Phazer Exhaust

signfan

So pulled the wife's sled out today and was less than impressed to find that mice have made it their home. Tore the entire sled apart and found one nest under the motor (no big deal). Second issue I found is when the sled is running you smell the nest. After pulling the air box and now the entire exhaust system I have it narrowed down that the f($!,.:'s have a nest inside the muffler. It's a sealed unit, so I'm not seeing how I can clean it. Any ideas? If I have to get a new muffler what are my options? It's the wife's sled so looking to stay factory, or even make it quieter (without sacrificing performance) if I could. Any ideas? Looked at MBRP 'S site and they have one can available that I know will be louder.

Was it stored in a garage? I am finding lots of mice action this summer. I keep them out of buildings, with bait stations inside and out. Real cheap solution.

Elevate the rear of sled. Take a long coat Hager that is straight put put a small hook it the end. Pull out the nest parts. Also check under the twin pipe heat shield. The mice like that area also

If the muffler is reasonably easy to remove...take it off and throw it on a campfire!

Elevate the rear of sled. Take a long coat Hager that is straight put put a small hook it the end. Pull out the nest parts. Also check under the twin pipe heat shield. The mice like that area also

Can get at the nest. It's further in around a couple corners. Thanks for the thought though.

I blocked off the exhaust on my Apex with steel wool.

Mousies pulled it out and set up house.

The nest fired out of the exhaust pretty quickly when I sparked the sled up and opened the throttle.

How's she like the Phazer? Been thinking of one for a 2nd machine. I only got to ride one on the Power Tour last year on a group ride.

Not much of a test really, I don't think we got the sleds up to planning speed.

It's served its purpose for the money we had to spend at the time (under 4K for a used one). She was getting headaches from the two stroke we had before. It's solved that issue. It also has a narrower seat which she likes. I'd like it to be quieter and to handle better. Next sled I'll get her would be a 900 ACE ski-doo. Dislikes of the Phazer would be as follows

1. Wouldn't steer on pavement. Working on getting proper carbides to fix this. Tried straight carbides last winter and the rear end got really loose. Gonna try new aggressive Dooley runners this season

2. Had the thing not start for us on several trips. Once we bought the Yamaha relay upgrade this issue went away

3. Overheated regularly last year (poor conditions). Gonna put the fan upgrade kit on it

4. Running boards ice up. Tried filling the openings under the tunnel. Filled the back hole and it got better. Now that the exhaust is off it gonna do the other hole to hopefully end this issue.

5. Reverse is a pain in the a$). Probably my biggest complaint. Will upgrade the belt and hopefully it helps.

6. On cold days there isn't enough wind protection. It can be really cold to ride.

All in all there has been no major issues. Just stupid things that Yamaha should have gotten right . I think if you buy a newer Phazer it would be fine (There have been upgrades made on newer models to solve each issue). But it will never be an excellent handling sled. My mother has a 600 ace grand touring and it works much better with no issues. Only issue is when you get the 600 ACE on a lake there isn't enough top end. That's why I figured the 900 ace would be perfect for my wife's next sled (Similar 4-stroke reliability with much less exhaust noise and good handling). I'm gonna buy one for myself too. They just seem like a great design for trail riders. Props to Yamaha for getting the Phazer to market first, but without major changes I wouldn't buy another one.

years ago i used moth balls in my shed. The mice loved them especially the package. Now I use bate stations or plates full of pellets.

To keep the mice away, go to the Bulk Store and buy pure Spearmint oil. Put a few drops on cotton balls and place them in 2-3 places on the sled. Mice won't go near it + it smells better than moth balls. Has to be the pure oil NOT extract. Works great for boats / cars / RV's.

years ago i used moth balls in my shed. The mice loved them especially the package.

LOL

*Peppermint...

Not trying to be "that guy", just trying to save you some funny looks at the health food store.

*Peppermint...

Not trying to be "that guy", just trying to save you some funny looks at the health food store.

We did try peppermint once but it didn't work, only the pure Spearmint oil works.

We use this on the RV and it works great. No rodents of any kind. I'm thinking of putting down a tarp under the sleds and spraying a bit of this around the perimeter.

http://www.mouse-free.com/about-our-mouse-repellent/

Bounce sheets work but it seems like only the Bounce ones work. The generic sheets apparently don't work.

We used bounce sheets all over the place and still had a couple of mice last winter but very few it seems. It could have been relative to the mild winter we had and possibly the rodents being more active than usual. None the year before. If you have 110 power year round there are sonic units that plug into a regular outlet and work very well. I have used them in my garage for years and don't get any mice even with bags of grass seed as temptation.

The drawback with moth balls is that the odour can linger for a VERY long time when you pull the toys out to use.

Archived