Summer Project - Trailer Mats

02Sled

I know it's summer and it's going to be HOT by the end of the week but summer is also a good time for a sled related diversion. Do you need track mats for your trailer? I stopped into the TSC store today and as I walked in picked up the current flyer. They have 4 ft X 6 ft X 3/4 in stall mats on sale for $39.99. They are real easy to cut with either a skill saw or using a straight edge and a few passes of an exacto knife. I have used them on my current trailer and the two before that. I used two stall mats on my current trailer and there was enough to do the ramp with for two sleds without any splices and in the bed of the trailer to within about two ft of the nose of the trailer. There was even a bit left over to do the flip down flap at the end of the ramp where it hits the snow.

Great chance to tell your neighbours you're working on your sled trailer during the dog days of summer.

I picked mine up at tsc a while ago, I also paid the sale price. Good deal forsure! I got ski guides and track mats installed, just need to install tie downs for the rear of the sleds...not sure what I'll use yet.

Anyone know a cheaper spot to get thick rubber Matts. Tsc seems expense. I could use a few pallets of the Matts?

I picked mine up at tsc a while ago, I also paid the sale price. Good deal forsure! I got ski guides and track mats installed, just need to install tie downs for the rear of the sleds...not sure what I'll use yet.

I believe it is the same company that makes the Superclamps also have a metal tie down ring that works well for the rear of the sled. It goes into the C channel that you find in most of the trailers today and runs down the middle of where each sled sits. I picked up a pair of the rings from WildBill last year and they work well. I insert them into the C channel and snug them in place with a couple of turns and then a wratchet strap from the ring to the back of the sled. A couple of turns in the opposite direction and they are easily removed.

Unfortunately my enclosed doesn't have C channel running right to the back, only about 3' from the front for the ski bar. I'm thinking a couple cheap O ring tie downs should do the trick...man I hope this winter will be a good one!

Unfortunately my enclosed doesn't have C channel running right to the back, only about 3' from the front for the ski bar. I'm thinking a couple cheap O ring tie downs should do the trick...man I hope this winter will be a good one!

It has to be... just think about it. Negligible precipitation (snow) this past winter and virtually no precipitation this summer. Last winter the lakes were much warmer than usual, never really getting cold. This summer they started warm and are now much warmer than usual. The Lake Huron / Georgian Bay snow machine will be primed and ready. Sooner or later it catches up with us and this winter will be it. Be prepared to get dumped on.

I think your probably right 02, it makes sense anyways...I've heard a few other guys saying it'll be really cold and and lots of snow, so hopefully that's the way it plays out!

I think your probably right 02, it makes sense anyways...I've heard a few other guys saying it'll be really cold and and lots of snow, so hopefully that's the way it plays out!

2012 was a hot dry year too and trails never opened in southern Ontario that winter D5 and D9. I could wear shorts into early December. People were still boating and riding jet ski's. Hopefully this fall heat don't hang around that long. 2013 and 2014 was killer year and longest season in years, so if not this winter next year will be amazing.

The mats are on sale at TSC this week.  Good luck finding stock.

BP

The only thing I dont like about those mats is the weight they add to the trailer.  They weigh 55lbs a piece.  

You'll never notice the extra 55!

You'll never notice the extra 55!

It can really reduce your load capacity on a single axle trailer. I used the spray on rino lining on mine. Wasn't cheap, but Is really durable. Not much wear after 5 years and sand in the mix gives good grip. I was told it can only be done to brand new trailers, because once the floor gets used, it might not adhere properly.

My trailer is a single axle hybrid and with the two 4 stroke sleds, the 55 lb. trailer mats and spare tire I chose to keep the broom in the back of the truck to cut down on weight in the trailer. Just kidding. I don't have any problems with that bit of weight from the mats. In the grand scheme of things it's nothing. My wife goes away for a few days and her luggage weighs more than that.

My trailer is a single axle hybrid and with the two 4 stroke sleds, the 55 lb. trailer mats and spare tire I chose to keep the broom in the back of the truck to cut down on weight in the trailer.

Just kidding. I don't have any problems with that

bit of weight from the mats. In the grand

scheme of things it's nothing. My wife goes away for a few days and her luggage weighs

more than that.

My trailer Is a single axle aluminum 3500 Ibs. It has a carrying capacity of 2000 Ibs. Factor in 100 Ibs for my spray in liner, spare tire that Is about 140 Ibs less. Put in 2 sleds, about 1200 Ibs if they have snow in and ice on them about 1350 Ibs.. I have 500 Ibs left. Then I carry about 100 pounds of tools and gear for a few people, have about 300 pounds left. If I had heavy 4 stroke sleds, I would be pushing limit of the trailer.

You can always buy a bigger trailer for those ultra heavy 4 strokes you seem to hate....

Maybe he should try it before he knocks it!

Soo cannot wait for all the upcoming new found knowledge of 1200's....

Open house at your house soon? I want to see your new iron. I will bring some chicken? Lol

Chicken and ski doos do go together.....

Funny that!

It sure does...Hurry up and buy a new sled..

I want to see what you are getting before I come home with any new plastic lol.

Archived