Gravenhurst - Gold Pine Inn Motel

revrnd

I see the Muskoka Gateway Motel has changed its name. By the look of things on Google Earth (Street View) they were doing exterior renovations last July:

post-19781-0-00433700-1456026330_thumb.jpg

Any word on it recently. I don't think the Gateway had been open for a while.

Golden Pine has had visible work done over the past two years. Certainly has not been opened yet. Seems to have been at a standstill for several months.

There hasn't been an open motel at that site for several years.

Probably a money laundering operation. "Construction" has been going on for months. Useless anyway as there is no sled trail within miles of the place. Used to be one at the back?

Useless as there is no sled trail within miles of the place. Used to be one at the back?

Quite right. Accessible via Gull Lake once upon a time. Even if the motel were to reopen, the usefulness to sledders would be minimal. Theoretically, if we were to have a real winter, a person could likely still boondock from the property to Gravenhurst via the bush and then Gull Lake. The more likely option would be to Trailer from the motel to access the OFSC system at Gull Lake Rotary Park, about a mile.

OK, thanks guys about the trail access issues.

Quite right. Accessible via Gull Lake once upon a time. Even if the motel were to reopen, the usefulness to sledders would be minimal. Theoretically, if we were to have a real winter, a person could likely still boondock from the property to Gravenhurst via the bush and then Gull Lake. The more likely option would be to Trailer from the motel to access the OFSC system st Gull Lake Rotary Park, about a mile.

Quite right, quite right. Before the bridge over Hwy 11, the "D" trail was on a pipeline that ran not too far off the back of the property. For a time, Snowcrest would hold their monthly meetings at The Heritage (is that what it was called at the time?). During that time there was a club trail from pipeline D in to the property. As Blake points out, the route from the hotel to the pipeline is "a bit of a boondock". The pipeline from there to Gull Lake still sees traffic but, even in the best of years it was a mogul festival.

Here's a picture from today. As far as I can recall the Golden Pine was formerly called the Canoka Motel. The property was listed for $999,000.00 a couple of years ago. It included what's shown in the photo along with a secondary block of approximately 8 motel units, plus 6 viable rental houses. Next door was well known burger joint, Skokie's Place, which burned to the ground 5 or 10 years ago.

post-22473-0-58408600-1456101779_thumb.jpg

As far as I can recall the Golden Pine was formerly called the Canoka Motel.

That must be a pre-2000 name because I don't ever recall it being called that. That's about the time I started work on the spreadsheet. Back then it was made up of what was @ the back of the sled mag & map ads from the districts.

Yes, the name Canoka is one from many years ago. I remember it as the Canoka when I was working for Diblee Construction during the hwy 11 widening in the late 60's. Our construction trailers were situated where Budget Propane currently sits at Beiers Road and 11. Several of the guys from Ottawa stayed there long term. It has had a couple of names since. Heritage was one of the names but not the last one.

I think Skyways was it's name as long as I can remember. Never looked like much whenever I drove by it. 

Skyways is a few miles north of the Golden Pine.

You might be thinking of Skyways that is north of Gravenhurst. Near Muskoka Airport with a motel and gas, convenience store and restaurant it also used to have a trail in to the back from the junction of Snowcrest trails 5 & 8 (as they existed at the time)

Red circle is Skyways by the airport.

Green circle is the Gold Pine.

post-22473-0-01797000-1456112760_thumb.jpg

Sorry about that "assumption". 

• 4 months later...

Blake u gotta try the butter tarts at the Bears Den, holy god are they amazing!!

The gold pine motel looks really nice driving by for sure and it's good to see cars in the parking lot. I will have to try the moose restaurant out very soon. Maybe a lunch there with my new neighbor soon? Lol

• 3 months later...
On 2/21/2016 at 7:48 PM, Blake G said:

Here's a picture from today. As far as I can recall the Golden Pine was formerly called the Canoka Motel. The property was listed for $999,000.00 a couple of years ago. It included what's shown in the photo along with a secondary block of approximately 8 motel units, plus 6 viable rental houses. Next door was well known burger joint, Skokie's Place, which burned to the ground 5 or 10 years ago.

2016-02-21 19.46.31.jpg

http://www.goldpinemotel.com/

Its a real shame there isn't a trail leading to it or even nearby. Looks to be a great business and seems they take pride in their service to customers. They also spent a fair penny updating it by the looks and sounds of it.. Maybe that is something worthwhile for them and snowcrest club to get together and see where there might be an avenue to get a trail to it?? BlakeG thoughts...

There was a trail to it years ago.

1 hour ago, Blake G said:

There was a trail to it years ago.

Well do you think it would be worth looking into opening up that trail again with the owner of the business.. 

Not sure, SuperG.

I know very little about Snowcrest's future plans.

12 hours ago, SuperG said:

Well do you think it would be worth looking into opening up that trail again with the owner of the business.. 

Shouldn't a trail to the business be something that the business pursues and possibly even installs. It is after all for their benefit.

8 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Shouldn't a trail to the business be something that the business pursues and possibly even installs. It is after all for their benefit.

yes but they need guidance in doing so thats why i said the club should try to open that trail with the business owner, is what I said in my statement.  

While we love riding our local Baxter trails on occasion we like to venture elsewhere. The Family Day weekend is one of those times and at least one other depending on the length of the season perhaps more. I did make a mistake of taking my wife to Deerhurst once and she got spoiled and wonders when we will go back. So far I tell her there are lots of other places to go before we start to repeat.

At the sled show I picked up a promo card for Crestwood Inn - Port Carling. They have an $80 sled head rate per night. Anyone ever stay there and is it wife friendly?

Also I was just looking at the trail guide online and was contemplating a loop around Lake Muskoka - C102D to D to Bracebridge to Gravenhurst - C101D to C114 to Bala to Glen Orchard to C102D and finish back at Crestwood. 101.4 km which is a relatively light day but enough for my wife at a relaxing pace and a nice stop perhaps Gravenhurst for lunch. Anything to be aware of to avoid and is there much in the way of road rash?

Capture.JPG

Comments - suggestions and worth while detours such as running toward the lake on 12 would be appreciated.

I have not been to any of these, but you can have a look - all have direct trail access:

Crestwood

http://www.crestwoodinn.ca/index.html

Sleep Inn Bracebridge

http://www.choicehotels.ca/en/sleep-inn-bracebridge-hotel-cn363?cid=561766

Hart of Muskoka

http://www.hartofmuskoka.com/our-rooms.html
http://www.hartofmuskoka.com/sledders.html

Residence Inn Gravenhurst - some good sledder deals here

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/yqari-residence-inn-gravenhurst-muskoka-wharf/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2

Just thought of another entertaining "relationship rescue" activity for you - you stay in Port Carling, the wife stays in Gravenhurst and then you each try to find the other on that circular route you describe on the map.

Hope you are going during the week and not on a weekend. While in Bala, deploy your Rouskis.

Archived