Kearney Legion Winter Kitchen

KearneyCookhouse

Thanks to everyone who came out to the Kearney Legion Winter Kitchen which was open 7 days a week last year.  Hundreds and hundreds of people came out and enjoyed our all day breakfast and pub menu.  We got told it was an amazing success, the bills got paid and they assured us that this winter would be available to the 4 of us cooks again.  However they have decided to go with a different direction this winter and are having one of their Vets run the kitchen on a weekend only basis.   We wish them well.  Thanks again everyone who saw the signs on the trails and came to the Legion last winter.  We  had a blast.  

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad ,i like to ride through the week the most ,we rode from port Sydney to kearney and back several times great trails to boot 

It was an awesome success! I rode from parry sound to their for dinner(breakfast) a couple times throughout the season and brought some friends along for the ride. They too were amazed by it and the price was right! We are all looking forward to it again this year. Sorry but just want to clarify what you said, so are you guys going to be running it through the week or is it now only going to be open on the weekends and by the vets only now?  

we are out completely, sorry guys.  We loved the kitchen, it was a new experience for them and us.  The Legion got paid, the customers enjoyed the food and we were assured of this winter coming but there was a new Executive, all volunteers, good meaning people, elected in May and they decided to only open the kitchen with the guy they wanted and the hours greatly reduced.   The Legion is not running the kitchen, they have a respected Veteran, no longer active, who bought a chip truck in a nearby town this summer and who wanted a chance at running a kitchen this winter.  Just Fridays to Sunday.  We were doing 7 days a week but that is not the direction the Legion is going this winter.  We did have the pleasure of enjoying his chips this summer and we are sure you will too.  

We are going to be there next weekend for the Algonguin ATV rally for breakfast ,are you involved with this ?or is this the atv club cooking 

Wow, im kinda shocked by this, and saddened. Was really looking forward to the great food and hospitality this coming season that was going to be available 7 days a week now going down to just weekends. :(. I hope after this winter that they will change it back to what it was. I will still go now only on the weekends to help support the legion and vet. Hope you guys dont give up on it though in case it doesnt do as good this year you guys then can come back :).  

Kind of makes you wonder what is in peoples heads. Here you have something that was a positive for the community since it was open 7 days a week and was apparently successful even in such a poor snow winter and they turn it around and now do weekends only. Can't help but think somebody is in bed with somebody to take a step backwards like that. Especially knowing we are all going to get dumped on with snow this year.

Obviously they aren't familiar with "if it aint broke don't fix it"

Guess I will only see Kearney on weekends since I will never go into Suds on Main again.

They opened a new restaurant "Kearney O'Neils??" in the old iron skillet this year.  Haven't been so don't know if it is any good or what their hours are in the winter.  Some of the locals may be able to offer some advise.  Also the trailside cookhouse??

They opened a new restaurant "Kearney O'Neils??" in the old iron skillet this year.  Haven't been so don't know if it is any good or what their hours are in the winter.  Some of the locals may be able to offer some advise.  Also the trailside cookhouse??

Great to hear there are alternatives. The Iron Skillet was a welcome alternative and it was unfortunate to see it go as well.

ive heard predominately good things about  "Kearney O'Neils", of course its no iron skillet but still good enough. I was hoping to get a chance to see it for myself this year but been too busy with everything. I will try to get a glimpse into their winter hour schedule an post up here unless someone else has any more info on it.. Cause I know for myself and a lot of other people, Suds on main is a NO GO! 

ive heard predominately good things about  "Kearney O'Neils", of course its no iron skillet but still good enough. I was hoping to get a chance to see it for myself this year but been too busy with everything. I will try to get a glimpse into their winter hour schedule an post up here unless someone else has any more info on it.. Cause I know for myself and a lot of other people, Suds on main is a NO GO! 

It amazes me how they manage to stay in business. Microwaved everything from frozen and the slowest service imaginable with an I don't care attitude.

That is right, and both of those places are quite nice with very good food.

It must be the beer sales that keep them going with those that need it bad enough to put up with the lousy food.

I believe the same owner owns the Bush Company in Dwight and Edgewater on Sand Lake???

They also own suds on main. Never eaten there, so can't comment on food or service. If martian is still at edge water, food will be great all winter. The fish nights are worth the trip on sled midweek. I believe it is Wednesday or Thursday night, don't remember which one.

Doogirl69, on 19 Sept 2016 - 4:36 PM, said:

So what are the options this Winter in Kearney?

Usually work weekends so weekday rides up that way are always the plan.

Come a little further out to Sand Lake and stop at Whiskey Jacks approx 10 mins from Kearney on the 303 trail. Good home cooked meals,licensed,gas and motels. 

Good to know snowchopper! thanks for the info. 

Come a little further out to Sand Lake and stop at Whiskey Jacks approx 10 mins from Kearney on the 303 trail. Good home cooked meals,licensed,gas and motels. 

Absolutely.  And owners Liz and Mark have been great supporters of Almaguin Club for many years.  Not just map advertisers but real commitment of time and services.

Went to the legion a couple times last year and enjoyed the food, but whiskey Jacks/ silversands is the spot to go. I believe it was for sale correct me if I'm wrong?

Archived