New to Sledding - Bring on the snow !

TrueNorth

If any OC'ers are also on Facebook, you are invited to join a closed Facebook group that I have set up, called Muskoka and Parry Sound Responsible Snowmobiling Partners

At present the group has 100 members. I may start a separate OC thread about this, but it seems to make sense to mention it in this thread too.

Here is the opening blurb on Facebook:

The purpose of this "Secret Group" (only group members can find the group and read the posts) is to help us find responsible snowmobiling partners for rides in the Muskoka and Parry Sound area. As a member, you have the ability to recommend people whom you consider to be suitable riding partners for the rest of us. This Facebook group is focused on Muskoka and Parry Sound sledding, rather than individual clubs. We're looking for safe and courteous sledders, who are respectful... of OFSC and club policies. Yahoo riders can form their own Facebook group. I will add the names of people I know to fit the criteria. Don't hesitate to recommend names of your own favourite sledding partners, assuming they wish to ride in the Muskoka and Parry Sound area. Please feel free to remove yourself from the group if you're not interested. This group is not for buy and sell discussions, or event promotions. Just discussion about riding ideas and arrangements, please and thank you. It might also be best to keep the personal banter to a minimum - - we can use chat or personal messaging for that stuff. If this group is going to work for making riding arrangements, we'd best stick to that topic, or we'll get weighted down with everything else. Thanks.

3 hours ago, ontariof7 said:

Mid week riding is the best. We are quite close, I hope to hook up....sooner then later ;)

for sure...my new sled is sitting inside my new trailer with gas and gear...I am ready to hit the road..

19 hours ago, 02Sled said:

It's going to be a nuisance for your wife having to wait around a few hours for you to finish riding :D

she has never even been on a sled....have to change that...but then I have ridden only few small ones in the 80s and 90s so can't wait to see if I become addicted

16 minutes ago, johnsazzr said:

she has never even been on a sled....have to change that...but then I have ridden only few small ones in the 80s and 90s so can't wait to see if I become addicted

Oh oh! Forget having to get a sled for your daughter... you'll need two more. One for your daughter and one for your wife. Years ago we were visiting friends who lived in Port Severn. He had suggested I had to try sledding so we went out for what was supposed to be an hour but turned out to be about 7. Our wives stayed behind to share some wine. I came back hooked and told my wife I was buying a sled. Note I didn't ask. The question I had was would she want to go to which she said once in a while not very often. Based on that two weeks later we had a Grand Touring sled so she could come with me. We took turns driving. That not very often translated to missing only two rides the rest of that now short season. We managed to make it through one more season going two up and her insisting that I be the passenger more and more often. The next season she had a sled of her own for Christmas. She still doesn't ride as much as me since it's usually a bunch of guys and her but is really into it when there are other women as part of the group.

Start planning on three sleds or at least one more that's a two up.

1 hour ago, Blake G said:

If any OC'ers are also on Facebook, you are invited to join a closed Facebook group that I have set up, called Muskoka and Parry Sound Responsible Snowmobiling Partners

At present the group has 100 members. I may start a separate OC thread about this, but it seems to make sense to mention it in this thread too.

The purpose of this "Secret Group" (only group members can find the group and read the posts) is to help us find responsible snowmobiling partners for rides in the Muskoka and Parry Sound area. As a member, you have the ability to recommend people whom you consider to be suitable riding partners for the rest of us. This Facebook group is focused on Muskoka and Parry Sound sledding, rather than individual clubs. We're looking for safe and courteous sledders, who are respectful... of OFSC and club policies. Yahoo riders can form their own Facebook group. I will add the names of people I know to fit the criteria. Don't hesitate to recommend names of your own favourite sledding partners, assuming they wish to ride in the Muskoka and Parry Sound area. Please feel free to remove yourself from the group if you're not interested. This group is not for buy and sell discussions, or event promotions. Just discussion about riding ideas and arrangements, please and thank you. It might also be best to keep the personal banter to a minimum - - we can use chat or personal messaging for that stuff. If this group is going to work for making riding arrangements, we'd best stick to that topic, or we'll get weighted down with everything else. Thanks.

Too bad I am not in Muskoka 

Oldsledder,  I set up the group as a mechanism to try and help sledders who want to do rides in Muskoka and Parry Sound, but many,  or probably most, of the riders won't actually live here. Please send me a pm if you'd like me to add you to the group. The more the merrier!

2 hours ago, Blake G said:

Hi Blake, I'd very much like to be considered . .thank you   Rob

27 minutes ago, TrueNorth said:

Hi Blake, I'd very much like to be considered . .thank you   Rob

Sounds great, Rob!

Unless I figure out a workaround, I'll need to send you an invitation via Facebook.

If you pm me on this site, with your Facebook name, I'll do it pronto.

21 minutes ago, Blake G said:

Sounds great, Rob!

Unless I figure out a workaround, I'll need to send you an invitation via Facebook.

If you pm me on this site, with your Facebook name, I'll do it pronto.

Okay.  Think I sent what you need

I know my wife won't be riding with me very often as she will.be working to fund my riding.

I think this retiring thing at 47 just might be all right.

3 hours ago, SlowTouringGuy said:

What if an potentially interested party is not on facebook?  

Unfortunately the content is accessible only via Facebook.

I am planning to create a Google Calendar that would contain basic data about rides discussed and planned in the FB group. Calendar access could be granted to specific individuals via an emailed link.

On 2016-11-03 at 7:22 PM, SlowTouringGuy said:

Hello True North and welcome to the forum. Pay no attention to those that deny the Acid Mouse.  I will endure. 

Where are you in relation to trails surrounding Gravenhhrst?  I'm on D in the middle of Kahshe Lake.  I'm becoming less and less involved in Snowcrest but will still be active in staking the lake.  I think I bought a Snowcrest permit; others went to SnoBombers, Orillia, Parry Sound, and LucVille. Will you  be a mid week rider, a weekend rider, or..........?      

Of course, when you are not sledding Gravenhurst has a very social curling club that would welcome you. 

Oh boy, here we go again.  The mouse is out of the trap!!! LOL

Welcome to this AWESOME FORUM True North.  There's a wealth of knowledge on here.  Sorry to hear that you are with the anchor club, but that's okay we'll still be happy to have you join us for a ride some time during the week that is.  We stay home on the weekends.  LOL  We ride out of southern Gravenhurst, not in the middle of Kashe Lake like the mouse (that obviously knows how to stay a float in the water).  We normally ride anywhere in D7, D8, D9 and D10 during the season.  We have been riding those trails for many years and really enjoy them all the same. 

Hope you have a safe season and hope to see you on the trail somewhere in 2017

Blake and Nunz are both great guys and real sledheads.  You can't go wrong with either one to ride with. 

Cheers Dee & Terry

P.S. Watch out for the mouse

Archived