Whats your track preference?

snocrazy

I'm looking for input on tracks. Sled is 15 MXZ 600 Sport. I currently have 1.25 ripsaw with 84 studs that came with the sled. Anyone have experience with a 1.5 or 1.75? Is 1.75 too big for trails?

I've got a 7/8" 121" track with no studs on a 670, it's plenty good for trail riding.  If I had 1 1/4" I'd be breaking trail all day with it.  1 1/4 is enough, the Grand Tourings with the Silent Drive track only has 1" of lug (137" long though).  If you're studding there's all kinds of grip there.

If you feel a need for more lug, I'd look at the 1.5" lug that some Doo's come with (Expedition Sport, for example), but in a 15x120" to fit your sled. Most 1.75" lug tracks I've seen have very stiff lugs and chew the trail up a lot more than you'd think; they're common with crossover sleds and Freerides.  The 1.5" track is very nice; The lugs are more plentiful, wider, more support, and IIRC there are holes in the lugs for screw-in studs, giving you another studding option.  I don't think I'd ever go bigger than that for a trail sled, you lose trail speed and efficiency, the bigger the lug you run.

if you are mostly trail riding I would think a 1.5 would be max with the odd off trail excursion but you would also be tearing up trails during warmer weather and trails without a base IMO. 1 to 1.25 is the ideal lug height, if traction is an issue look to studding the lower lug tracks

If I might try 1.75 this year as I off trail a lot more and trails out here rarely see warm weather

That is the catch 22 with the taller lugs is you deal with melting sliders and possible more trail damage that many groomer ops might not be fond of

For trail riding I won't go above 1.25" and take a look at the prestudded tracks

I had a studded 1.25" Ripsaw on my 2005 RX1 and when I replaced it went with 1.25" prestudded. Didn't notice any change in bite but didn't worry about a stud through the heat exchanger

X2 on the pre-studded

I've had one for 5 years now, wouldn't go back to a studded one.

If your like me an do 80% on trail and 20% off trail, Id suggest a 1.5" lug pre studded in either ice ripper or camoplast cobra tracks. IMO. 

Used 1.25 Ripsaw, 1.35 Cobra and 1.75 SnoCross tracks. All were studded. the 1.75 worked great but really tore up the trails and definitely needed scratchers. The 1.25 Ripsaw, I have no use for at all, hate it! Really like the Cobra over the Ripsaw but wish it was a 1.5 Cobra instead of the 1.35. Having said all this my choices would be 1.5 Cobra for 50/50 trail off trail then either the 1.35 Cobra if more on trail or the 1.75 SX if more off trail. 

Good luck with choosing.

Agree, Rip 2 is an improvement over the Rip 1 but I still like the Cobra much more than the Rip 2. Cobra seems to hook up better on trail and is much better off trail. Rip is easier to slide the back end around.

I ran a 1.5 cross over for the last few years and it was great even on hard pack trails. I tried the 1.6 cobra last year and traction was awesome but sliders melted off like crazy.

If you are mostly running trails then I would not go over 1.25" lug, ripsaw II or cobra are good choices.

If you ride much around where you live (Sutton & Lake Simcoe), 1.25 with some studs is likely the best choice.

Comes down to your riding style and where you generally ride...plus the sled itself, some are just bad for slider wear.

I really liked the 1.5 cobra, it is a great track, I did not have the ice cobra with the studs though. Preferred the track with no studs, slider wear was fine.

I currently have a 1.75" track, it works great, no studs, just need to be careful what you ride on, slider wear is more of a concern, but just something else you need to be aware of. I am not much a lake rider, except around the Dorset area, but most lakes are well snow covered, so a non issue. It is not too much for the trails (IMO), but that depends on your riding habits & locations. 

.. but the next sled might get a pre studded..

Careful if you get an Arctic Cat frame (not a problem for you, IQ, lol) . It may have the new Quiet Track.

I swapped to a pre-studded and regret it. Buddy's same-year Viper is much quieter. Should've just studded the track. Or run without  studs...most of my km. seem to be up north lately.

Careful if you get an Arctic Cat frame (not a problem for you, IQ, lol) . It may have the new Quiet Track.

I swapped to a pre-studded and regret it. Buddy's same-year Viper is much quieter. Should've just studded the track. Or run without  studs...most of my km. seem to be up north lately.

You never know what can happen Canuck..The new Doo we are picking up next Saturday..HEHE, is coming with a ice ripper XT. So we will see how it performs this season..

IQTURBO, I'm told they give very respectable performance on ice, giving you the safety factor of drilled studs, but without the over-aggressive hard-to-steer nature of them. I've test ridden both styles, and much prefer the ice ripper type, as they behave similar to a non-studded sled on a groomed trail.

Just put a 1.3/4 backcountry on my sled, can't wait to try it out. Want to go to Wawa and cochrane this year with it.

Thanks for all the input everyone. The last thing I want to do is rip up the trails with a big track. I like the look of the Ice Cobra 1.6 pre studed , and the Ice Attack XT Pre studded 1.22

I always have it in the back of my mind while riding the chance of a stud launching into the heat exchanger.  With a pre studded track is it possible for a stud to rip out and cause damage also?

You never know what can happen Canuck..The new Doo we are picking up next Saturday..HEHE, is coming with a ice ripper XT. So we will see how it performs this season..

Congrats on the new sled! Did you buy the Enduro?

Thanks for all the input everyone. The last thing I want to do is rip up the trails with a big track. I like the look of the Ice Cobra 1.6 pre studed , and the Ice Attack XT Pre studded 1.22

I always have it in the back of my mind while riding the chance of a stud launching into the heat exchanger.  With a pre studded track is it possible for a stud to rip out and cause damage also?

No!  I have the Ice Ripper and Ice Attack on all 3 of my machines with lots of K on each of them.

With a pre studded track is it possible for a stud to rip out and cause damage also?

In theory, it is possible for one to come out, and if it does, yes, it could in theory poke a rad.  However if you consider the weight of those little studs, the damage it might do is next to nothing when compared to a full-sized stud and backer.  They're very thin in profile and short, and will likely bounce off the heat exchanger rather than poke a hole.

Remember that you still need tunnel protectors with a pre-studded track ....

No!  I have the Ice Ripper and Ice Attack on all 3 of my machines with lots of K on each of them.

Good to hear great feedback with lots of kms

In theory, it is possible for one to come out, and if it does, yes, it could in theory poke a rad.  However if you consider the weight of those little studs, the damage it might do is next to nothing when compared to a full-sized stud and backer.  They're very thin in profile and short, and will likely bounce off the heat exchanger rather than poke a hole.

Remember that you still need tunnel protectors with a pre-studded track ....

Thanks for the input Denis. I really like the sound of the pre studded!

We traded in the GSX SE 1200 for another doo.. will post pics once we pick it up..we still have the 2015 doo renegade adrenaline 1200.. for now anyways....

Looking forward to the pictures IQ

I was talking to the camso rep at the show last year, he was actually the one who designed most of the prestudded tracks including the cobra 1.6. He said they had issues with the early models, studs would fly out just from the centrifugal force from the track going around the rear idlers. To solve this issue they made the studs as long as possible (nearly the same height as the lug) and added a large shoulder similar to a regular stud which gets molded into the track.

I would not worry about these tearing out,the only thing that could happen is maybe a carbide tip breaks off which shouldn't do much if any damage.

Archived