Rant of the Day: Naming rather than numbering trails

revrnd

Editing my GPS files & checking the trail guides & have noticed some clubs still are using names for the trails. You would think the OFSC/Districts would want trails numbered for easier data entry. I'm pretty sure most clubs have switched over. Much easier to put a number on a map (and easier for "tourist" to understand).

Numbering the intersections (with a number sign at the intersection) such as district 9 started and district 5 does with the intersection numbers on the district maps makes riders life pretty easy. However I do agree that trails should be numbered. 

Perhaos MOTS District standardization and sharing of best practices will address such issues....

Should have official number trails and also if a club desires to keep the name with the proper OFSC numbering

We went to numbering here 3yrs ago too

Our club trails were pioneer trail blazer in the area and some animal names, as an outsider I see how it can be confusing but it is also nice to see the names on top of the numbers . All trails are numbered now but also have the old names

I was looking @ D1's map from last season. Even the ITG uses the names. Will see what 2017 brings.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering why all the signs have a spot for 'km' but hardly any of them have a number. It would be nice when you are at an intersection to be able to know how far you are from the next town or fuel, even if it's a close guess.

I'm wondering why all the signs have a spot for 'km' but hardly any of them have a number. It would be nice when you are at an intersection to be able to know how far you are from the next town or fuel, even if it's a close guess.

I think in most cases the number of km's. is missing in our area because when the signs go up there is no snow for the volunteers to ride the trail to find the answer + they are beat from doing the stakes and signage and then when there is snow the volunteers want to be riding like everybody else. 

If someone knows of a large Marker Pen that works on frozen surfaces, let me know. Maybe I can do some after I retire.

The other part of the reason is that after the season, in most cases, signs are removed until the new season.  The chances of the right sign being found for a location would be time consuming, and that is assuming that there hasn't been a reroute, either minor or major, for the new season.

I remember 15yrs ago riding and coming across a  10 km to X destination sign to end up at a 25 km to X destination sign and wondering what the hell , we figured the signs got mixed up that season.

I like Trail head maps personally with "you are here" Xs too

I remember 15yrs ago riding and coming across a  10 km to X destination sign to end up at a 25 km to X destination sign and wondering what the hell , we figured the signs got mixed up that season.

I like Trail head maps personally with "you are here" Xs too

The ones w/o an "x" aren't that helpful. BTDT, in the dark.

The other part of the reason is that after the season, in most cases, signs are removed until the new season.  The chances of the right sign being found for a location would be time consuming, and that is assuming that there hasn't been a reroute, either minor or major, for the new season.

just a suggestion here, I write the intersection # on the back of my signs and keep the signs for each intersection all together. Might not work for everyone, but it does 4 me.

just a suggestion here, I write the intersection # on the back of my signs and keep the signs for each intersection all together. Might not work for everyone, but it does 4 me.

That's a great idea but it only works in districts that number their intersections.

I've seen some clubs that put GPS co-ordinates on the back of each sign.

Really helps with determining where you are, and with sign placement when opening trails, not to mention ORS situations.

I've seen some clubs that put GPS co-ordinates on the back of each sign.

Really helps with determining where you are, and with sign placement when opening trails, not to mention ORS situations.

that seems like a r4easonable Idea

Going to the clubhouse tomorrow myself and our signage coordinator to paints ,change and update signs for the up coming season

Archived