Maybe you guys can help me...

Baylaker

Sadly you gotta pay to play in the snow plowing business. But if you start small and slowly work your way up it can work out. What type of plowing are you planning to do?

Also http://www.plowsite.com/ Your best source of info(opinions) but also a tough crowd sometimes

Those guys are a holes! I got grilled for asking about this topic. I couldn't believe it! But I knew all you guys would help out, and believe me...you guys have helped a lot! So thanks to everybody for their kind input

try this North American tractor site.............much more civilized and has a section specifically for Snow removal, you can peruse there for weeks of reading .        tractorbynet.com  , just go to the forum section and there are about forty different subsections (one is snow removal)

Thank you sir!

I really like new giant tendo units. Can reach and dump snow 20 feet high. A unit cost 56 k two years ago, that same unit today is 80k. Equipment prices have sky rocketed last few seasons.

I really like new giant tendo units. Can reach and dump snow 20 feet high. A unit cost 56 k two years ago, that same unit today is 80k. Equipment prices have sky rocketed last few seasons.

What's a "Tendo"?  I did a quick search and couldn't figure out what it was.

What's a "Tendo"?  I did a quick search and couldn't figure out what it was.

Its a small telehandler designed more for ag use. When our skidsteer starts costing us too much money(8000hrs right now) we are considering the giant since it is a similar size to the skidsteer but has higher reach, heavier lifting capacity and faster road speed.

Its a small telehandler designed more for ag use. When our skidsteer starts costing us too much money(8000hrs right now) we are considering the giant since it is a similar size to

the skidsteer but has higher reach, heavier

lifting capacity and faster road speed.

8000 hrs that is impressive. Giant is a nice unit, slow sales right now, but they are catching on. I have one older building still in production, ceiling is too low for a skid steer, but giant will clear at 6'2".

Check on a site called dozer.com

They advertise off season rentals of equipment.

I am not sure whats on there but have heard they are busy.

I've used a quad (400 Outlander Max) and plow (50" I think) to clear our 200' driveway for 8 years now.  It's fun and works well, but we don't get much snow.  Only about 2 or 3 times there's been enough snow to make it really difficult.  Around here, a pickup with a blade seems the most popular.

Some of the guys up there I know would need  a holder on each chair for at least a 6 pack for an average size driveway.

RW

Funny. I can picture that :-P

Buddy of mine converted a section of 'dock' into a boat. Outboard motor on the back, lawnchairs, cooler (oc.com does not condone said behaviour, unless it's flying monkey brew from barrie).

"We are Canadian"

• 3 weeks later...

How big is your driveway area?  I would think a typical size double to triple you are fine with an ATV and plow but if it is huge it will take a long time and be very difficult to keep the banks back...my friend used a plow on his Arctic Cat side by side...he broke the frame several times and wrecked the gears from trying to push the snow back....be now has a Kubota side by side that weights over 2000 lbs...likely paid 20k for it ..ouch

1 hour ago, johnsazzr said:

How big is your driveway area?  I would think a typical size double to triple you are fine with an ATV and plow but if it is huge it will take a long time and be very difficult to keep the banks back...my friend used a plow on his Arctic Cat side by side...he broke the frame several times and wrecked the gears from trying to push the snow back....be now has a Kubota side by side that weights over 2000 lbs...likely paid 20k for it ..ouch

The Arctic Cat Side by Side is not durable in my experience.  

I have a long driveway, double wide, 6 cars end to end, for 12 + 1 in the 3 wide area by the garage.  I used a Honda ATV and a plow the first year.  It worked fine but there is no way it could handle a large dump of heavy snow.  The big consideration is where the snow will go when it comes off the plow.  If you can plow from the centre out both sides, then you have a chance.  I had to plow from one side, all to the other.  This stacks up the snow to push, heavier each pass.

You need to be able to take a run at it and keep the momentum going.

This was my experience.  It was much enjoyable than a Snow Blower, but the Snow Blower got the job in the end.

On 9/17/2016 at 7:12 PM, Baylaker said:

So I've started my own business and looking for advice on winter snow removal set ups using an atv with either a plow or a blower attachment. Do any of you guys have an atv with a plow or blower attachment on it? How well do they work?

A lot of my competition run small kubotas with blower attachments for small residential driveways.

But those tractor setups are $40k and the tractors themselves are slow.

I'm thinking the atv set up would be faster forsure. And way less money!

Kubota's are expensive and in commercial applications are a pia for breakdowns. Atvs are simpler, faster and work better imo. Are you doing commercial lots or driveways?

You know, if you're innovative, I was thinking.  You could rig a 5' plow on the front of the quad, and a blower unit on the rear, or vice versa.  You would likely need stiffer springs both ends (Can-am has them available for all units), but you would have the best of both worlds.  Push snow to clear the lot, then blow it where you want.  Minimal cost, minimal abuse on the unit, all separate units so if one fails you have the other for backup.

Personally, if it were me, I'd go with a Honda, simply because it's the only bike on the market that has no belt drive, is gear-on-gear, so maximum durability with minimum maintenance.  And it has a rewind start backup if the battery goes dead.  TRX420, manual or electric shift... I'd go with electric myself, easier on the foot ....

Well guys, thanks for all the replies! I've actually purchased a like new 32" Ariens commercial pro snowblower. Only paid $1000 for it. Guy was asking $2500. Anyways the thing is a beast of a snowblower! My little 5hp Ariens work amazing and throws snow like crazy so I can only imagine how this thing will work! 

Im doing mostly residential, but I might pick up a small commercial lot (3-4parking space) in Guelph. Actually all my work is in Guelph so far. 

image.jpeg

Good stuff, Ariens makes good equipment. Their own engine on it or a Briggs? 

Archived