Break Through the Ice - Break into a Cabin

Canuck

I was talking to a friend today, who mentioned a lake - to which I said "only see it in the winter, when I snowmobile by".

He said "oh, you're one of those".

Didn't like the tone, so I asked what's up? He mentioned that twice, he's shown up to his cottage in the spring to find cash on the table and a note "sorry - went thru the ice in the narrows fronting your cottage and needed heat, clothes, etc." Both times the $$$ left on counter covered the damage.

Preaching to the converted here, but it made me shake my head. Stay on the stake line. Don't get wet.

All too often I hear people say, there's sled tracks going that way so it must be safe. Those tracks could have been from an earlier much colder day with a 120 lb rider on a 400 lb sled doing  90 kph. Now take someone my size, much more than 120 lb on a much heavier 4 stroke sled going 60 kph on a warmer day and roll the dice whether I make it through or not.

If I don't know I don't go. I stick to the stake lines.

All too often I hear people say, there's sled tracks going that way so it must be safe. Those tracks could have been from an earlier much colder day with a 120 lb rider on a 400 lb sled doing 90 kph. Now take someone my size, much more than 120 lb on a much heavier 4 stroke sled going 60 kph on a warmer day and roll the dice whether I make it through or not.

If I don't know I don't go. I stick to the stake lines.

X2

Archived