NRSA Season 2016/2017

Our trail coordinator Simon & the trail improvement committee has been busy, getting ready for the upcoming season.  Trail 135 into Deep River is under construction and I thought I would post a few pictures of these improvements!  Still lots of projects in the works, as well as a couple trail work days, which I will keep you all up to date!

post-21258-0-48181900-1475151748_thumb.jpg

post-21258-0-02072700-1475151847_thumb.jpg

post-21258-0-88701400-1475151868_thumb.jpg

post-21258-0-26791900-1475151916_thumb.jpg

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trail 135 into Deep River is under construction .. 

I recall reading that the former (narrow) trail that led in behind Tim Horton's was being improved.

Is this it?

Or is this a trail from another direction?

(Of course, when I pick up a paper Trail Map (Guide) at the Sled Show, I'll see for myself :) )

Thanks for the hard work, group.

Yes it that trail.

Last year, we had a culvert installed to replace the old single lane bridge going into Tim Horton's & Deep River, plus a new park/ride & a trail into the Bear's Den. This year we completed trail improvements from the culvert to the TOPS A.

Our group hopes to make to Deep River this upcoming season. Ran out of snow last year. We enjoy riding through sled friendly towns.

Jerry

Volunteers were hard at work on Thursday, using a rented brusher & were very pleased with the outcome. We are so lucky to have skilled volunteers operators! Work was done on trail 131 & TOPS A trail about 15 kms west of Deep River.  

post-21258-0-96398700-1475419341_thumb.jpg

post-21258-0-33110800-1475419359_thumb.jpg

post-21258-0-65930300-1475419384_thumb.jpg

post-21258-0-79346700-1475419413_thumb.jpg

post-21258-0-00438500-1475419428_thumb.jpg

post-21258-0-35707100-1475419438_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

NRSA Trail Work Day - Sat Oct 29 (rain date Sat Nov 5)

As the upcoming snowmobile season is fast approaching it is that time of year again to give the NRSA trail system a bit of attention in order to give it a head start once the snow starts to fall. We are planning on getting a few light chores done on Saturday Oct 29, with a rain date of Nov 5, and would appreciate anybody who could spare a few hours of their time to lend a hand. We have been working hard with a mechanical brusher so that the workload is not overwhelming for our volunteers, however there are still the usual problem areas that require extra effort. Jobs to be done are the usual brushing, obstacle removal and most of all, sharing lots of laughs. The work day will be followed by bbq and light refreshments for all, hosted by the world famous "Dougie's Dogs" at our gracious hosts, Doug and Karen's home on Meillieurs rd at around 3-4pm.

If you are available to lend a hand simply reply to Simon at sdlawson@nrtco.net  indicating so, as well as, if you can bring an ATV, chain saw, truck etc. Once I get a rough idea of the numbers of people available, we will identify  meeting spots and go from there. RSVP by Thurs Oct 27 for planning purposes.

Our volunteers are the sole reason our trail system is as great as it is! Hope to see you there!

Here a picture of the work being completed, thanks to the external funding grant!  The area is on the TOPS A-trail past 135 trail into Deep River and after the 2nd large culvert on the TOPS A.  This will enable us earlier grooming and riding!

Grant.jpg

• 1 month later...

Great to see active volunteers and snowmobiling thriving in the upper Ottawa valley.   It is a tough go closer to Ottawa with too many city folks and urban sprawl. Breath of fresh air and gives me hope to see the above progress. Keep up the great work! 

Thanks Largedaryl,  I know what you mean by tough times for snowmobilers close to Ottawa.  I'm original from Carleton Place & after sledding up here we made the move to Deep River/Rolphton area in 2007 as you could see the city moving out!  

It's a big year for NRSA it's our 40th anniversary as a OFSC member!  Planning is under way for a big event in February!  Should be fun for all.  We were our yesterday on the atvs, removing a few down trees as a result of the big snowfall a couple weeks ago.  Lucky for us the snow melted, so it was easier to remove the balsam trees.  

Groomer/dag,  signage, projects, outhouses & trail work are completed and ready for snow!

Great work guys!  

Spent a week in Deep River last year, riding out of The Bears Den....awesome trails!

• 2 weeks later...

Stopping Place is ready for the winter!  Now all we need is more snow!

DSCN0482.JPG

Let's hope it arrives and then we can start packing the trails!

Merry Christmas to all!  Glad to see that Santa has came early with SNOW!  Thought I would give a quick update, our groomer operators are busy packing and trails are still closed at this time as we still need more snow on the trails.

Hope everyone had a happy & safe Christmas! Thought I would give a brief update, we received a little freezing rain & ice pellets yesterday, temperatures stayed around -7 all day.  Today the temperature is currently at zero, let hope its stay there but we still need more snow before we can open the trails.  Let's hope we get the some in the forecast!

As of today, our trail system has been opened as limited (yellow - OFSC interactive map), thanks to our dedicated volunteers! But if you see any obstacles on the trails, please take the time to remove it or take down any face slappers, many hands make light work!
Happy Trails!  

I just noticed the trails all went from Red to Yellow as well Karen.  That is very exciting to see and can hardly wait to get up that way

again.  Hopefully these warm two days don't hurt the trails too much.  

Just went out for a cpl hrs. Got gas here in Petawawa and headed toward Chalk river.

The A -Trail from Petawawa up to the scenic bridge across the river( may be the boarder) were awesome.  They got pretty moguly from there up though.  I turned around on the trail leading to the park n ride as it wasnt looking a lot better ahead.  

Probably need another good dumping of snow by the looks of it to fill in the whoops.  Still pretty excited to be out this early this year.   Hope the winter is good to us all. 

Groomer is actually out now heading east on the TOPS A from Deep River to  the Club line east of chalk River, so it should be better tomorrow. 

NRSA was lucky little bit of rain but about 5 or 6 inches of new snow this morning.  Trails are coming along nicely, but are still limited so ride with care!

This cold should set those trails up quite nicely :D

I can already feel the tips of my figers going numb from the cold in anticipation of getting out over the next few days. 

As of today Jan 4, NRSA trails have been updated to green on the OFSC inactive map, trail A101Q from Hwy 17 to the quebec side remain limited as is road running.  Enjoy the trails!

Hoping to take a run to Deep River and back this evening. Maybe DinDin at the Bears Den 

We parked at Tim's in Deep this morning and headed out for a great 242 km day!  Trails were great.  Full spectrum from crusty hard fresh groomed to 4" of powder out there.  Best set of green trails in Ontario right now.

Really enjoyed the 130 and 190 system of trails.  Talked to the groomer that was heading out of Stonecliff east on A and passed another heading east on A outside Deep.

Even saw 3 moose today! 

Archived