New to sledding

johnsazzr

15 minutes ago, johnsazzr said:

thanks for the clarification..i will stick with it then..should work fine and will add a mirror or 2

Mirrors are a great idea. Your're dealer will give a great discount on acc. as they have a customize your ride discount right now. Holli is a sweetheart most of the time lol.

Congratulations on retirement and getting back into sledding. I did the same thing retired at 50 and got back into sledding. That was 8 years ago and I love sledding more and more every year. Already planning a couple trips this winter. Plan to ride as often as possible. 

Have a great season and stay safe.

On 2016-10-20 at 1:36 PM, 02Sled said:

If you go to the TSC store you can buy a stall mat which is nice and thick and easily cut with an exacto knife or either a jig or circular saw. 16 inch wide strips work well for the sled track to grip as you drive up into the trailer. You get three 16 inch wide strips out of one mat which is 4 feet wide. It's the most cost affordable solution for traction mats since your sled track will likely spin on the plywood or if you have studs will chew it up. The only real drawback to a cargo trailer over a sled trailer is the cargo trailer sits closer to the ground and some areas may have some fairly deep snow to drag it through when you pull in. If you go to the sled show you can look for the flip down accessory that goes on the end of your ramp that line up with the ski guides so your carbides don't destroy the leading edge of the ramp where your sled skis first hit. I also found that depending on the angle of the ramp it is sometimes useful to have something to bridge the gap between the ramp and the floor of the trailer. I use a piece of 2 in. black abs plumbing pipe, cheap and easily replaced. Being round the skis and carbides ride up and over without catching the ramp or floor edges.

I was thinking about that ABS pipe idea to bridge the gaps....do you use a hinge to keep them in place??

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:48 PM, johnsazzr said:

+1 on the screen and mirrors..although the arctic cat site lists the ZR5000 as having the medium I fully expect to end up with a large and add some low profile mirrors..

No I've just got one piece 5 feet long. I load and unload one sled at a time so I just lay it in the gap on one side, unload that sled then move it to the other side for the other sled.

Another thing I do to make things easier.... Our sled skis need to be up to the outside walls of the trailer to fit however the ramp is not as wide as that since there is the rear door opening frame which cuts in a couple of inches from each outside wall. I have seen so many people drive the sled onto the trailer all the way and then try and pick up the front end and move it over. It's real heavy that way and my tired old back ain't what it used to be. I drive the sled up the ramp and into the trailer to where it is past the balance point with part of the track hanging out over the ramp door. I stop there and then pick up the front end of the sled moving the skis over to the outside wall. Based on the balance point being just into the bed of the trailer it makes the front end a lot lighter and easy to lift. I do similar for backing out. Reverse enough to lighten the front end with the track hanging over the ramp, lift the seemingly much lighter front end over and then back down the rest of the way. This way you don't possibly get a ski catching on the recoil cable to the ramp door.

Don't forget to secure the sleds in place both front and rear.

32 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

No I've just got one piece 5 feet long. I load and unload one sled at a time so I just lay it in the gap on one side, unload that sled then move it to the other side for the other sled.

Another thing I do to make things easier.... Our sled skis need to be up to the outside walls of the trailer to fit however the ramp is not as wide as that since there is the rear door opening frame which cuts in a couple of inches from each outside wall. I have seen so many people drive the sled onto the trailer all the way and then try and pick up the front end and move it over. It's real heavy that way and my tired old back ain't what it used to be. I drive the sled up the ramp and into the trailer to where it is past the balance point with part of the track hanging out over the ramp door. I stop there and then pick up the front end of the sled moving the skis over to the outside wall. Based on the balance point being just into the bed of the trailer it makes the front end a lot lighter and easy to lift. I do similar for backing out. Reverse enough to lighten the front end with the track hanging over the ramp, lift the seemingly much lighter front end over and then back down the rest of the way. This way you don't possibly get a ski catching on the recoil cable to the ramp door.

Don't forget to secure the sleds in place both front and rear.

Ahh...so you do not have to cut the pipe in half...you just set down the pipe and it rests in gap while you drive the sled on/off..clever....good advice on the other points...the trailer will have 4 tie downs

Archived