NBSC Friday, February 26th

bbakernbay

All 3 NBSC Groomers working Thursday and Friday after snow storm.

North Groomer (Tucker) double shifting today.

All Operators are reporting huge drifting and very dry snow that is nearly impossible to pack.

AD on pipeline is being groomed but is still rough with heavy traffic, drifts and dry snow.

We rode the AD North to 102Q, 300 and 308. Lots of snow! Saw 2 groomers out working during the day. One broke down on 308 above the 300. Rode to Bent Toys to get help for him. Lots more snow on the way here. The SSR Trail from trout Lake to Travelodge Seymour is snow cross moguls.

We rode the AD North to 102Q, 300 and 308. Lots of snow! Saw 2 groomers out working during the day. One broke down on 308 above the 300. Rode to Bent Toys to get help for him. Lots more snow on the way here. The SSR Trail from trout Lake to Travelodge Seymour is snow cross moguls.

Thanks for reporting the groomer problems to Paul at Bent Toys. They called me and our Operations Manager had the North groomer get in touch with the Redbridge groomer.

The orange North groomer (Tucker) worked 17 hours straight yesterday with 2nd operator taking over and working until midnight.

He said traffic was crazy even at 10 p.m.

Dry snow hard to pack, lots of traffic will beat the air out of the snow but another 25 cms forecast for Sunday.

That D trail is where the SSRSC groomer sunk 2 weeks ago.

It is nearly impossible to groom with traffic, terrain and multiple water crossings.

Thanks for posting.

Brian

NBSC

Just got back from a week up there.  In 15 years I've never seen the trails that bumpy before.  Perfect storm of no snow south, sunken groomer, freezing/thawing, and heavy traffic.  We rode north the first day on A trail.  Was pretty bumpy until you left NBSC, then it was really bad.  All in all, the NBSC, SSR, and Bonfield trails were in better shape than others.

I've never seen that many sleds in this area during the middle of the week.  The foot of new snow last wednesday helped and hurt - it was really good where the trails had been fairly smooth before the snow.  But the new snow eventually "amplified" the whoops.  Last half of the week we rode A102Q, NB30x trails, and A112A.

I hope this weather pattern isn't the "new normal" (i.e. no snow south).

My only suggestions:

1. After a thaw, consider grooming the main trails before the refreeze if possible.  If we waited for cold temps to groom down here, our trails would never be groomed (LOL).

2. Find a solution to get across the Jocko river so NBSC can groom to the border... Quebec seems to have zero intention of grooming that side.  They could have easily groomed it to the swampy areas, but elected not to.  They didn't even groom the other side where they could have (i.e. along the road and up to the swampy area).

A102Q is such a beautiful ride... We hit the NBSC side right as the groomer was coming back

post-20071-0-37581200-1456850072_thumb.jpg

A102Q on Friday 2/26

In my opinion the type of bone dry snow is the major issue facing all clubs in the northeast whether it be Sudbury, North Bay, wherever.

This stuff is so dry it will not pack and set up to form a packed base.

Secondly the traffic is much heavier than any other years, especially large touring groups of 10 - 20 riders all going to beat hell.

Thirdly, there are way too many aggressive riders that go give a crap what they leave behind them. Absolutely no respect for the trail, fellow Snowmobilers or the Volunteers doing the grooming.

Our Ops Mgr. was grooming AD on Sunday and a single sled passed him then pinned the throttle and fish tailed all the way up the trail he groomed an hour earlier. He said he felt like dropping the wheels on the drag and packing it in.

Yes, it would be desirable to do all night time grooming, in theory yes, is it practical no. Much too risky to have Operators out after midnight 50 Kms from nowhere and nobody watching their tracks or ready to help them out. Even some Clubs with paid Operators don't groom after midnight.

Our Ops Mgr. groomed the D trail around 11:00 p.m. Last week and met groups of 10 and 15 sledders.

This is not one Or two Clubs failing, our premier Club ADSC has paid operators, a new Husky, other groomers and have been completely frustrated by trail conditions and complaints.

I know that I will be happy to walk away from this responsibility in another month and I truthfully only get a very few complaints but I know some others are taking a lot of mean spirited criticism by social media, phone calls and even at their place of business.

One guy complained that our trails were excellent the last 2 years and this year terrible.

Well buddy we aren't doing anything any different, it is the late start, terrible dry snow and very heavy traffic.

Can you not understand this?

Another season like this could be fatal to many Clubs like ours depending on so few people to make it all work. Burnout is real.

Brian Baker

NBSC President

Brian,

We were in North Bay Thursday to Sunday.My little gang have been going there almost exclusively for 20 yrs.Knowing the challenges you are facing, we still went. Rode at least 80% fun trails with a little crap thrown in. We passed groomers quite a few times and I can tell you, by the time the last rider (me) got there, we roughed it up again. Not on purpose, just because it was so loose. People have this sense of entitlement. They feel like they've paid money for a permit, the clubs have an obligation to keep things near perfect for them.We've had this debate before and it's no wonder guys like you, who truly give a crap, want to pack it in. Can't blame you one bit. Over the years, I've met numerous people who were involved with various clubs and are now gone. Thanks for all you do and I know I'll be back next year.We drive up from the Windsor area and it's always worth it.

Mike

Thanks Mike, it certainly has been a challenging year for every Club in the Province.

Whether this 2 weeks of forecast mild weather spells the end or not will be interesting.

Sad to lose March Break if we do have a meltdown.

Cheers

Brian

Hey Brian, any grooming tonight (sat) thinking about going to temagami tomorrow but not sure as there's a ton of sledders out right now..Any other suggestions if you think that main trail might be bad?. Thanks

Bf201 was awesome..talon lake is pretty cool and scenic, 308 was getting bumpy but still very enjoyable..same for a102q..A/D trail rocked..nice and speedy..Ate at Tomiko restaurant..Hot Dog and fries were yummy..that's as far as we got..came back to lake Nosbonsing (home) and had a nap at 3 lol...not sure if I'm working tonight..

Great Day..you always want one more ride....

Might have to do Cochrane as I'm only 400kms away from 20,000 on my Apex

Might have to do Cochrane as I'm only 400kms away from 20,000 on my Apex

You can join us in Kap if you are free.

I think it will be over here pretty soon.

brian,you mean wed night...right ?

Yes, stand corrected.

A very discouraging season, we are probably better off than most.

There will be a lot of crying with Clubs having to return $$ due to well below average grooming hours.

Enjoy your trip.

I got a note today from a guy who said he just returned from RAP Tour and said it was great, except Kearney.

Archived