Camp Conewango to Reopen in the Winter for Snowmobilers

bbakernbay

This afternoon 7 representatives from the North Bay Snowmobilers Club, Bonfield Snowmobile Club and the Mattawa Area Snowmobile Club met with the new Owners of Camp Conewango, Wendy Morley and Chris Winterburn.

Wendy and Chris have only been the new proprietors of Camp Conewango for 3 weeks but they have already produced a new website which highlights their commitment to operating Camp Conewango as a primary destination for ATVers, Snowmobilers, Hunting and Fishing as well as Camping.

They are in the final process of TSSA approval for selling gasoline and have undertaken the regulated improvements necessary. Their intention is to sell premium fuel during the winter season.

All 3 Clubs expressed a strong desire for the BF201 trail to be re-routed back onto Camp Conewango property in order to eliminate running on Black Bay Road as well as having the snowmobile traffic pass directly by the restaurant and fuel tank. The new Owners are considering this request and hopefully will advise of their decision prior to the District 11 NNTA Trail Map being published in August. Camp Conewango intends to advertise on the OFSC District 11 Trail Map.

Their 2 cottages will be available for year around rental so contact them to book your stay.

Email is info@campconewango.com and their website is www.campconewango.com

The restaurant will be open year around and the days and times will be posted by season. They intend on offering a limited menu that will appeal to trail riders along with advertised specials. Customer Service will be a hallmark of the new Owners.

The new Owners are also considering an expansion of their boat docks to accommodate both short and long term users on Talon Lake.

Camp Conewango's success is vitally important to the expanding trail experiences for both ATVers using the amazing VMUTS trail system and Snowmobilers using our OFSC trails. The new Explorers Snow Tour passes close by with featured nearby stops at The Mica Mine and The Redbridge Lookout.

NBSC, BSC and MASC will be doing everything practical to ensure everyone knows that Camp Conewango is back and wants to prove to ATVers and Snowmobilers that they are an important destination on their travels.

There have been too many trail dependent businesses that have closed in the past 5 years and this is an opportunity for all of us to patronize a new business that caters to trail riders.

Good for them. I hope they get the support to make it work.

Ninth Rider

I am moving to Kitchener in the next few months, maybe we can say hello at the Wilmot Sports Complex as my 2 grandkids in New Hamburg and Baden play hockey at that fantastic complex.

Brian

Great news, Brian!!!

Brian, I'll update the database & contact the new owners. Can you PM in a couple of weeks, to remind me (The next or so is a bit hectic for me)?

Good news for the area & the riders on the 3 clubs' trails.

Great news, especially the fuel. Shortage around bonfield area.

Yes fuel is a major problem since gas station burned down across from Dinner Bell.

Lots of traffic on A112A between Mattawa - Bonfield and North Bay so I am hoping they can attract customers year around.

Many people from North Bay used to go out there after work for supper when Doug and Cindy Lynett were running CC.

ATVers using VMUTS trails should be particularly happy to have this reopened.

I truly hope they do very well because the business climate seems to be announcing doom and gloom in many areas.They must have a lot more determination than I do just to put up with the TSSA.I hope that determination helps them to be successful.

Looking forward to visiting them, filling up with fuel and partaking in their restaurant offerings.

This is great news.

__

PS - Brian, that was a wonderful gathering you held at the Portage last winter. You were interviewed by a lovely reporter. In framing the photo, the song from Disney's "Beauty and the Beast" popped into my head. Kidding! Gonna miss you up north. Thanks for the trail suggestions over the years.

post-19774-0-17757000-1464812970_thumb.jpg

Have been there twice and stayed in the bigger cabin on atv trips was a great place and have always wanted to go back in the winter. Great news!

That's awesome news Brian.  We use to go there a few years back when it was open for gas and food.  Nice place and a perfect spot IMO.

Thanks again buddy for all your help over the years.  You were a HUGE ASSET to the club, businesses and all of us sledders.  Without you I probably wouldn't have met so many fabulous people in and around North Bay, Mattawa and Bonfield.  We have so many pictures, videos and memories of your area.   You will be MISSED!!!  Enjoy your time with your family and grand kids.  Cherish the moments.   I hope they realize how lucky they are to have you in their life.

THANKS!!!  Dee & Terry

• 1 month later...

The new Owners of Camp Conewango, Wendy Morley and Chris Winterburn, met with 3 representatives each from both the Bonfield and North Bay Snowmobile Clubs this afternoon.

Camp Conewango has agreed to return the BF201 trail to their property rather than the Black Bay Road route used over the past few years. The new route will also utilize their property on the old trail north of the buildings thereby eliminating most of the road running on Songis Road.

Camp Conewango is committed to serve both the ATV and Snowmobilers with top notch service including dining room as well as premium fuel throughout the winter.

Their days and hours of operation will be publicized as the winter snowmobiling season begins.

Their dining room has been refurbished and they are now serving meals on a Thursday to Sunday basis. Go to www.campconewango.com to view their menus and hours of operation. They have also installed a fire burning pizza oven which has been well received by their campers, neighbours and Lake Talon residents.

This is tremendously good news for Snowmobilers and ATVers. Please show your support by patronizing Camp Conewango while respecting their private property and their guests.

We mentioned that speed of service was an issue previously.

We have over 7,500 Views of my post on our Facebook page in less than 24 hours, obviously the interest is there, even in 30C weather.

I expect to see a major turnaround with new owners.

BSC did a new GPS track yesterday.

post-21132-0-00113100-1470237857_thumb.png

It will be a great spot to stop for sure, especially coming from the south, can by pass north bay for fuel and fill up there. Really enjoyed the lake run thru that area in the past.

I did the Lake Talon run yesterday up to Camp Conewango and also on Sunday.

Here is my view of Talon from my cottage.

See you soon at Wilmot Arena where my grandkids play hockey.attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Beautiful view!

Archived