OVR/CPR Rail Trail

revrnd

Great news up in Dist' 6:

http://www.thedailyobserver.ca/2016/04/28/renfrew-county-signs-historic-rail-trail-deal

I wonder how this will affect the current route of TOP A?

Great news up in Dist' 6:

http://www.thedailyobserver.ca/2016/04/28/renfrew-county-signs-historic-rail-trail-deal

I wonder how this will affect the current route of TOP A?

Wow... what a great situation. 300 km of one continuous smooth trail. Bodes well for the future. It will be great for the towns and businesses along the rail line.

Fantastic news.

Way to go!

Thanks to all with the foresight map out this strategy.

Way to go!

Thanks to all with the foresight map out this strategy.

I guess they learned the lesson from when the CN line between Whitney & Renfrew was decommissioned. Some of the townships turned the railbed over to the adjoining landowners resulting in tenuous routing.

And then some dick head politician will say not for use by motorized vehicles 

Edited by soupkids

And then some dick head politician will say not for use by motorized vehicles

That is true, hopefully people respect it.

That is true, hopefully people respect it.

Oh I'm shure the tree huggers and the nature people will get all up in arms about it and it will get shut down to sleds and ATV's

may not happens this year but it will.

I was checking the railbed out when I was camping @ Driftwood Prov' Park last summer. The "surface" is still the ballast that was under the ties. Not conducive to cycling unless you're riding a fat bike. I imagine the tourism assoc' has the info to support the motorized use of the route. For the most part the line runs thru uninhabited territory.

Good news, even if you don't like rail trails.. More trails = more trails!

Wonder what they'll do about some of those bridges?

I imagine they'll need railings and decking.

post-19781-0-66765300-1462121352_thumb.jpg

The railway bridge over Bissett Creek, the highway arrived later ;-)

I was checking the railbed out when I was camping @ Driftwood Prov' Park last summer. The "surface" is still the ballast that was under the ties. Not conducive to cycling unless you're riding a fat bike. I imagine the tourism assoc' has the info to support the motorized use of the route. For the most part the line runs thru uninhabited territory.

Not conducive to skis either. Hard and sharp.

I'm not sure this will create more trails Mike, it will just replace some, at least in my area.  For example 2 different trails in our clubs trail system make a large loop. The A trail is one and a local trail is the other but both have different trails feeding into them so both are used quite heavily. Now the old rail-bed divides these trails almost down the middle. I can see replacing both of these trails with just the rail-bed for the most part if the club can still get the feeder trails to it.

Hmmmmm....

I prefer trails with turns. I can see the rail lines being OK for traversing an area in a hurry, and with good visibility.

I prefer to ride (when I can!)up in the Missing Link area. Here's hoping the rail trail there will be an addition, not a substitution.

• Like 1

Not conducive to skis either. Hard and sharp.

My son uses the rail-bed to get to work on his dirt bike in the summer. We live spitting distance to it and I can tell you tires don't last too long riding on that stuff. The odd spike still gets turned up and punctures the tire. We have picked up spikes on the 3 kms he uses for the last 3 years, I don't think there is an end to 'em. Will not be much good as a recreational trail in the off season unless the slag is removed.

Hmmmmm....

I prefer trails with turns. I can see the rail lines being OK for traversing an area in a hurry, and with good visibility.

I prefer to ride (when I can!)up in the Missing Link area. Here's hoping the rail trail there will be an addition, not a substitution.

Have to wait and see I guess. With the highway, railway and A tail all so close together in that corridor I would suspect the trail would move on to the rail-bed. Just my 2 cents. 

My son uses the rail-bed to get to work on his dirt bike in the summer. We live spitting distance to it and I can tell you tires don't last too long riding on that stuff. The odd spike still gets turned up and punctures the tire. We have picked up spikes on the 3 kms he uses for the last 3 years, I don't think there is an end to 'em. Will not be much good as a recreational trail in the off season unless the slag is removed.

Other than in areas where they expect a lot of foot traffic (near villages & towns) along the route, I can't see them adding a better surface (limestone chips) for users. 

I haven't traveled along the former CN railbed between North Bay & Capreol in the summer, so can anyone say what the surface is like for ATV travel? It was a mainline too, so it would've been ballasted to the same standards as this line. Most of the railbeds we are familiar w/ in Ontario were branchlines, so their standards wouldn't have been maintained as regularly. 

The tracks from Trenton to Wallace (north of Lake St. Peter) that now is the Hastings Heritage Trail were lifted in the 80s. Riding along in the Ranger I sometimes wonder if this route ever had been ballasted. There doesn't appear to be any gravel & what is visible could almost pass as "pit run".

Found this on the Ottawa valley rail trail fb page.

------------------'''

The full trail (formerly Chalk River Subdivision) from Smiths Falls to Mattawa is 296km, and the Lanark County portion is 49km in length and 400 acres of property, has 9 bridges and 47 road crossings, and will travel through Montague, Carleton Place and Mississippi Mills. The bridges have all been inspected by the County. A very preliminary estimate of upgrade the rail bed to stonedust trail is $20,000 per km, so beyond the purchase costs, the conversion cost will be about 1.5 million and annual costs about $75,000

Thanks for the update Yukon, I'll have to 'like' that page. I hope the Atv & UTV users don't eff that up? This spring I've already seen where quads have roosted a trail that was done last fall w/ crushed stone that was bigger than railway ballast. Azzhats!

No trouble.

From what I recall from conversations at past OFSC conventions this railbed has been on the radar for the last 6 or so years. This is huge for Snowmobiling.

This will no doubt be a multi use trail for powersports, but also likely open to horse back riding , hiking etc etc. With the majority of $$$$ coming from powersports and tourism...

I know that Mattawa and Pembroke areas have good relations with atv and snowmobile clubs working together...

296kms of trail not on private land is a huge win.....

• Like 2

I just looked at the " Ottawa Valley Rail Trail" FB page. They appear to be on the non-motorized side. Wait and see I guess. :unsure:

Yup. Bikes and hikers for ~1.5k outside of the population centers... Then..... Crickets.

Some folks prefer non-motorized use only....

http://millstonenews.com/2016/05/cpr-line-to-become-trail-usage-debate-begins.html

Edited by Blake G

I just looked at the " Ottawa Valley Rail Trail" FB page. They appear to be on the non-motorized side. Wait and see I guess. :unsure:

Ottawa is extremely against motorized vehicles in down town core. I was once almost run over by a commuting cyclist. There cycling network Is massive though. Hopefully they will allow atv's and sleds access.