Southriver and area

firecat7

check near north snowdrifters Facebook page, they are very good at updating trail status and conditions for the area.

was around the area last weekend and the trails were great, the forecast looks not to bad for this week aswell

Thx for the update guys,we haven't stayed at the Algonquin in over 10 years,,wont be there till probably after 10am Friday. Is there any food/gas nearby that sells fresh premium. I think the beer store was just down the road too?

Any recommended direction of travel and are the lakes safe for crossing?

There is gas in South River at the shell station, I assume they have premium.  As for travel direction, I would suggest west  towards Loring or Restoule, we had a great ride out to Loring on C105D last Friday and returned on NN450.   As for lake running, I always assume anything or anywhere not staked is suspect.  Lakes trails weren't slushy last weekend.  Near North do an excellent job on their trails and as Nate27 said, their website is usually up to date.  Hope you have a great weekend!

Agree with snowowl on direction of trevel - way less traffic that way.

Had a few people ask me directions to gas from Algonquin - map:

post-19713-0-98981100-1456847650.png

Cool thx for the help guys,,sounds like it should be a good time,and I will keep an eye on their facebook page.

O yeah,anywhere nearby to eat or have a beer or r we commited to the motel?

There is gas in South River at the shell station, I assume they have premium.  As for travel direction, I would suggest west  towards Loring or Restoule, we had a great ride out to Loring on C105D last Friday and returned on NN450.   As for lake running, I always assume anything or anywhere not staked is suspect.  Lakes trails weren't slushy last weekend.  Near North do an excellent job on their trails and as Nate27 said, their website is usually up to date.  Hope you have a great weekend!

Hey snowowl,,how long was your ride last Friday with the route you took there and back assuming you left from Southriver area?

Cool thx for the help guys,,sounds like it should be a good time,and I will keep an eye on their facebook page.

O yeah,anywhere nearby to eat or have a beer or r we commited to the motel?

Antonios (or something like that) next to the Shell, Sherri's Diner just down the street, but trail access from behind the arena - watch for large sign on tree showing the way.

Hi Firecat7, our actual route took us through South River on the way there and through Sundridge on the way back.  I'm not one to pay attention to times on the sled, but, my guess would be about 6 hr there and back including a lunch/gas stop (From and to South River).  NN450 is much faster than C105D, it is shorter distance with more lake running.  BTW we saw about 5 deer on the trails so be wary, especially as you get closer to Loring area.

There is a maze of trails in the Loring area so if you want a longer ride you can easily do that.  Hope this helps.

Wow that is qwicker than I woulda thought,,thx for the heads up about the wildlife and the route.

I spend a lot of time riding around the south river and surrounding area, always enjoy staying at the algonquin motel, the owner Mel is a very friendly guy. Make sure to get out there early, trails will get rough really fast! Which is unfortunate because it looks like I will be bringing the gf this weekend and she will be on the back of the viper lol.

I spend a lot of time riding around the south river and surrounding area, always enjoy staying at the algonquin motel, the owner Mel is a very friendly guy. Make sure to get out there early, trails will get rough really fast! Which is unfortunate because it looks like I will be bringing the gf this weekend and she will be on the back of the viper lol.

Maybe we will cross paths this weekend or r u staying at the Algonquin also?

Good times had this weekend,put about 260 miles on between Fri afternoon and Sat afternoon,great trails on Fri turned to beat up Sat afternoon and tons of deer like previously warned.

Looks to be the last weekend for the area with the coming temps?

Maybe we will cross paths this weekend or r u staying at the Algonquin also?

Ya I was at the algonquin Thursday and Friday night. Stayed up i Northbay Saturday night. Looks like the riding is all done for the year, near north snow drifters have closed there trails.

I did see your machine there later Fri nite/Sat am,,,I thnk we were only a couple rooms apart.   Btw thats a good looking Yammy.

Question for you bbakernbay...I looked yesterday & the trails were green & now they are closed? Is it that bad that they can't just go to limited or is it in hopes some cold weather will return & the base will be saved? I'm only asking because I was planning to head up for one last & second time only this year this weekend.

This has got to be one of the worst winters I can remember!!

Archived