GoFundMe - New Groomer Fund

Claire Voyant

While everyone is sitting around their campfires this summer, debating the finer points of More On The Snow and Trail Patrol, the Northern Corridor du Nord has launched a GoFundMe campaign to purchase a new groomer for the Polar Bear Riders in Cochrane.

An innovative idea and certainly worth a try.

I couldn't get the link to post here, but you can search the GoFundMe website, using "New Groomer Fund".

While everyone is sitting around their campfires this summer, debating the finer points of More On The Snow and Trail Patrol, the Northern Corridor du Nord has launched a GoFundMe campaign to purchase a new groomer for the Polar Bear Riders in Cochrane.

An innovative idea and certainly worth a try.

I couldn't get the link to post here, but you can search the GoFundMe website, using "New Groomer Fund".

Here you go Claire.

https://www.gofundme.com/2bjzsa4

I hope they make a point of sending the link and a letter to the local Chamber of Commerce and business associations. The tourist related businesses get a whole 4th season due to snowmobilers up there.

I couldn't agree more. Hopefully the powers-that-be in the District will have the same opinion.

I think this is a great idea! Does go fund me take a percentage?

Gofundme takes 5% off the top. If you donate via visa or another credit card, the credit card company will take approximately 3% also. If you donate 100 bucks, the Cochrane club will get about 92.

Gofundme takes 5% off the top. If you donate via visa or another credit card, the credit card company will take approximately 3% also. If you donate 100 bucks, the Cochrane club will get about 92.

Thanks, Blake. Hopefully those $92 will add up....

Interesting idea, but is this actually allowed under OFSC rules? I'm not much on the interworkings of the organization and it's bylaws over clubs. But the way others here have made it sound in other topics, the OFSC controls who and where new equipment goes. Hate to see this club do all this work only to have the bureaucracy of the system take it away from them.

Interesting idea, but is this actually allowed under OFSC rules? I'm not much on the interworkings of the organization and it's bylaws over clubs. But the way others here have made it sound in other topics, the OFSC controls who and where new equipment goes. Hate to see this club do all this work only to have the bureaucracy of the system take it away from them.

no different than a cookie jar at a dealer or clubhouse or fundraisers BBQ, raffles etc

This way no one really has to do much ground work or chasing ticket sellers all over

Great idea IMO

Machines bought with permit money belong to the OFS this machine should not . It should belong to the club. 

If any club organizes their own fundraiser, the money they raise should be spent on what they want.PERIOD. If polar bear riders raise enough money for a groomer, then it is their groomer. In no way should the ofsc get involved with a clubs desire to go above and beyond permit dollars to better the club, it's trails etc. There's totally nothing wrong with it. All clubs can do the same thing.

Good to hear, wasn't sure that's why I asked.

Machines bought with permit money belong to the OFS this machine should not . It should belong to the club.

I read something were if the club bought thier own unit, ofsc wouldn't fund them for fuel, Maintaince etc, since it isn't part of the ofsc fleet?

I read something were if the club bought thier own unit, ofsc wouldn't fund them for fuel, Maintaince etc, since it isn't part of the ofsc fleet?

I cannot even imagine where you heard that 

I cannot even imagine where you heard that 

I can imagine LOL

Clubs get nothing from OFSC for the small groomers towed by snowmobiles. That type of grooming has to be covered by club fundraising or donations.

So how come fix they not get a new groomer last year!

You mad because the club is actually fundraising to get another groomer?

So how come fix they not get a new groomer last year!

Because there was only one new groomer coming to the district last year, and it went to the club that needed it the most, based on the age of their previous groomer and the amount of trails. (In other words, the district PRIORITIZED, fairly, where the new groomer was to go). If you've rode in our district, you know that Cochrane and Smooth Rock Falls are not the only clubs that can provide a superior riding experience.

Due to the popularity of the Cochrane trails, the extraordinary amount of traffic, the goodwill generated by their Facebook page, and their club President's desire, willingness and ambition to GIVE YOU GUYS what you want, he wondered if there wasn't another way to get a new groomer. Et voila!  They are willing to try something different. There are no guarantees that they'll raise the money by next winter, but at least they are trying something and not just sitting around crying the blues about why the OFSC won't just give them a new groomer. It would be nice if Cochrane got all the permit revenues from all the sleds that tear up their trails, but that's not the case.

As far as I know there's going to be only one groomer replacement plan on the table at AGM. If MOTS doesn't fly at AGM, what then?

If MOTS doesn't fly at AGM, what then?

Back to box springs and alpines?

We can't keep bending over for a $180 permit.....

Back to box springs and alpines?

We can't keep bending over for a $180 permit.....

I don't claim to have all the answers, but I agree that a $180 permit is just not cutting it anymore. I understood it was supposed to get more sleds back on the trails, give the clubs more members, more potential volunteers, etc. but it just ain't cutting it.

Like most other "sports" it's becoming a past time for those of a certain income bracket...of which I am not a part of. I ride because I can afford a $180 permit; I don't need a truck and trailer to access the best trails anywhere. I volunteered because I (foolishly) believed that clubs needed my help to sustain the trails that I love to ride.

Now it's about tourism. So let the tourists with the deep pockets pay. I'm in favour of a $350 (or higher) permit.

I think raising permit fees to $200. would work, but you don't have to be clairvoyant to see that raising the fees to $350. would destroy the sport within one season. Winter tourism is very fragile in Ontario as it is...

Archived