Kearney Legion Winter Kitchen

KearneyCookhouse

This winter I'm a gonna invite me some city folk to try some sleddin.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This winter I'm a gonna invite me some city folk to try some sleddin.

That's how I got hooked. I hadn't any interest at all. I had perceptions that were similar to what I mentioned as to where to ride and challenges as to where to keep one. Friends who lived in Port Severn took me out for a ride that was anticipated to be an hour or two and ended up being seven. Two weekends later we had a two up sled. They let us keep it at their home in a clam shell trailer.

I use to invite city friends up too but we are down to 1 sled so that's the end of that!

I sense that the spare sled for "occasional use" or buddy is less popular. Tough to develop interest if folks don't have access to sleds. Renting is a great option, tho. Wish more would try it.

My 1973 Moto Ski probably had 15 different riders in the saddle over the years , and a handful of those guys stayed in the sport to the mid 90's.

• 2 months later...

Any more updates to this would be appreciated. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to update

Kearney Winter Kitchen is run by "The Grumpy Veteran" now.  I have heard good things about the food, but haven't yet been in to sample anything

Kearney O'Neil's was closed over the holiday - it is not usual that the trails are open over the Christmas Break and they needed to close for some vacation time before the busy sledding season - so I believe they will be reopening on Friday.  Food is excellent there - all home made, soups are outstanding and burgers are enormous!  Try the curry fries too!

Whiskey Jacks has now been SOLD and is closed!  Not sure when they will re-open

As for Suds on Main - the only comment I have is that they are owned by the same person that owns Edgewater Park Lodge and The Bush Company in Dwight.  Just not sure who it is that is actually managing that place.  

Getting dumped on with snow as I speak - so hope that everything is up and running by this weekend  cuz they are gonna be busy!

whiskeys finally sold...that place was for sale a longggg time

On 9/26/2016 at 0:50 PM, Canuck said:

My 1973 Moto Ski probably had 15 different riders in the saddle over the years ,

Sounds like a cheerleader I knew in 1973.  Not the same name though.  

Why, oh why, do I shudder when this new fangled system says you have a 'notification' from STG. Go Dallas (and that probably wasn't her name either.... if you say 'the team' you have delusions of grandeur :-P

On 1/4/2017 at 0:42 PM, Giddy UP said:

Just wanted to update

Kearney Winter Kitchen is run by "The Grumpy Veteran" now.  I have heard good things about the food, but haven't yet been in to sample anything

Kearney O'Neil's was closed over the holiday - it is not usual that the trails are open over the Christmas Break and they needed to close for some vacation time before the busy sledding season - so I believe they will be reopening on Friday.  Food is excellent there - all home made, soups are outstanding and burgers are enormous!  Try the curry fries too!

Whiskey Jacks has now been SOLD and is closed!  Not sure when they will re-open

As for Suds on Main - the only comment I have is that they are owned by the same person that owns Edgewater Park Lodge and The Bush Company in Dwight.  Just not sure who it is that is actually managing that place.  

Getting dumped on with snow as I speak - so hope that everything is up and running by this weekend  cuz they are gonna be busy!

Thanks for the update Giddy Up! Yes I heard the same about the grumpy veteran and that this year he will only open it on the weekends and not the 7 days a week like the other great crew did. Nonetheless will still be happy to support the legion and its members as much as possible and maybe see about it this weekend.. 

As for kearney Oneils, this is just sent out on their FB page. 

Hello Everyone,

Happy New Year!!!

We will be open Friday January 6, 2017 11-8pm offering breakfast on Saturday and Sunday from 8:30-11:30 and specials as well as regular menu from 11:30-8:00pm....Friday Special Fish and Chips

1 hour ago, SuperG said:

Thanks for the update Giddy Up! Yes I heard the same about the grumpy veteran and that this year he will only open it on the weekends and not the 7 days a week like the other great crew did. Nonetheless will still be happy to support the legion and its members as much as possible and maybe see about it this weekend.. 

As for kearney Oneils, this is just sent out on their FB page. 

Hello Everyone,

Happy New Year!!!

We will be open Friday January 6, 2017 11-8pm offering breakfast on Saturday and Sunday from 8:30-11:30 and specials as well as regular menu from 11:30-8:00pm....Friday Special Fish and Chips

Nunz said he was at the legion today. 

39 minutes ago, reevester said:

Nunz said he was at the legion today. 

Nice well we will have to pick his brain on his thoughts about it.. 

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I rode from Baysville to Kearny last Saturday. Trails were great other then the road runs. Had lunch at the legion the clubhouse and fries were excellent. 175 miles round trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone. Just a heads up on the Kearney Legion and the kitchen. A couple has taken it over and the cook is a military vet. The food is awesome and now there is pizza on the menu. You really need to come in and try the food and decide for yourself.

I am a member of this Legion and will not go into detail about the change other than to say it wasn't feasible for the Legion to stay open 7 days per week.

* I am not affiliated with the kitchen in any way. I eat there and pay like everyone else.

Come on out and enjoy some great food.

Their hours are:

Thursday - 8 am to 9 pm

Friday - 8 am to 10 pm

Saturday - 8 am to 9 pm

Sunday - 8 am to 7 pm

had a great breakfast at the legion this morning, Adams cooking was great as usual

they are open until 10pm on Friday night, and 9pm on Saturday night, they will stay open later if there are still people coming in

Archived