G9x scala rider headsets

Baylaker

Not sure if this has been brought up or not, but

I'm just wondering if anybody has used or owns a pair of G9x scala rider headsets. My buddies and I are thinking about buying these for next season. Anybody have any experience with these or any other different brands? Thanks guys!

Can't help with the Scala's but have read good reviews about them.

We've been using Sena headsets for a number of years and we're very happy with them. Battery life is good and range is acceptable. No performance issues to speak of.

That's ok, I'll take any reviews on any brand right now. Won't be buying until fall so lots of time for research. Thanks for the reply!

I have a set a bought for me and my son, have not used them yet. Lol

You have the G9x?

G something bought them two years ago, top of the line. If they were avail then, then likely.

I have the G4

Do the Scala use bluetooth to communicate or a radio frequency?

I believe it's Bluetooth

Probably same as the Sena's. Bluetooth for phone/gps connectivity and 47 mhz for intercom.

My Sena uses bluetooth for intercom as well.  I chose the Sena because the MP3 can be either bluetooth or hardwired, it can pair with a headset of another brand.  I have been happy with them but I have to admit that I have had limited use as a communicator.  Received only a couple of phone calls (with good reports from callers) and have only paired with another device in testing scenario.

The controls are very easy to use.  Most functions are through a large (1.25 inch) diameter knob.  Volume up and down, rotate the knob.  Intercom, press the knob, pause / play press and hold for 1 second.

Do the Scala use bluetooth to communicate or a radio frequency?

Both.  Bluetooth with your phone and radio with other Scala units.

Not sure if this has been brought up or not, but

I'm just wondering if anybody has used or owns a pair of G9x scala rider headsets. My buddies and I are thinking about buying these for next season. Anybody have any experience with these or any other different brands? Thanks guys!

I've used G9s for about 5 years.  They are outstanding.  Crystal clear comms, the batteries will last 2 days in the summer and 1 full day during winter cold.  The only issue on sleds - with any radio - is getting the mic inside your helmet's breath box. On most helmets, it's no problem. On my BV2S helmet with the silicone face mask I had to mount a mic in the mask and punch the cord through the mask wall.  I wondered how long the mic would last with it getting exposed to so much moisture but it is still fine after 2 full sled seasons and 3+ on bikes and ATVs.  

Edited to add:  Scala says the range is 1 mile (1.6km).  In dense bush, it's not quite that far and on wide open roads it can be more. They're really good when you've got 4 people riding together. You can chat freely just as if you were face-to-face. They pair with your phone for calls or streaming music and with your GPS for voice navigation.

I have the G4 and love it. Super clear and the mic doesn't pick up any sounds outside the helmet. Have talked to the wife on the bike at 120km/h and it sounds like your not moving at all.

Only provlem I do have is I keep breaking the one speaker wire on my bike helmet. Doesn't seem to be an issues on the boom mic unit I use in my sled helmet. But the bike one I've replaced once already and it's broke again. Seems to last about 3 years before I screw it up.

Have looked at the G9x too much. But I guess they do link to none Scala units now and have a phone app to control the FM tuner and other options.

Are you saying the g9x is too much money?

Have a pair of G9x and just got a (kijiji) pair of Q2. Going to mount those to the sled helmets. Much simpler units. So far, Diane is still riding on the Seat Jack. I think the only thing that'll change that is me finding a good deal on a Nytro XTX....

We use the G9x pair for dirt bike trail riding. Pretty remarkable units for keeping in touch. It's helped a lot, as I can lead and not have to constantly shoulder check to make sure she's still there, and upright. I can alert her to hazards and direction changes. Much less stress leads to longer happier rides. The noise cancelling and automatic gain are pretty amazing. I've had a chat with someone on my cell phone while riding a noisy dirt bike.

I've used UClear for four years. They work exceptionally well.

• 2 months later...

We've been using G9s for a few years now and they are good but our problem is that they have so many features and we use them so little that it is hard to remember what buttons to push sometimes. We also found that pairing them was not very user friendly and then we couldn't get the fourth one to pair and later read that 3 can pair by clicking them together but more than 3 and you have to pair them online. When I called to ask about the difference between G9 and G9x I was told that it had something to do with adjusting them to the frequency of snowmobile noise and I think the G9x sets can allow one rider to provide music for a group.

We've been using G9s for a few years now and they are good but our problem is that they have so many features and we use them so little that it is hard to remember what buttons to push sometimes. We also found that pairing them was not very user friendly and then we couldn't get the fourth one to pair and later read that 3 can pair by clicking them together but more than 3 and you have to pair them online. When I called to ask about the difference between G9 and G9x I was told that it had something to do with adjusting them to the frequency of snowmobile noise and I think the G9x sets can allow one rider to provide music for a group.

Ya the new G9x is really nice, it's got a smartphone app and you control everything from it . And the buttons just make simple changes now.

My G4 has an FM radio, think I've only used it once and completely by mistake.

One time I got a phone call and it somehow got routed to another guy in our group. I couldn't figure out why he was talking and I couldn't hear him, and he couldn't figure out why he got a phone call when he didn't have his cell phone with him. They do strange things sometimes but overall they really add another dimension to sledding and it's hard going out now with people that don't use them. Very nice that the lead guy can warn everyone about oncoming traffic or issues with the trail too, I feel safer riding with them.

• 3 weeks later...

The batteries in our heavily used G4's finally gave up taking a charge last season (used them in winter riding only for 4 seasons). We considered G9's as the upgrade path but balked at the price. While researching we found the Q3 alternative. A lot less money and all the features we need. Comms are crystal clear, battery life is great (we seemed to ride on the coldest of cold days last season, and batteries failed after about 6 hours of open channel comms).

I don't know if Q3's handle bluetooth phone comms well, we just use them for rider to rider chat. Overall we are very happy with the purchase and would recommend Q3's if G9's are outside of a budget.

Good information, mczed38.

mczes38 sorry to hear about your G4 batteries.. mines got to be 5 years old now. Use it all winter long and all summer long, still runs a solid 8 hours. Maybe because I use mine all year helps keep the battery operating correctly.

Archived