First R.A.P. Tour

rippintheyammi

44 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Cedar Gables Lodge on Highway 17 at Sec. Hwy. 531 near Bonfield is not operating any longer. Joanne & Darcy sold and new owners are not continuing the business.

I seen that also. It was for sale for quite sometime, but recently sold. Congrats to them..

• Like 1

Spectacle Lake lodge also has new owners I heard 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/27/2020 at 1:37 PM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

My suggestion would be as follows:

Night 1- Petawawa - Quality Inn

Night 2- Mattawa-Golf & Country Club. Allows time to try out some of the awesome North Renfrew and Missing Link local trails  

Night 3- Kearney-  Edgewater Park Lodge. Allows you to decide how long a day you want. Personally, I would go via A112A northwest out of Mattawa.

Night 4 - Home. Again allows you many choices For length of day.

This route could be as short as approx. 850 Km. or as long as you want to make it. It also allows day 3 and 4 to be reasonably short if you need them to be due to breakdown or other issues.

Hope this helps.

We basically do the same trip. Leave from home (Gravenhurst) and head to Spectacle lake lodge - This is the longest day. 

Then to Petawawa- Quality inn as well.

Then to Mattawa Golf and CC

Then to Kearney and back home the next morning. 

We normally have a big crew with us so 5 days works good. Last time we did it we had 14 of us! The 5 days is nice, it gives you a bit of time to get to your destination in the afternoon and explore some of the local club trails if you have time. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, catinental couch said:

Good to see you posting. It has been a while Blake. I hope all is well.

For those that don't know Blake S has rejoined the Snowcrest team as a director and it has been a pleasure to work with him since the fall, along with the other members of the club.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

The Snowcrest Team has aquired a valuable person for the club all around. Also being volunteer of the year among other proud awards....

For those who don’t know, Blake was a very large part of the building of trail 204 for the ODSC. Myself and Ed have always been proud of Blake. 

Congratulations to all !!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/27/2020 at 12:48 PM, Canuck said:

Welcome aboard, 800. Read the comments above to get a feel for the 4 day itinerary.,

There are more current threads on the RAP than this 2016 topic you joined. It can be done ( enjoyably ) in 4  days. Happy trails. 

I can't find the more current and lenghty RAP thread      there was a bit of a glitch a while ago     maybe it was lost ?

• Like 1

It seems that the forum has a minimum # of characters necessary to "search".

For example, 3 letters, i.e. "RAP",  yields no results ( for me ). It must be more than 3 letters. I'll raise this with the suits - " folks who can fix or explain" - tonight :). 

If you type the longer term " RAP Tour" you'll find it. More characters are required - not the STG type of characters :).

The expanded search yields many " tour" matches ( RAP and tour ) - but lots of info on RAP.

Let me know if the above works. Two quick results, in links, below  - there were many matches.

I've done it 3 x, great memories. My takeaway -

" edge " of civilization trip. Not as remote or isolated as I first thought. Civilization abounds " around" the park. A great feeling when running it with 20 year old son ( safe ).  Or, when a team member's sled breaks. 

Also, from reading the posts, trail conditions make or break the tour.

" Evil" wrote a tale of two RAPS, years ago. One great, one less so ( weather resulted in snirt - ...there are a few  roads on this trip ). Joyous when snow covered. Less so when you're shooting up sparks.  And it's a circle....you have to keep going. Know the trail conditions and the weather ahead. Rain would " suck " on this trip. I say this because I've often sledded in rain in North Bay... either returning from new Liskeard or local staging ( March ). Never on THE RAP.

A couple of links from " RAP Tour " search:

https://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20752-rap-tour-next-week-225-2-28/

https://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20785-rap-tour-2020/&tab=comments#comment-304147

Happy trails.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks everyone! All great information and happy to see that the site is still active. Just hoping to see some trails open up and then will be able to get out riding so I can see if my new-ish sled will be good to make the trip! 

My 1st RAP in '96 was OK other than not feeling anywhere 100%, besides our morning in Mattawa being -36*

Did 3/4s of a RAP in '97. Weather turned to crap & 2 dead sleds out of 5 (neither of them had no business to be on a trip like that).

RAP tour in '13 was much better. Lots of snow, great hosts @ Mattawa GolfNSki, a bit of rough trail west of there. Road running of Powassan was OK due to fresh snow.

Like others have said, the tour is a crap shoot when it comes to the weather. If you're flexible w/ scheduling watch the weather & go for it.