Algonquin Snowmobile Club trail closure.

Nunz

Just saw this online this morning,

This is horrible news for the area and a critical link for the Muskoka area...

ASC Trail Update, February 13, 2016
URGENT TRAIL CLOSURE INFORMATION

As a disclaimer this email is MY personal views and opinion and NOT those of the OFSC, District 7, the Muskoka Snowmobile Region or the Algonquin Snowmobile Club or their Executive.

Sorry to say we had to close a critical part of trail on our system tonight. Trail D101B from the ASC Shelter to the D101B / 74 Junction is closed due to a Landowner issue with the Bill 100. This section eliminates access from Dorset to Dwight. With Lake of Bays not safe or staked its a huge a problem.

Due to this trail closure it impacts the following.

Sledders coming from the Dorset area will not be able to come to the Dwight Winter Carnival on Saturday.

Sledders from the Dwight / Oxtongue Lake area will not be able to attend the Dorset Lions Camp / Tall Pines Poker Run on Saturday.

Sledders will not be able to support our sponsoring businesses in Dwight from the south and Dorset from the north on the busiest sledding weekend of the season. Mother Nature has done plenty of hardship to our supporters and now this.

Sledders doing the RAP TOUR (Ride Around Algonquin Park) cannot complete or start their trip as the alternate route has closures too due to the weather.

Over the years we have had plenty of Landowner concerns which we have been able to resolve by relocating trails or adding bridges and gates. We have a resolution to this issue to be done next year but with the short notice cannot do it as we will need MNR approval which is the plan for the Spring.

Attached is a Press Release from the Ontario Trails Council about the Bill 100 Landowner concerns.

This Bill could take years to be passed and in my personal opinion there was no urgency to close this trail today. Again this is just my personal opinion.

What really upsets me is this Landowner is a prominent Business owner and past ASC Supporter serving the Dwight, Dorset and Lake of Bays area.

We will resolve this issue but it won't happen tomorrow. Sorry to be the barer of bad news.

•••

Terrible news!

OMG here we go again.  Hope everyone stays off LOB though.  This just might head some sledders in the wrong direction.  Be safe everyone and please adhere to the closures!!

I wonder how many will ignore the Trail Closed signs and run it regardless having the seemingly ever so current sense of entitlement and disregard for private property

I wonder how many will ignore the Trail Closed signs and run it regardless having the seemingly ever so current sense of entitlement and disregard for private property

there is a gate you'll hit eventually if it's been closed but in this case I hope people run this trail... has to be at least 30 years we've been riding it and never an issue now he's got some ignorant beef and takes it out on sledders and his community in general. Screw him

there is a gate you'll hit eventually if it's been closed but in this case I hope people run this trail... has to be at least 30 years we've been riding it and never an issue now he's got some ignorant beef and takes it out on sledders and his community in general. Screw him

And its attitudes like this that are the EXACT reason that we keep losing trails.

With an attitude like that we'll lose the trail for good for sure and never have a chance of getting it back. Then he talks to his neighbours and they decide to close the trails on their property as well. You seem to forget you aren't special. It is private property and not yours. You're entitled to nothing. Bottom line.... we should be thanking the landowner for letting us use HIS PRIVATE PROPERTY FOR ALL THE TIME HE HAS IN THE PAST. How would you like someone squatting in your back yard uninvited. I doubt you would tolerate it.

YOU do not own the land. YOU were a guest on his land. Where are your manners?

Its no wonder people put up barbed wire with that kind of attitude. I'm glad we've got so much crown land available up here .... your theory would get that taken away from us as well .

And its attitudes like this that are the EXACT reason that we keep losing trails.

lol no its not. Youre entirely Clueless

There is a bigger f8ght at stake here. There are traditional trails, portages and roads that have been used for thousands of years.

This trail IS lost for good. Has nothing to do with snowmobiles either but you guys keep flapping your gums like you know everything

I'm not saying that the trail was closed due to sledders. My issue with your comment is your suggestion that people should ignore the landowners request. The landowner doesn't want people to trespass on his property. That's his right. It's private property.

The sense of entitlement and trespassing is an all too common issue with both sledders and ATV'ers and continues to irritate land owners to the point of restricting access to their property. 

Just arrived at the cottage planning to leave for the RAP tour from Minden on Tuesday and saw this... I'm going to point blank ask if there's any known detour to this portion of the trip. Has anyone been running on LOB from Dorset to 76? Is there a detour around the closed section of property people are using? To have a small 4k section of trail ruin a four day trip is going to be devastating. 

Just arrived at the cottage planning to leave for the RAP tour from Minden on Tuesday and saw this... I'm going to point blank ask if there's any known detour to this portion of the trip. Has anyone been running on LOB from Dorset to 76? Is there a detour around the closed section of property people are using? To have a small 4k section of trail ruin a four day trip is going to be devastating. 

I don't know if the lakes from Hawk Lk north are staked. If not then theres no way right now to get from Minden to Dorset either. Might be worth looking at getting someone to trailer you to Dwight and start from there.

lol no its not. Youre entirely Clueless

There is a bigger f8ght at stake here. There are traditional trails, portages and roads that have been used for thousands of years.

This trail IS lost for good. Has nothing to do with snowmobiles either but you guys keep flapping your gums like you know everything

Who said the trai was lost due to snowmobiles? Nobody! The point is the trail is on private property and the landowner has the right to refuse access to HIS property. Send us your address so we can stop by and squat on your front yard when we want to. You shouldn't have a problem with that even though its your private property but even if you do, too bad.

Who said the trai was lost due to snowmobiles? Nobody! The point is the trail is on private property and the landowner has the right to refuse access to HIS property. Send us your address so we can stop by and squat on your front yard when we want to. You shouldn't have a problem with that even though its your private property but even if you do, too bad.

your comments are a canned response with zero realistic impact in this situation. They were completely and utterly useless in this discussion.

The landowner in this case doesn't care about snowmobiles riding the trail. It's closed, he revoked permission for an ignorant beef with bill 100. Give it a few weeks with no grooming and nobody will want to go down it. It will get over grown in a year and then it's long gone. This isn't some farmers field in southern Ontario!

But by all means repeat the same canned response about riding on closed trails, brat your chest like I'm the bad guy and more trails will close due to the ineptitude of sledders such as yourself as I believe you are involved in a club and thus the ofsc. The ofsc has failed sledders yet again withe their lack of response to landowner concerns regarding bill 100.

Learn about the topic you're talking about before flapping your gums.

your in trouble now,be good to hear whole story.clubs do some good for landowners too,maybe could have waited till after family day wk-end.unless of course it was something serious.either way it stinks

your in trouble now,be good to hear whole story.clubs do some good for landowners too,maybe could have waited till after family day wk-end.unless of course it was something serious.either way it stinks

lol. How am I in trouble?

Ignorance is the story, thr fact its family day werkend was on purpose. To make a political point.

but if you read up its sledders riding closed trails. Gmfb

your comments are a canned response with zero realistic impact in this situation. They were completely and utterly useless in this discussion.

The landowner in this case doesn't care about snowmobiles riding the trail. It's closed, he revoked permission for an ignorant beef with bill 100. Give it a few weeks with no grooming and nobody will want to go down it. It will get over grown in a year and then it's long gone. This isn't some farmers field in southern Ontario!

But by all means repeat the same canned response about riding on closed trails, brat your chest like I'm the bad guy and more trails will close due to the ineptitude of sledders such as yourself as I believe you are involved in a club and thus the ofsc. The ofsc has failed sledders yet again withe their lack of response to landowner concerns regarding bill 100.

Learn about the topic you're talking about before flapping your gums.

Your sense of entitlement are the attitudes that cause problems with landowners. Regardless of the landowners reasons for closing the trail the fact is he has the right to do whatever he wants with his property. Your suggestion that snowmobilers continue to ride on the trail although it is closed is the entitlement and lack of respect for the generosity of the landowner in general that results in a few irresponsible snowmobilers giving the snowmobiling community a bad reputation. That bad reputation whether earned by the snowmobiling community as a whole or in most cases a few bad apples tends to create challenges for clubs when asking landowners to allow us on THEIR property. Reality is that they don't benefit from letting us on their property, in many cases we cost them money and cause them more headaches than they deserve. Things like people who refuse to stay on trail, ride with cans, disturbing their enjoyment of their property and more.

lol. How am I in trouble?

Ignorance is the story, thr fact its family day werkend was on purpose. To make a political point.

but if you read up its sledders riding closed trails. Gmfb

timing was brutal,believe this landowner was mislead on bill 100 facts...

gmfb...like that one,mind if I use it

ASC will be working on a re-route this week.

This guy does not post much here, but if someone knowledgeable could help him out with this, (safely) would consider it a favour. Every year he plans this trip with his boys no matter where they are. Thanks!

lots of people are running the lake but it's not safe to stake I'm told.

Your sense of entitlement are the attitudes that cause problems with landowners. Regardless of the landowners reasons for closing the trail the fact is he has the right to do whatever he wants with his property. Your suggestion that snowmobilers continue to ride on the trail although it is closed is the entitlement and lack of respect for the generosity of the landowner in general that results in a few irresponsible snowmobilers giving the snowmobiling community a bad reputation. That bad reputation whether earned by the snowmobiling community as a whole or in most cases a few bad apples tends to create challenges for clubs when asking landowners to allow us on THEIR property. Reality is that they don't benefit from letting us on their property, in many cases we cost them money and cause them more headaches than they deserve. Things like people who refuse to stay on trail, ride with cans, disturbing their enjoyment of their property and more.

my entitlement attitude; love it. Please share more cliches, that will solve this!

my entitlement attitude; love it. Please share more cliches, that will solve this!

Waste of time trying to get you to understand what you obviously can't comprehend. Simply put you encourage snowmobilers to continue to ride a closed trail that has been closed because the OWNER of the property decided to revoke permission regardless of his reason. Just because the trail has been there for years you feel ENTITLED to ride on HiIS property even though the OWNER doesn't want you on HIS property.

Just curious, do you pay attention to the staked trail running through an open field with Stay On Trail signs or do you say screw it and go play in the untracked snow. Something tells me you ignore those signs as well.

Archived