look at that suspension travel for a 95.  It has 22,000 + miles on it.

IMG_4190.JPG

Next sled is my beloved 2001 Thundercat.  I bought this sled in 2004 and have been making the engine more and more stock.  You know anyone that has a big sled just can't leave it alone.  They have to screw up the motor.  Well it runs great now and has done the A105Q 3 times and never ran out of fuel.  This sled has been everywhere from Hornpayne to Sennetaire.  I will never get rid of that sled.  There is nothing like that triple.

IMG_0890.JPG

This was 2 winters ago when it turned over 20,000 miles.

20000 mile club.jpg

The new sled is a 2015 AC XF7000 LXR  Yama-Cat.  It don't matter what colour it is, it is still a Cat.  This machine has 1400 Km on it and so far works great, if you like reving to the moon to go 60 mph.  I fixed all that with gearing and clutch mods.  Easy starting with the heaters.  I figure I just might make a sled out of it yet.

Oh yea,  The engine has to come right out to set the valve clearance.  That's OK every engine in every sled of mine has been out several times.

This is my first brand new sled.  Now its all set up for far north touring in -34 C temps.  Nice warm ass with the seat heater too.

IMG_4553.JPG

As you can see all these sleds have been and continue to be north ridden sleds.  Its not it's age that counts, it's the TLC and attention to detail that makes it through where 1-2 year old yellow sleds in our group chip reeds or rip rings of the pistons.  I'm still going.  If you want to know how to make a Yama-Cat great, read my posts on the Tech Corner.

BP

Just sold a 09 skidoo 800 x for $5000 ,thought i would get a little more for it ,but its gone so now i can concentrate on getting the new one ready.It had 8500 km on it .Spring is the best for buying used,got a great deal on 2016 renegade 1200 .The 09 was a awesome sled,you just need to work on a older sled once and a while to keep them running good.Ps big pussy those old cats look great :D

Archived