First R.A.P. Tour

rippintheyammi

The plan is to do it over 3 days with a night in Pembroke and a night in North Bay. 

My one buddy is going to do it on a 1987 Yamaha Phazer.

Any tips?

• Like 1

Tell your buddy to get a newer sled.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, smokeater466 said:

He refuses to. He has never ridden a new style sled.

Two years ago he did 600km round trip to North Bay on it.

I plan to do the rap tour this winter also. Never done it before but have been on parts of it. I plan on going Sunday to Friday and spend a little extra time checking out the trails around deep river and rolphton. I would be concerned about your buddy on an 87 sled doing a 900 klm trip . A broke down sled can ruin a good trip. I hope your buddy has his sled serviced and gone over by someone that is qualified before you set out on your trip. Good luck and I hope you have a good trip.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, smokeater466 said:

Couple of years ago i was in at Rickwards Polaris when Rob pointed out this old Arctic Cat outside. I said it sure is in nice shape. Rob said it is a 1973 and he just finished puttiing brakes on it. The guy told Rob he was doing the Rap tour. I couldn't believe it! My back still hurts when i think about that.Lol...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've done lots of high mileage trips in the north with a couple well maintained old sleds in our group. It's not the old sleds that have given trouble & had to look for a dealer in BF nowhere. 

• Like 1

Sleds in our group run between 9 and 15 years old, not quite as old as an 87, but maintenance and servicing is imperative.

We also agree before heading out that if any sled goes down, the group will assist in getting it to an access point, make a call to our pre-arranged pickup guy, but then he is on his own, and the rest of the group will continue with the trip.

As mentioned in a previous post, it is not always the old sled that goes down!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, rippintheyammi said:

The plan is to do it over 3 days with a night in Pembroke and a night in North Bay. 

My one buddy is going to do it on a 1987 Yamaha Phazer.

Any tips?

I would suggest doing it through the week if you can but for sure try to avoid the Dwight , Dorset, Canarvon area on a Saturday PM through late Sunday. That would normally be the time and place for the roughest trails you will likely encounter just because of the traffic volume they have to deal with.

If you haven't picked a starting location, Dwight is a great choice (Spring Lake Resort or Dwight Motel both have places to leave your trailers. It's about 900 km. around stating from Dwight and running the some of the lakes around Dorset and Haliburton Forest vs. following the trail.

Edgewater Park on Sand Lake east of Kearney is a great and convenient food/fuel stop on the west side. If you are starting from Walker's Point the first/ last day will be a little longer.

Try to take some of the side trails between Deux Riviere and Rolphton like 197 and 195. They are really awesome trails and don't add a lot of Km's. There are others as well towards Deep River.

If you stay in Petawawa rather than Pembroke you would have more time for those great side trails since you don't have to leave the main trail to go into Pembroke. Petawawa has a Quality Inn & Suites + Kelsey's (I think is the brand) + Yamaha dealer side by side right across the highway from the main trail.

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER
  • Like 4

If you can I would suggest you make it a four day tour. Can do some side trails in certain area's to add to a day. For instance I live exploring the ice caves near Kearney. Usually adds an hour to the day going in and out of there. If I was going to do it again, I would start in Kearny most likely. I would stay in hailburton area the first night. Bonnie view in or pine springs good choice. Lots of different trails to ride on the way over. If the lake run is open instead of taking B into town from Dorset I would do that trip. Ride thru ox narrows is awesome if available. 

Second night I would stay in pembroke most likely, pettawa great choice too, if you have time to ride farther. Next day I would stay in mattawa And golf and ski excellent choice. You can ride allot of great trails on east side and have a fantastic day. Last days you can take your time and ride the great A112A I believe it is up thru top end instead of the A and go to dinner bell using bf201 or portage for a bite to eat, before handing back to Kearny. I would avoid the road on the D trail and go farther west, if it is warm and no snow on roads. This will add  few hours to the trip back another reason I like four days. Good luck! 

Also dinner bell is a great starting, stoping spot because of lots of trailer parking. If you have four days you can explore part of north bay system as well. I have done that and enjoyed it especially nb308 is nice. 

Cedar gables is an option too, great hosts. I ended up coming back late one night and stopped in there for a few drinks and a bite to eat. The owner is a great host and helps bonifield snowmobile club. They have trailer parking as well. 

Edited by Viperules700

39 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Also dinner bell is a great starting, stoping spot because of lots of trailer parking. If you have four days you can explore part of north bay system as well. I have done that and enjoyed it especially nb308 is nice. 

Cedar gables is an option too, great hosts. I ended up coming back late one night and stopped in there for a few drinks and a bite to eat. The owner is a great host and helps bonifield snowmobile club. They have trailer parking as well. 

Why would you trailer from Muskoka to Dinner Bell (approx. 265 km.) to start your trip and then have to trailer home to Muskoka after you get back to the Dinner Bell? To say that would be foolish is more than an understatement!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Why would you trailer from Muskoka to Dinner Bell (approx. 265 km.) to start your trip and then have to trailer home to Muskoka after you get back to the Dinner Bell? To say that would be foolish is more than an understatement!

I would sure rather ride..

Edited by IQ TURBO
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tips. Our plan is to get started at my buddies place near Torrance, ride to pembroke to north bay and home. 2 nights and 3 days.

I asked well am thinking about this ride.

I'm looking at 4 or 5 days as I am riding out of Sudbury.

3 hours ago, soupkids said:

I asked well am thinking about this ride.

I'm looking at 4 or 5 days as I am riding out of Sudbury.

When are you thinking?  Wife going south to some island with no snow for a wedding for a week in Feb, seems like a good sled  trip time or me?

• Haha 1

No idea yet.

Will depend on a lot of factors.

My health, finances, riding partner

• 4 years later...

Hey everyone! 

Not sure if this site is still active or not but planning to do the RAP with a buddy this year.. (pending lockdown etc.) Leaving from North Kawartha and travelling counter clockwise. Looking for info on gas stops, overnight stops and any other info you may have to pass along.
Ideally we’d like to complete it in 4 days.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome aboard, 800. Read the comments above to get a feel for the 4 day itinerary.,

There are more current threads on the RAP than this 2016 topic you joined. It can be done ( enjoyably ) in 4  days. Happy trails. 

2 hours ago, MXZX 800 said:

Hey everyone! 

Not sure if this site is still active or not but planning to do the RAP with a buddy this year.. (pending lockdown etc.) Leaving from North Kawartha and travelling counter clockwise. Looking for info on gas stops, overnight stops and any other info you may have to pass along.

Thanks in advance.

My suggestion would be as follows:

Night 1- Petawawa - Quality Inn

Night 2- Mattawa-Golf & Country Club. Allows time to try out some of the awesome North Renfrew and Missing Link local trails  

Night 3- Kearney-  Edgewater Park Lodge. Allows you to decide how long a day you want. Personally, I would go via A112A northwest out of Mattawa.

Night 4 - Home. Again allows you many choices For length of day.

This route could be as short as approx. 850 Km. or as long as you want to make it. It also allows day 3 and 4 to be reasonably short if you need them to be due to breakdown or other issues.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, MXZX 800 said:

Hey everyone! 

Thanks in advance.

Welcome Back !!  

Our 2nd attempt @ a RAP in '96 (1st was succesful) had 2 pieces of junk involved. The '90 Plus ate all its track clips (track/drive axle mismatch). A Indy 400 of indeterminate year, blew up on Wasi Lake on the 3rd day out of Hali.

5 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Night 2- Mattawa-Golf & Country Club. Allows time to try out some of the awesome North Renfrew and Missing Link local trails  

Night 3- Kearney-  Edgewater Park Lodge. Allows you to decide how long a day you want. Personally, I would go via A112A northwest out of Mattawa.

This route could be as short as approx. 850 Km. or as long as you want to make it. It also allows day 3 and 4 to be reasonably short if you need them to be due to breakdown or other issues.

Hope this helps.

Great info PLC..

5 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Hope this helps.

Good suggestion..

We have done this trip many times both directions from Wilberforce in four days at a leisurely pace.  We have stayed at Ashgrove Inn in Barrys Bay or Mountain View motel. Dinner at the Wilno Tavern. Bears Den in Deep River, different places in North Bay and Edgewater in Kearney. Many places to eat and fuel up. Some restaurants we have come across are closed on Mondays.

Jerry

1 hour ago, grover_yyz said:

Good suggestion..

We have done this trip many times both directions from Wilberforce in four days at a leisurely pace.  We have stayed at Ashgrove Inn in Barrys Bay or Mountain View motel. Dinner at the Wilno Tavern. Bears Den in Deep River, different places in North Bay and Edgewater in Kearney. Many places to eat and fuel up. Some restaurants we have come across are closed on Mondays.

Jerry

Edgewater put up a large restaurant since our RAN tour in 2014. We stayed in 1 of the little cabins (2 of us).