D trail @ Field in trouble

Kaz

Just saw this on the West Nipissing Club web page. That will be a bummer if they loose that connection between Sudbury and North Bay.

http://www.wnsc.ca/

If you snowmobile in the Field area on the D trail railbed ..... TAKE NOTE ....... The bridge over highway 64 at Field is slated for removal in 2017 !
This will create an enormous obstacle to the D trail as there is no viable detour . The West Nipissing Snowmobile Club has met with the planners and the MTO and we all need to express our concerns in the next 14 days to make our position known and considered 
Email tim.rogers@aecom.com

Or write Aecom
189 Wyld St. Suite103
North Bay, On
P1B1Z2

Do it now ... This is very crucial to the existing D trail .

Kaz - Aecom appears to be an engineering firm of some type. Any idea what their role is in the removal of the bridge? Would make it easier to frame a comment in the email.

I will send an email to the club as well.

wonder if the OFSC cares 

Have a look at the OFSC interactive trail guide. From what I can see, Field is not marked or shown as such on the map. The only thing that shows appears as Lavigne post office which doesn't make sense to me.

Have a look at the OFSC interactive trail guide. From what I can see, Field is not marked or shown as such on the map. The only thing that shows appears as Lavigne post office which doesn't make sense to me.

D trail where it crosses hwy 64 in Field, near the intersection of D trail and WN 404.

It's an old railway bed and by looking at the satellite image on the OFSC map there talking about removing the old railway bridge that crosses hwy 64. 

Thanks for the info.

Is this currently a 'snowmobile only' trail or multi-purpose?

I've drafted a letter - just want a few more details. Aecon is, in fact, a large infrastructure project firm. Odd that letters would be addressed to them. They tender, get contracts and proceed. Not in their best interest to defer work.

D trail where it crosses hwy 64 in Field, near the intersection of D trail and WN 404.

It's an old railway bed and by looking at the satellite image on the OFSC map there talking about removing the old railway bridge that crosses hwy 64.

I found the spot where the bridge is on the OFSC map but find it odd that the village isn't marked as Field on the map and the only identification on that area is the Post office which is called the Lavigne Post Office on the map at Field.

I found the spot where the bridge is on the OFSC map but find it odd that the village isn't marked as Field on the map and the only identification on that area is the Post office which is called the Lavigne Post Office on the map at Field.

You will find the same type of missing labels if you look for Whitney.  In the case of Whitney, the closest town label is for Airy, just west of Whitney.

However, this issue is not related strictly to the IAFG, but rather a flaw in google maps, which is the base map to the IAFG.

Field isn't very big !!!

Field isn't very big !!!

Big enough to be shown on an Ontario road map. Something clubs are asked to do yearly I believe is to make corrections and changes for use on the map.

I wonder if there is some road work proposed at that section.  The bridge I believe, if I remember correctly, is on a corner.  If you are coming in hwy 64 from the north it turns to a 60 or 50km zone and then theres the sharp curve at the bridge turning into town.  Its a blind corner in a sense that if you meet a tractor trailer on that corner it kind of startles you, especially if they are moving along.  At that exact point there is also the other hwy heading toward River Valley.  Perhaps thats why they want to remove the bridge and widen that area some.  

The bridge over 64 is bypassable, however the bridge over the Veve river is not.

Both are old railway bridges.

Yes, not all that many years ago there was a trail half way between River Valley and Field that went towards Muskosung Lake and entered the town of field from the west side.  The trail was discontinued, likely do to a landowner issue back then, but was a great trail and took you right to the rail bed behind the store in Field.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Brian.

Looks like one of those pre-cast concrete bridges would span that. 

In the 'big picture' (snowmobiling as the economic engine that could) - you'd think this would be a priority.

I fixed the link for you, Brian.

From Google Earth:

post-22651-0-19399800-1473958944_thumb.jpg

Looks like we just need a small ramp on each side and a bit of throttle!

• 2 weeks later...

Is the highway really busy enough to need this?

I was thinking the same thing Bill. It's not Hwy 11 or 17 we're talking about here. Maybe someone messed up the traffic count studies?

• 1 month later...

Just seen on the MCTV news that this bridge will remain open for the trail and should stay for years to come. Good news for the system and local club. :cheers:

Archived