NRSA Season 2016/2017

Just out cleaning truck off. Pretty mild yet. Snow has a lot of moisture in it. Think i'd just be adding to the worsening of the trails so staying put for now.  

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just out cleaning truck off. Pretty mild yet. Snow has a lot of moisture in it. Think i'd just be adding to the worsening of the trails so staying put for now.  

I too decided to stay off the trails today as well.  Hoping to go out tomorrow!

We for a quick drive in truck up that way. Looked like 131 had been recently groomed, few tracks from what i could see at the Wylie rd crossing.  Was hard to tell if the A-Trail East was done as there was quite a few tracks and lots of traffic on it from what i could see from the rd that leads down to the hospital.  On way back to Petawawa i could see lots of sleds heading west on the pipeline .   

Will see what the temps are like in the morning.  If below freezing i may go for a little rip. 

Groomer is out on the TOPS A from Deep River to club line with Keenta (Petawawa plains) right now.  Trail 131 & I think 134 was done very early this morning, groomer operator was out shortly after 2:30am.  TOPS A from Deep River to west to club line with Missing Link plus trail 137 & 138 were done on late Tuesday & yesterday morning.  Tomorrow the entire club's section of TOPS A trail will be done, so you may see the groomer tomorrow afternoon, so watch out for it. 

2 hours ago, KCC said:

Groomer is out on the TOPS A from Deep River to club line with Keenta (Petawawa plains) right now.  Trail 131 & I think 134 was done very early this morning, groomer operator was out shortly after 2:30am.  TOPS A from Deep River to west to club line with Missing Link plus trail 137 & 138 were done on late Tuesday & yesterday morning.  Tomorrow the entire club's section of TOPS A trail will be done, so you may see the groomer tomorrow afternoon, so watch out for it. 

Sounds like things will be back in shape for my ride in the area next week. Thanks for the update. 

About ready to go get sled out for a little ride.  About 2 dozen sleds just left the hotel parking lot here in Petawawa.   

Lots of trailers either arrived last night or this morning early.  Always been a good spot to stay and start from for a weekend.

Hopefully the temp got cold enough overnight to set the trails up good for the weekend, if not, they will be toast by tonight or early

Saturday I imagine.  Now just deciding on which direction to go, maybe a quick look on the ITG will help.  Have wanted to do the 122 trail

near Pembroke again.  Its been likely 10 years since been on it, will have to see if its open yet, but most likely heading to the 130's today as Im

riding solo again. 

3 hours ago, shawnj said:

About ready to go get sled out for a little ride.  About 2 dozen sleds just left the hotel parking lot here in Petawawa.   

Lots of trailers either arrived last night or this morning early.  Always been a good spot to stay and start from for a weekend.

Hopefully the temp got cold enough overnight to set the trails up good for the weekend, if not, they will be toast by tonight or early

Saturday I imagine.  Now just deciding on which direction to go, maybe a quick look on the ITG will help.  Have wanted to do the 122 trail

near Pembroke again.  Its been likely 10 years since been on it, will have to see if its open yet, but most likely heading to the 130's today as Im

riding solo again. 

I just booked into Mattawa golf and ski and riding to pettawa next week. Going to take my time and do all the side trails. The quality inn only had one room left for Wednesday nighday and golf and ski, only had Thursday available.  Now I am glad I am leaving on Friday LOL.

Back from 145kms. 

Petawawa to the NRSA boarder = Brutal! 

All washboard, moguls mix and that was at 10am on a Friday, would hate to see tomorrow.  A trail up to deep river was showing its wear as well even after being just groomed unfortunatley.   I did some of the 130's, even the long one that wasnt groomed recently but was a nice ride around.  I just took my time hoping to see some wildlife but no luck.   I was wishing i had of trailered up as far as Chalk River though, dreading the pipeline back to Petawawa.  I did average 35kms an hr and at times that was way too fast for the conditions being pounded.   I was passed by several, not sure how or why they would want to abuse the sleds let alone their body, ughhh. 

Probably riding in groups like i seen makes you want to keep up to the leader and ride like hell. Not my cup of tea.  

Think im parked till next week for now. 

49 minutes ago, shawnj said:

Back from 145kms. 

Petawawa to the NRSA boarder = Brutal! 

All washboard, moguls mix and that was at 10am on a Friday, would hate to see tomorrow.  A trail up to deep river was showing its wear as well even after being just groomed unfortunatley.   I did some of the 130's, even the long one that wasnt groomed recently but was a nice ride around.  I just took my time hoping to see some wildlife but no luck.   I was wishing i had of trailered up as far as Chalk River though, dreading the pipeline back to Petawawa.  I did average 35kms an hr and at times that was way too fast for the conditions being pounded.   I was passed by several, not sure how or why they would want to abuse the sleds let alone their body, ughhh. 

Probably riding in groups like i seen makes you want to keep up to the leader and ride like hell. Not my cup of tea.  

Think im parked till next week for now. 

Thanks for the update on the A trail.  I will definitely be avoiding that this weekend.  I took that same trail last year and sledders were passing by me and I was thinking the same thing about them abusing their sleds and bodies.  But that was last year when I was riding an Apex.  Now, I'm riding an MXZ and see that I can crash through the bumps a whole lot easier.  Yamaha could learn a few things about suspension from Skidoo, I tells ya.

33 minutes ago, Grimm said:

Thanks for the update on the A trail.  I will definitely be avoiding that this weekend.  I took that same trail last year and sledders were passing by me and I was thinking the same thing about them abusing their sleds and bodies.  But that was last year when I was riding an Apex.  Now, I'm riding an MXZ and see that I can crash through the bumps a whole lot easier.  Yamaha could learn a few things about suspension from Skidoo, I tells ya.

Ya the only thing I don't like about my Apex.  Put it on a fresh hard trail and its like a dream.  Usually the pipeline (aka piston alley) is pretty good, but this year, only once have I seen it, say a 7 out of 10.  They almost need to cut the high spots out, and I know NOTHING about how a groomer works I will admit.  But I would think there is a way to lower a tad, but maybe they don't due to the current snow depth???  

Groomer is out on the trails doing the TOPS A- Deep River to Harvey Lake (club line with Missing LInk), then heading from Deep River TOPS A to the bridge on the Base (club line with Keenta), so hopefully this will help.  We still need more snow to help out the trails and let's hope the mild weather is gone for a while.  

Grass showing through the skiff of snow down here in Prescott where i am now for the wknd.  That's one thing for sure i dont miss after moving northward. 

Hi Karen, do you know if the TOP A from the Keetna border up to Deep River (Bears Den) is done Saturday night by chance?  We'd like to head up that way tomorrow, but the condition of the TOP A (and TOP B ) here in Pembroke/Petawawa is horrible.

2 hours ago, Spanky said:

Hi Karen, do you know if the TOP A from the Keetna border up to Deep River (Bears Den) is done Saturday night by chance?  We'd like to head up that way tomorrow, but the condition of the TOP A (and TOP B ) here in Pembroke/Petawawa is horrible.

Not what I want to here. Is it just heavy traffic or has some moguls froze, when people rode in mild weather? Much new snow lately? 

51 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Not what I want to here. Is it just heavy traffic or has some moguls froze, when people rode in mild weather? Much new snow lately? 

All we got in Petawawa this past week was maybe a generous 4".  In my opinion the A-Trail heading out of Petawawa West was fairly washboard from almost day one this year. My first trip up it of the season wasnt all that bad but just got worse.  Probably the worse that I can remember in many many years of riding it, and yes there has been quite a bit of traffic even in those warm days when we were getting light rain as well.   Its almost like they have to 'cut'

the high spots out if there is such a thing on a groomer to do so. Like i said in my a above post i have no idea how one works to be honest.   I will say one thing tho, there is one heck of a hard base.  

For me, until we get a good dumping of snow I will likley trailer out of Petawawa to Chalk River or Deep River for now. 

I had found the ( not sure if its the A or B Trail off hand) that goes out of Pembroke toward the south, it had been not too bad any time i been that way this yr.   

Hands down, my best running so far has been on the 130's up near Deep River BUT RIDER BEWARE, If your riding the 130 loop trails the Boogey Man may be Lurking. Tell one tell all !!  :twisted:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I understand that the Keetna club (Petawawa) has a groomer down, plus the insane amount of sled traffic in this area in the last two seasons makes for some not-so-nice trails.  Breakdowns happen, and the clubs do their best to get the equipment repaired on their own time.  There are many factors that are out of control of volunteers, the weather this winter has not contributed to good trails, and the misinformation around Bill 100 spread maliciously by the OLA caused much frustration and workload to club volunteers.  I believe that the average snowmobiler does not fully take that into consideration.  Having said that, some clubs and the association in the area designate those trails as green when clearly they should be shown as Limited (NRSA is NOT one of these clubs that do this.  In my experience, if a trail is badly rutted and NRSA is unable to groom that area (they lost a groomer in the last couple years), they will designate that trail as yellow).  I believe that NRSA does the best job they can with the resources they have, and it shows.  My opinion here is more so of the Pembroke/Petawawa area.  

At one time there were 4 paid operators in the association (9 clubs at that time), which allowed for more weekend grooming in high-traffic areas.  I am guessing that budgetary restraints have caused this to no longer be the case (although there are still funds to participate in the snowmobile shows as far as Syracuse to bring riders to this area).  The association ensures that trails are freshly groomed when there is a media ride in the area (Mr. Nicholson, SuperTRAX, etc).  I've seen club presidents in this area beating the drum on social media to fill up motel rooms.  

The optics of this for permit-buying local riders can be negative and frustrating.  Its at the point where a weekend riding local permit buying sledder cannot get out on these trails after Saturday afternoon, and Sunday is a complete write-off.  Very disappointing.   

I also believe that de-valuing the permit down to $180 was not beneficial.  It may have led to higher permit sales provincially, but not an increase in funding.

On yesterdays group ride, we snowmobiled from Pembroke to Eganville, Golden Lake, lunch at the Sands, then back to Pembroke via the B101A/TOP B.  We stopped many times to help visiting riders find their way, and most commented that the trails were terrible,and said they probably wouldn't be back (2 or them were repeat visitors and found the same issue last season).  We did our best to direct them where they wanted to go, but in reality I was very appreciative that they wouldn't be back, and I will pray to the snow-gods that the south gets hit with lots of snow soon.

The advice in a previous post about trailering is sound, and probably the route our group will take going forward.  Not every permit-buying sledder owns a trailer or will be willing to trailer though...and these are the sledders that buy the permits in the area.  Its beneficial to promote the area from a tourism and government support/recognition, but if you don't have the resources/infrastructure to support the higher traffic, you should concentrate solely on the product (trails).  

If you groom it, they will come... 

On groomers, aren't there a few sitting idle in sheds these days?

I'm NOT trying to stir the pot, but if sleds move to where the snow is , why can't the groomers move too?

16 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

On groomers, aren't there a few sitting idle in sheds these days?

I'm NOT trying to stir the pot, but if sleds move to where the snow is , why can't the groomers move too?

I agree Mike.  Understanding though, the logistics of moving a groomer from the south (floating arrangements/time, cost, assumptions of who pays for what in the event of breakdown, qualified operators,etc) isn't as easy as it sounds, I do believe that in the event of a major breakdown, that contingency plans could be made beforehand to float a groomer from an area that doesn't have snow to an area that needs another unit is an excellent idea.  I know its a hot topic, but the systems needs to think/operate more "provincially" (again, I realize that's easier than it sounds).

I wonder if the MOTS discussion includes the creation of a provincial fund that could be applied to in the event an unused groomer could be floated to an area that needs it?

Sorry for the late reponse on the Club line with Keenta to Deep River section of TOPS A, it was groomed last night, but not sure if from the bridges on the BASE to Petawawa as that is Keenta section and I don't have their grooming schedule.  There has been lots of traffic, as you would not have known that Friday night all our A-trail was groomed.  Tonight the groomer is out again doing the A-trail from Deep River to west of Rolphton.  A-trail has taken a beating, I was out this morning with a couple of volunteers fixing a water issue just west of Rolphton and its is bumpy!  

I tried to find some info on the Keetna club but not much on social meadia that i could find anyhow.  A month or so Ago i had asked Terry, i think his last name is Vandry???  Cant rememeber off hand but he was saying the Keetna clubhouse is not around anymore but the Timberline clubhouse is still,  which I know where it is.   

( appologize as not really in the correct topic heading) 

I was out the last to 2 days on the TOPS A & local trails were in good shape.  Cold weather has help set up the trails, TOPS A-Deep River to west club line & trail 137 were groomed last night.  We got a few cm of snow over night.  The wood box at the stopping place has been re-stocked!  This weekend is our poker run and Dougie's Dogs will be at the stopping place with a bonfire.  Plus our 40th Anniversary Selfie Tour kicks off today (FEB 1), look for the signs on trail 131 & 134, take a selfie and post on our facebook page for a chance to win $40 gift card, then at the end your name will be entered into draw to win a $150 gift certificate donated by the Bear's Den in Deep River. 

Hey KCC, any way you can talk the NRSA groomer op's to come Petawawa way and show them what you guy's can do to a trail. LOL. 

OMG what conditions down this way.   Thought when my gf got off work we'd head up to Deep River or Rolohton for supper.  Boy was i wrong.  Got 4 kms from and couldnt take any more so turned back. 

Ended up going toward Pembroke instead.    A-Trail still choppy, B-Trail outta Pembroke more wash board tonight so turned off and headed to Irving for supper. 

If we make if up to the poker run we will be trailering for certain.  

1 hour ago, shawnj said:

Hey KCC, any way you can talk the NRSA groomer op's to come Petawawa way and show them what you guy's can do to a trail. LOL. 

OMG what conditions down this way.   Thought when my gf got off work we'd head up to Deep River or Rolohton for supper.  Boy was i wrong.  Got 4 kms from and couldnt take any more so turned back. 

Ended up going toward Pembroke instead.    A-Trail still choppy, B-Trail outta Pembroke more wash board tonight so turned off and headed to Irving for supper. 

If we make if up to the poker run we will be trailering for certain.  

That's unfortunate for sure.  I finally decided to book a day off work Friday to sled to Mattawa for lunch, can't get out on the weekend due to the terrible moguls on the TOP trails here.  Hopefully the TOP A is groomed by then.

Sad state when you live on the trails and still have to trailer...

52 minutes ago, Spanky said:

That's unfortunate for sure.  I finally decided to book a day off work Friday to sled to Mattawa for lunch, can't get out on the weekend due to the terrible moguls on the TOP trails here.  Hopefully the TOP A is groomed by then.

Sad state when you live on the trails and still have to trailer...

Where you sledding from Spanky?

Ya kinda crappy having trail access here in Petawawa and its horid heading west and 

manageable heading east.  We seen fresh goomer tracks around the Irving tonight but boy a few sleds later and you'd never know it had just been done.  I imagine the hard pack ice is hard to level out. 

Not sure if I heard one of Keetna's groomers were down?? I tried to find some info on the club but theres isnt much there to find.   Would love to get up to the NRSA poker run early saturday morning as well.  

Weather looking like a nice weekend coming up. 

Archived