Yamaha Motor Co. moving headquarters to Toronto

Blake G

Given that Yamaha already has an office just off the 404 it would make sense to leverage that presence rather than Barrie.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Yammi/Cat deal is still a finite short term arrangement and not forever. Maybe Yamaha is looking at the lower Cdn dollar situation with an aim to bring sled manufacturing jobs to the GTA area ?

Some more information from guys on the Totally Yamaha Forum.  This photo was taken buy a guy who put a broken Viper idler gear in a vise and then used a cold chisel and hammer to break off a few teeth.  This was done to see how brittle or ductile the gear was.  The teeth broke off very easy and had a porous look to the internal metal.  This indicates to me that this gear is a powdered metal gear.  This process is filling a mold with special metal powder, heating it and applying pressure in a press.  Little if any machining is needed depending on the quality of the mold.  Too bad the photo is so small and so little resolution..................................

.............................One more thing.  If you stop this engine with the kill switch like 2-stroker boys like to do, and leave the key on, the tail light stays on.  When you go to start it buy releasing the kill switch and just crank it, it won't start.  There is no spark.  You can probably crank all day.  Turn the key off, wait for the instruments to fade out, turn on the key and crank and it starts up normal.  Leave the kill switch alone.  I don't have one in my car so I don't use it on my sled either.

BP

I was getting a little peeved at people over the winter who were using the forum for asking a lot of questions regards trail conditions, maintenance, etc. and not giving back anything in return, so I really like the posts such as the one you have here BP. If you have the  time, maybe put it in the technical section so others can find it on a search? Not interested in Yamaha myself - one hernia operation is enough thank you - but judging by the response in this thread, a lot of people would appreciate it. Have a nice day!

• 7 months later...

That was a nice story on Supertrax TV this morning over the yamaha snowmobile division moving to Toronto.

Glad Canada gained instead of losing for a change.

2 hours ago, Sledguy74 said:

That was a nice story on Supertrax TV this morning over the yamaha snowmobile division moving to Toronto.

Glad Canada gained instead of losing for a change.

wait until they get the hydro bill

I know it is off the original posted topic but I do find this issue with failing starters on 2014/15 Viper/7000 is pretty ironic. Ironic because the main reason I bought a Cat 7000 was to get the 'worry free' 1049 Yami motor. I discounted the forum talk of starter problems (after all, its a Yami) until about a month ago when mine let go. Cost $1500 in parts, buying them on the cheap!!!

As BP mentioned above, I recommend that anyone with this sled take the right side engine cover off when doing preseason maintenance and inspect/replace that $80 idler gear. This is really easy to do and will allow you to take a pass on saying a prayer every time you start the sled. 

1 minute ago, coolbane said:

I know it is off the original posted topic but I do find this issue with failing starters on 2014/15 Viper/7000 is pretty ironic. Ironic because the main reason I bought a Cat 7000 was to get the 'worry free' 1049 Yami motor. I discounted the forum talk of starter problems (after all, its a Yami) until about a month ago when mine let go. Cost $1500 in parts, buying them on the cheap!!!

As BP mentioned above, I recommend that anyone with this sled take the right side engine cover off when doing preseason maintenance and inspect/replace that $80 idler gear. This is really easy to do and will allow you to take a pass on saying a prayer every time you start the sled. 

the oldsuzys never had any issues. just sayin 

11 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

I'm sure it's cheap compared to Japan electric prices. 

But I agree with your point.

45 minutes ago, coolbane said:

The starter problems on the viper is caused with the cat wiring not the Yamaha motor it self.

43 minutes ago, Fabio said:

The starter problems on the viper is caused with the cat wiring not the Yamaha motor it self.

LOL. One funny aspect of this Yami starter problem is that it seems all the Yami guys blame Cat for the problem and all the Cat guys blame Yami, without exception.

Funny how the Cat wiring works fine for all the other engines that Cat uses and the only issue is with the Yamaha. Obviously its a Cat issue.

Lol it's is funny and also the truth, Yamaha has its problems and if it was a Yamaha problem I would be the first to say it,  but the starter one can't be blamed totally on them... 

Besides the viper does any other Yamaha sled have any starter kickback issues?

does the sidewinder with Yamaha electronics have starter kickback issues?

does any of the 1049cc since way back in 08 have any starter kickback issues?

its been proven it's 100% a cat issue...

1 hour ago, Wildbill said:

I thought Kathleen Wynne was going to lower the hydro bill or give a 1% rebate lol

My sled used to have the kickback, but since the new reflash it doesn't kickback or "roll backwards" anymore. Ecu is the problem. Although I'm sure the gear being made inexpensively doesn't help much either. So when you get a cheap gear and an engine rolling backwards upon startup...yup, she gona break!

12 hours ago, Fabio said:

Lol it's is funny and also the truth, Yamaha has its problems and if it was a Yamaha problem I would be the first to say it,  but the starter one can't be blamed totally on them... 

Wrong.

More Yamaha's have had the issue then cats they have there own separate ECU's that is why the re-flashes came at different times for each units.

Back to TY. 

11 minutes ago, reevester said:

Wrong.

More Yamaha's have had the issue then cats they have there own separate ECU's that is why the re-flashes came at different times for each units.

Back to TY. 

The Suzy powered cats never had this issue . 

2 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

The Suzy powered cats never had this issue . 

Oh I know I had 2 T660 Turbos with 16K miles on them. 

I am so happy to have stirred up so much $hit with my post of pictures of carnage.  Looks like it's actually making people think of what is going on inside this so called "arguable the best 4-stoke engine" made.  Those are not my words but the works of the Lesters.  Funny how they never say a peep of the problems with these sled, just keep right on promoting them.  I have never seen any "Ask Ralf" questions on this topic in SnowTech either.  I think they stopped that column so they did not have to deal with talking about major problems.  Must be the potential loss of advertising dollars that has the Cat got their tongue.

BP

16 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

I am so happy to have stirred up so much $hit with my post of pictures of carnage.  Looks like it's actually making people think of what is going on inside this so called "arguable the best 4-stoke engine" made.  Those are not my words but the works of the Lesters.  Funny how they never say a peep of the problems with these sled, just keep right on promoting them.  I have never seen any "Ask Ralf" questions on this topic in SnowTech either.  I think they stopped that column so they did not have to deal with talking about major problems.  Must be the potential loss of advertising dollars that has the Cat got their tongue.

BP

I don't understand why you own one if there such POS. I get you like tinkering and making things better, but I just can't be bothered. 

Reevester,

I own one because of carefully weighing what I wanted in a sled.

1.)  Yamaha engine that everyone says is the best.  Who am I to argue with that ?  Wanted to try a 4-stroke.

2.)  Front exhaust outlet so there can actually be rear bags mounted low on the tunnel.

3.)  Good to best riding position.  Remember I was coming off a 2001 T-Cat.

4.)  Good dealer to work with that I have used for years.

5.)  Wrenched on Cats since I was a teenager.  I know them.

So now I have over $15,000 invested in the sled, and accessories, now what?  Take a bigger loss ?  My only hope is to overcome the problem with the help of Yamaha and Cat stepping up to fix it.  I have the latest flash and it takes two tries every time when cold, long crank when hot.  I don't think they are there yet.

On sober second thought, a better choice would have been a 6000 in the same sled.  Too late now.  More inclined to sell or part out everything and watch TV all winter.  No snow anyway.

BP

3 hours ago, Baylaker said:

My sled used to have the kickback, but since the new reflash it doesn't kickback or "roll backwards" anymore. Ecu is the problem. Although I'm sure the gear being made inexpensively doesn't help much either. So when you get a cheap gear and an engine rolling backwards upon startup...yup, she gona break!

Baylaker just wondering who's Ecu is in your sled, Cat or Yamaha?

Gotta love how you say something about a manufacturer and the sky breaks loose...

32 minutes ago, Fabio said:

Gotta love how you say something about a manufacturer and the sky breaks loose...

Maybe provide some facts or just educate yourself before saying "its 100% cats issue" 

Denso in Japan is who makes the mapping/ ECU fwiw. 

16 hours ago, Fabio said:

well when my starter took a crap on my 07 apex, i was charged by a dealer 1285 bucks for a used starter installed. i had ask for an oil change and thought that was a part of the price. 

when i went to pick the sled and asked if it was done. the owner said no but he did top it up.

never again will my sled go back to the crook who jammed me that kinda money for a used starter installed

On February 26, 2017 at 0:44 PM, Fabio said:

It's cat electronics is it not?

I was told by many people that this was an engine supply agreement between cat & yamaha. Yamaha supplies the engine and clutching (which I think is the only thing truly Yamaha on these sleds) and cat was supposed to make their electronics work with the engine...that's what I have been told.

Archived