Trailer flooring ideas

Pstn head

I'm trying to find an inexpensive way to protect the plywood flooring for a trailer and looking for some ideas and where to get it. I heard of some recycled plastic/ hard rubber but no luck finding anything. The only stuff I found is supplied by trailer dealers and very expensive. All ideas are welcome and even pictures to show some of your ideas.

Thanks

The most durable cost effective solution I have found is stall mats at TSC stores. It I recall they are 4 ft x 7 ft and at least 1/2 in thick. You can easily cut them with a jig saw, skill saw or repeated strokes with an exact opposite knife. 16 in wide strips work well for sled tracks. If you want ski guides check with a body shop or a car dealer body shop for old pickup box liners

I snagged 4 pieces of ski glides from our pals at Princess Auto. Not a catalog item, but they sure had a pile of it.

Then I bought a 3x4' piece of 5/8" rubber mat from Home Depot. Cut in half, it's a track mat more than long enough.

I think it totalled $60.

What about truck bed liner? Like Rhino lining?

I have had my trailer coated with Line-X.  It was pricey, but it stands up well.  However, AC+YA uses lattice and it seems to stand up well.  He has posted pictures on here, but he may chime in on this thread.

1x3 ir 1x4 spruce lumber, screw it down where you want it.  Makes great ski guides and track stud protection.

Not sure where your from but if there is a line x dealer around you they will probably give you the truck bed liners and you can just cut those up.  If your near burlington go to the dealer and ask doug he will gladly give them to you.

8 hours ago, 02Sled said:

The most durable cost effective solution I have found is stall mats at TSC stores. It I recall they are 4 ft x 7 ft and at least 1/2 in thick. You can easily cut them with a jig saw, skill saw or repeated strokes with an exact opposite knife. 16 in wide strips work well for sled tracks. If you want ski guides check with a body shop or a car dealer body shop for old pickup box liners

x2. They are thick and durable and they work. We also put them down on one of our garage bays so we can ride right in without scarring the floor.

I tried bringing home a couple of those mats last week while on sale at TSC but the toxic smell  forced me to turn around and return them...the staff agreed they are surprised horses don't die from the smell of them...LOL...I have ordered an enclosed trailer so took a pass..they were 5x7 x1/2 inch  on sale for 49.99...they are called horse trailer mats...they also have 4x6x 3/4 inch  stall mats that go on sale for 39.99...both made from vulcanized rubber...both too heavy to use on a ramp door unless you cut into strips as 02Sled suggested....our local horse tack shop had similar mats....4x6 x 5/8....not as heavy and smelly...39.99...I dont think they were vulcanized rubber...also had grooves on one side

The TSC mats go on sale every couple of months..

I saw an old ad for those ski glides manotickmike suggested from Princess Auto...like he said, they no longer show on their website..did 2 weeks ago...they were called ramp inserts and were under $10!!!!  damn.....will have to check stock in their Whitby store and see if they have any ...I just picked up to 2 packs of the super glides 2 Pro for $99 each on sale right now at Princess Auto...so I will have 40 feet of it to do use for skiis and track on ramp and skiis on trailer floor...just ordered the 4 pack edge glides from Royal for $52 to bridge leading edge of ramp and gap to trailer....not using picks at this point and apparently the trailer I ordered has a "sand" finish on the floor...so all in I am at $250 plus tax...considered many cheaper options but I am a bit OCD about both the functionality and look of it all so this route should work best for me...

1 hour ago, johnsazzr said:

I tried bringing home a couple of those mats last week while on sale at TSC but the toxic smell  forced me to turn around and return them...the staff agreed they are surprised horses don't die from the smell of them...LOL...I have ordered an enclosed trailer so took a pass..they were 5x7 x1/2 inch  on sale for 49.99...they are called horse trailer mats...they also have 4x6x 3/4 inch  stall mats that go on sale for 39.99...both made from vulcanized rubber...both too heavy to use on a ramp door unless you cut into strips as 02Sled suggested....our local horse tack shop had similar mats....4x6 x 5/8....not as heavy and smelly...39.99...I dont think they were vulcanized rubber...also had grooves on one side

The TSC mats go on sale every couple of months..

I saw an old ad for those ski glides manotickmike suggested from Princess Auto...like he said, they no longer show on their website..did 2 weeks ago...they were called ramp inserts and were under $10!!!!  damn.....will have to check stock in their Whitby store and see if they have any ...I just picked up to 2 packs of the super glides 2 Pro for $99 each on sale right now at Princess Auto...so I will have 40 feet of it to do use for skiis and track on ramp and skiis on trailer floor...just ordered the 4 pack edge glides from Royal for $52 to bridge leading edge of ramp and gap to trailer....not using picks at this point and apparently the trailer I ordered has a "sand" finish on the floor...so all in I am at $250 plus tax...considered many cheaper options but I am a bit OCD about both the functionality and look of it all so this route should work best for me...

Surprised about your stall mats having an odour. I got mine from TSC, with grooves in them and a very slight odour. All rubber when new has some smell to it. It wasn't any more than when I'm looking at new tires at a tire dealer. Once they were installed in the trailer the very slight odour dissipated.

What are you using to clamp down the sled in place. If not mistaken you have a cargo trailer. The sled trailers typically have an aluminum track running through the floor that allows you to clamp down at any point front to rear.

Capture2.JPG

Here you can see the front ski clamp downs and the track runs to the rear of the trailer. Super Clamp makes a ring that inserts into the track and is removable for the rear tie down.

these mats did not have any grooves...newer supplier I think...neither did the 4x6 x 3/4 inch....4 windows rolled down in the Forester and I could not breathe....it was that bad...mats were in car 15 minutes and took 2 days to air out the car....the staff in the warehouse also complained about it...mfr for these was REDBARN

http://www.tscstores.com/5-X-7-X-12-HORSE-TRAILER-MAT-P14215.aspx#.WBUQmCS53o0

I ordered a 5x10 cargo...no aluminum track...4 corner anchors will do the job...I like the idea of the Superclamp but I do not plan to drill holes through the floor

EX_Cargo_RearRamp_Open.jpg

221903_z.jpg

Old box liners cut up work great

nunz might have a couple!!

On October 29, 2016 at 0:15 AM, sledjunk said:

I have had my trailer coated with Line-X.  It was pricey, but it stands up well.  However, AC+YA uses lattice and it seems to stand up well.  He has posted pictures on here, but he may chime in on this thread.

I did the same back in 2010 I believe it was. Wasn't super cheap, but it really stands up and water that melts from the sleds, can't penetrate and ruin the wood. Wood still gets wet from bottom up, that is why still important to store inside, when not in use. I would do it again for sure. I even had them add some sand into mix for traction. Only sticks well on new trailers. 

My trailer floor is marine grade plywood. Some are particle board. I also had it sprayed both sides with water seal. I believe the floor actually has a lifetime warranty 

42 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

My trailer floor is marine grade plywood. Some are particle board. I also had it sprayed both sides with water seal. I believe the floor actually has a lifetime warranty 

Life time warranty is about 8 years on trailers and is voided the second you put matts on top of it :).  Mine is plywood too, not sure about the grade though. 

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 0:15 AM, sledjunk said:

The plastic lattice has worked well for me.  I paint the floor white in a new trailer and 100% cover the floor, also in white to keep it much brighter when inside with the skylights or at night with the lights on.  Eyes getting too old I guess.  

The lattice allows steering and manually pulling/pushing the sleds without having to start them.  I have a 33 foot in-line trailer which can hold 4 mountain sleds.  I often save time by just moving the sleds ahead manually in prep for my return if only using 2 or 3 of the 4 in the trailer.  This is my winter workshop and garage as I leave them in Ontario rather than pull the trailer back and forth.  I usually have a spare sled and don't like to start, warm and move the extra sled inside the trailer which can gum things up and make it bad to load unless the wind is blowing to clean the clouds out.

The lattice comes in colors now including black. Home Depot and many other places have it.  The lattice is not slippery like solid plastic.  It is also very light for door ramps and it comes in large and small mesh.  Protects from studs too as some hit the plastic and those left are not putting force on the wood floor or ramp.

Easy to cut, just pre-drill if cold.  Roofing nails center and screws around the edges. 

Going on 15 years in one of my trailers.  Just my preference.

That sounds great. Which mesh size do you recommend, large or small? 

On 10/28/2016 at 11:08 PM, Pstn head said:

I'm trying to find an inexpensive way to protect the plywood flooring for a trailer and looking for some ideas and where to get it. I heard of some recycled plastic/ hard rubber but no luck finding anything. The only stuff I found is supplied by trailer dealers and very expensive. All ideas are welcome and even pictures to show some of your ideas.

Thanks

I have a set of ski guides you can have, but I'm a distance away from you. 519-881-3218

23 hours ago, Blake G said:

That sounds great. Which mesh size do you recommend, large or small? 

I have used both, but my big trail has the larger mesh as that was the only thing around back then.

I bought the finer mesh for my last trailer.  I think the larger mesh is thicker, but maybe the tighter is tougher?

Both seem to work.

If it cracks, just fasten both sides of the crack to keep it strong. 

4 hours ago, AC+YA said:

I have used both, but my big trail has the larger mesh as that was the only thing around back then.

I bought the finer mesh for my last trailer.  I think the larger mesh is thicker, but maybe the tighter is tougher?

Both seem to work.

If it cracks, just fasten both sides of the crack to keep it strong. 

Do the carbides not cut into the plastic? What about studs digging into it?

• 4 weeks later...

I use ski guides for the skis and use the stall mats for the track sections only. I cut them into I believe 16 inch wide strips so they don't see the carbides running them. I had a friends sled with a studded track on the trailer a few times and there wasn't any problem. It could be that the track didn't get spun to chew at anything.

What got me using stall mats was my wife has a horse and we bought them long ago for the stall and the middle of the aisle in front of the stall. The horse has steel shoes and in the winter has carbide nubs welded onto the shoe for winter grip. A couple on the toe and on each heel of the shoes.

They at times paw at the floor when they are getting fed and are impatient. The stall mat has stood up just fine over many years.

• 1 year later...

Thread from the dead!

I decided to pull the trigger on 5 sheets of 4x8 fine mesh lattice after reading some of these posts. (Thanks!) I really like the idea of being able to re-position sleds after they're loaded, that was NOT happening with the ski guides.

I'll likely  be loading sled #2 in backwards with a small trailer mounted winch, so the ability to re-position is key. 

Got a good end of season deal, so I went with the pricier stuff. Kudos to Rona for a great deal on something not listed for sale. Try THAT at Lowes or HD.

Once I get past the stink of HH's alkyd primer (Word to the wise, avoid this crap like the plague, it's been 6 days, and it still stinks to high heaven... Outdoors!) I'm going to use floor paint on walls and floor, and lay it down and put the bike chocks and tie downs etc. on top of it. I'll use the guides and rubber mats on the door in sledding season. 

I'll keep you posted.

If anyone is in the Uxbridge area, there is a box liner free for the taking on Harrison Drive in Leaskdale.

16 hours ago, manotickmike said:

Thread from the dead!

I decided to pull the trigger on 5 sheets of 4x8 fine mesh lattice after reading some of these posts. (Thanks!) I really like the idea of being able to re-position sleds after they're loaded, that was NOT happening with the ski guides.

I'll likely  be loading sled #2 in backwards with a small trailer mounted winch, so the ability to re-position is key. 

Got a good end of season deal, so I went with the pricier stuff. Kudos to Rona for a great deal on something not listed for sale. Try THAT at Lowes or HD.

Once I get past the stink of HH's alkyd primer (Word to the wise, avoid this crap like the plague, it's been 6 days, and it still stinks to high heaven... Outdoors!) I'm going to use floor paint on walls and floor, and lay it down and put the bike chocks and tie downs etc. on top of it. I'll use the guides and rubber mats on the door in sledding season. 

I'll keep you posted.

You can sweep and shovel snow that might get in the trailer.  When it comes to dust and dirt, I just use a leaf blower to really clean the floor from one end to the other.

The lattice may get scared up a bit, but never has been cut in half after many years of tractors, 4 wheelers, and sleds.  I have put some old hyfax down as guides and some horizontal strips up the center on the doors so you can walk up the inclines when they get full of ice.  Putting the lattice on the fold down doors is great compared to hitting plywood and digging in.  That is why I line all my ramps with the same.  The lattice even wet is not real bad walk on because of the texture and wet tires always seem to grab well.  Tractor tires with dog crap lubrication seems to be the one exception I have found. 

Still my choice for cost, weight, and function. 

Archived