Snow levels Parry Sound area

slomo

As you can see from the photos, not all the snow is gone. In fact with the 'fluffy' insulating property of snow gone, a cold snap will freeze the ground faster and perhaps the ice.

75_60fd94f02ed31a89789acd905e476985

65_6a6558923cc2e1514cd448d48b3ecf23

65_04f42190ec156779c7da1468981ec5a8

Looks better than I thought. Just bought a new Apex and am dying to give her a go!!! We are just outside of Parry Sound on the C BYPass and 518. Thanks for the photos.

Actually the best thing for the area would be a week of decent cold without snow to make a fantastic base.

Agree with that. Might also winter kill a few mice! Caught 2 on sticky sheets under the sled hood. Would have roamed further than my driveway to take some extra pics, but decided to install 1/4 mesh over my air intakes. (I'll put up with the loss of air flow as mouse house would block it just as bad...)

How long would you give it for things to open? A few weeks?

Depends on the weather. After the 'coldest winter of the century' prediction didn't work out, I'm going day by day :lol:

We are just outside of Parry Sound on the C BYPass and 518.
Great area! Rented a place out that way for a couple of years. Is it true that when they built hwy 518 they brought in a bunch of engineering students who were told they could each design a curve in the road? :cry:

[is it true that when they built hwy 518 they brought in a bunch of engineering students who were told they could each design a curve in the road?quote]

Slomo

Ha your not kidding. C Bypass is know for its hills our cottage backs right on to this. Riding in Fergus & Guelph (home) last week very nice...but not the same. Hope things change back for the good.

[

No snow except for a very light skiff last night.

My Lady saw this and said I'm the only other person she has ever heard use this phrase. My Uncle Harley who was born in 1898 and passed in 1997 always said this. Just a light skiff of snow. Thanks for the memories slomo.

wow...I just came down hwy 69m last night. I didn't see hardly any snow and the low spots are full of frozen water, halfway up tree trunks.

we were betting there would be no more riding in that area this year. i don't know how a groomer could ever get through!

wow...I just came down hwy 69m last night. I didn't see hardly any snow and the low spots are full of frozen water, halfway up tree trunks.

we were betting there would be no more riding in that area this year. i don't know how a groomer could ever get through!

Not sure what section of 69 had ice in the trees (suspect it was around Pointe au Baril ) but south of Parry Sound a solid base is still on the trails .Washouts and water crossings are preventing them from reopening yet but there is nothing but snow and cold in the forecast. We always get good sledding in Parry Sound and will again this year, http://www.theweathernetwork.com/index. ... e=caon0525

Has anything changed over the last day or 2? Are things freezing up? How much snow do we need in order to get things back up and running?

While they are calling for some snow keep in mind that with the extensive washouts that require repair on the trail system even a foot a snow wont be enough. A foot of snow does not pack into very much let alone fix all the water holes and cover up rocks. You could do a lot of road running and perhaps the seguin will be in ok shape but I wouldnt expect any trails with marshes/swamps and lots of rock to be ready for this weekend.

Water infront of us is really thin and slushy around the shore, anywhere with current is absolutely unsafe. Hopefully the cold temps this week will firm things up.

Got dumped on last night north of Parry Sound, just finished snowblowing, figure 2 to 3 inches at least

It was real streaky last night (the snowsqualls animals !) north of town not alot in town almost 3ft south of town over a foot!

Still falling and starting to really accumulate, ran the sled around the ice today and was suprised by the depth of the snow, yes a good six inches. :D

Archived