QUEBEC PERMIT PRICES 2016-2017

PISTON LAKE CRUISER

Look at these prices then tell me that the OFSC shouldn't be raising permit prices!

315 $ for an annual trail permit purchased on or before December 9, 2016
385 $ for an annual trail permit purchased after December 9, 2016
215 $ for a 7-day trail permit
130 $ for a 3-day trail permit
  60 $ for a 1-day trail permit
230 $ for an annual trail permit for antique snowmobiles (1997 and older)

Obviously the people controlling permit prices in Quebec know what they are doing IMHO.

38 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Look at these prices then tell me that the OFSC shouldn't be raising permit prices!

315 $ for an annual trail permit purchased on or before December 9, 2016
385 $ for an annual trail permit purchased after December 9, 2016
215 $ for a 7-day trail permit
130 $ for a 3-day trail permit
  60 $ for a 1-day trail permit
230 $ for an annual trail permit for antique snowmobiles (1997 and older)

Obviously the people controlling permit prices in Quebec know what they are doing IMHO.

Don't forget that the Quebec permit also includes liability insurance for your sled. It's one way to ensure the sleds on the trails have insurance. I would gladly pay the extra $135 for my permit if that provided my insurance in Ontario. Also laws around liability insurance and limits in Quebec are different than here 

2 hours ago, manotickmike said:

You really can't compare the 2 "products". It's like apples and oranges.

Do you mean from a trail quality standpoint or the fact that their permit includes "liability" insurance?

The insurance is only $45 as there are strict limits on liability claims ($50,000 IIRC).  Quebec charges a price that reflects the quality of their trails and are unapologetic about it.  There trails are, IMO, no better than Ontario's, but they do not seem to be afraid of charging for it.

And while, yes, they get government funding, so does Ontario and apparently, there is even more that we can get, but the clubs need to do the legwork.

4 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Don't forget that the Quebec permit also includes liability insurance for your sled. It's one way to ensure the sleds on the trails have insurance. I would gladly pay the extra $135 for my permit if that provided my insurance in Ontario. Also laws around liability insurance and limits in Quebec are different than here 

The liability portion of my  TD sled insurance policy that I am about to renew is $65.00 (per sled) + tax for each sled or a total of $70.20. Take that from the Quebec early buy price and you still have a $245.00. That's 35% more than our $180.00 early buy permit. The liability insurance on an Arctic Cat would no doubt be much more so your calculation may be different.

On 2016-10-22 at 7:14 PM, sledjunk said:

The insurance is only $45 as there are strict limits on liability claims ($50,000 IIRC).  Quebec charges a price that reflects the quality of their trails and are unapologetic about it.  There trails are, IMO, no better than Ontario's, but they do not seem to be afraid of charging for it.

And while, yes, they get government funding, so does Ontario and apparently, there is even more that we can get, but the clubs need to do the legwork.

ontario has trails like what are in the gaspe or mt valin should i go on come on . Quebec has a superior product when it comes to trails

On October 22, 2016 at 7:14 PM, sledjunk said:

The $45 may be what they credit back for those who are able to opt out. I'm not sure this is the full cost value though. I just checked our policy and $1M liability is $60 for bodily injury $1 for property damage and $145 for accident benefits. That however is just the way it is allocated on their system. You can't buy just one of those three components. It's an all or nothing. Try and buy just property damage liability on its own for $1. Total liability cost for my sled is $204. So if I was able to get that protection or protection to the limits allowed by law which is different in Quebec for an extra $135 on my permit price I would take it and save $69

14 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

The $45 may be what they credit back for those who are able to opt out. I'm not sure this is the full cost value though. I just checked our policy and $1M liability is $60 for bodily injury $1 for property damage and $145 for accident benefits. That however is just the way it is allocated on their system. You can't buy just one of those three components. It's an all or nothing. Try and buy just property damage liability on its own for $1. Total liability cost for my sled is $204. So if I was able to get that protection or protection to the limits allowed by law which is different in Quebec for an extra $135 on my permit price I would take it and save $69

When I look at my policy, Liability is printed in a different font and at a different margin than bodily injury and accident benefits. This indicates to me that it is somewhat differentiated from the other 2 items.  I do however agree with you that in ONTARIO you have to take all 3 items.

The Quebec insurance included on the permit only indicates that Liability coverage is included.

In Quebec if you get liability insurance on a snowmobile, does it have to include bodily injury and accident benefits? As stated previously, Quebec and Ontario seem to differ with respect to insurance and claims so what our liability coverage has to include may not be the same for coverage in Quebec.

It would be interesting to hear from someone from Quebec to see if they have any supplemental insurance and what that would cost to have similar coverage to what we have in Ontario.  I do think that the price of the permit needs to increase from what we are paying now.

It is indeed a bargain, at least it is to me even with the no snow season we had last year. For each individual person though it is the value proposition. In life no matter what you have to give up something to get something. Whether that be time, money etc. If I want a new TV for example I have to give up x$'s depending on the size and features. I look at the 32" TV vs the 60". Is it worth the extra cash I have to give up and since it is only a want am I willing to give up that cash that otherwise could be put into say a TFSA.

In the case of the permit, most of us here are "avid" sled heads and would still pay the price. For many though when they factor in the cost of the sled, the gear, the insurance, the trailer, the truck they need to pull it AND the permit that value proposition comes into play. Just how much are they willing to give up ie. the winter vacation in Bermuda to have the sled rides. For many there is a psychological number of the perceived value and they are unwilling to exceed that number.

Something like beef... I know people who look at $20 for a steak in the grocery store and simply won't pay it since they don't see the value compared to what else they can buy for $20  even though they can afford the steak

Archived