Ride Report Feb 5&8

14 snow

Left Travel Lodge on Friday the 5th and headed 711 (moguled) to D to Trout Lake (not slushy) and up AD.  AD had been groomed overnight it seemed and was excellent up to the A102Q junction.  It then got rougher north of there for a fair ways, maybe even Martin River.  Saw an OPP with a radar gun at a road crossing but he wished us well and we were on our way.  There is a bad water crossing (reported elsewhere) on A.

On Monday,February 8, we came back in from Timiscaming and as reported the Quebec portion (now TQ63) was terrible.  Once we hit Jocko river it was excellent all the way to where the plowing starts.  We were fortunate enough to ride fresh snow all the way to NB308 But we passed the plow heading the other East.

NB308 on Monday morning was pure bliss.  Maybe 8" or so of fresh powder all the way down to A112A.  Passed the North Bay groomer on A112A. Visited the Mica mine for the first time.

A from Mattawa all the way from to BF203 was great as was A from Bonfield to Trout Lake.

Overall, we enjoyed all the trails in North Bay and the surrounding areas.

Thanks for the report... so the plowing was on NB308 or A112A?  Just trying to get a handle on what sections they may still be plowing - at one point it sounded like A112A was really bad.  I know from years before there were sections in that area (NB300/308) that were plowed for limited distances - usually not too bad with fresh snow.

Like gwilburn, I'd like to know exactly where on the A112A the section is that Hydro ruined.  We are in North Bay Saturday and would like to avoid traffic and hit some of the club trails like NB308, just don't want to run into this section.

Hey guys I am here now and have been since Monday evening.  It's the A112A that they are plowing. It's hydro One.  The plowed section is from Trout Lake to NB308.  All the trails are awesome here otherwise.  Been on Bonfield, Mattawa, Deux Riviere and they are 8 out of 10 to 10/10.  Lots of snow and still snowing.  Grooming is very active with all the clubs.

Oh and NB308 is freakin AWESOME especially with the powder.  We were on it Tuesday and there was a good foot of fresh powder on it.  Yeehaw

Oh and NB308 is freakin AWESOME especially with the powder.  We were on it Tuesday and there was a good foot of fresh powder on it.  Yeehaw

Sounds like our experience on Monday as well.  Loved it.

Hey guys I am here now and have been since Monday evening.  It's the A112A that they are plowing. It's hydro One.  The plowed section is from Trout Lake to NB308.  All the trails are awesome here otherwise.  Been on Bonfield, Mattawa, Deux Riviere and they are 8 out of 10 to 10/10.  Lots of snow and still snowing.  Grooming is very active with all the clubs.

Sounds great... so is that section impassible (i.e. no snow), or just rough and bumpy?

Also, what is currently the best way "around" it (if it must be avoided)?

Thanks... can't wait to be there.

In addition to gwilburn's question (I am anxiously awaiting a reply to his question, as this plowed section of A112A effectively removes the ability to do a loop ride)...I have heard of a "lookout" mentioned before...is this on NB304?

Thanks!

In addition to gwilburn's question (I am anxiously awaiting a reply to his question, as this plowed section of A112A effectively removes the ability to do a loop ride)...I have heard of a "lookout" mentioned before...is this on NB304?

Thanks!

You can run it.  Just the remember that it is plowed.  But it is passable.  I have spoke to people who have been on it and done the complete loop A112A from North Bay to Mattawa and than the A trail on the way back.  Actually I just spoke with a guy who did it today and all is good.  Plowed but he said it was fine.  They are grooming like crazy up here.  Have fun

Thanks!!  Can't wait.  We had zero snow down here until the end of January.  Got nearly a meter in 24 hours... it was gone the following weekend. Worst winter ever

Thanks Brian and extreme600!  Sorry for the thread hijack gwilburn!

Thanks Brian and extreme600!  Sorry for the thread hijack gwilburn!

Anytime.  Have fun and be safe. 

I bitch about A112A but I have a 20 year old sled.

Lookout is at dead end of NB304 off NB308.

LOL Some times you are too hard on yourself Brian.  But, you are correct with these newer sleds it really does make a difference.  We really enjoyed our days on your trail system.  Brutal drive home today all 310 miles of it!!  Thanks again for all your honest info.  We would rather you be on the negative side of things for reports than too positive. 

Thanks!!  Can't wait.  We had zero snow down here until the end of January.  Got nearly a meter in 24 hours... it was gone the following weekend. Worst winter ever

Was snowing since we left Bonfield this morning at 9:00am all the way down to southern part of Orillia.  White outs most of the way, but we are home safe and sound, sleds in one piece and miles of smiles and memories.  Enjoy your trip, but be careful up there.  Every once in a while you will notice a little water flowing in the middle of the trail in a few spots.  Keep alert and pay attention to the ribbons the clubs hang in the trees.  Without the frost in the ground and water running under the trail it sometimes can open up a little.  Trails were groomed to perfection while we were up there.  BE SAFE!!!  Lakes up in North Bay were fast and pretty smooth too!!!  Stay on the stake lines ONLY and you won't have any issues.  Have fun and post when you are done

• 2 weeks later...

Hey 14 Snow was was your experience at the Travel Lodge?  I'm thinking of staying there this weekend with around 6 riders, is it close to the trails?  I believe they want $100 night which includes breakfast.

Thanks

It was good, get a ground floor room.  Breakfast was good, trail access is better than Lakeshore Dr places in my opinion.

A112A from A2 all the way to NB308 is plowed by loggers and utility work, also A112A from NB308 intersection east except for last 10 Kms to Mica Mine (MASC)

A2 is plowed or not able to be groomed from A112A west to Trout Lake.

The D trail from Trout Lake to Highway 17 at Mr. Gas will be rough as that is where SSRSC groomer and drag sank 10 days ago.

It was good, get a ground floor room.  Breakfast was good, trail access is better than Lakeshore Dr places in my opinion.

x2

At the travelodge now.  Pool and hot tub have not been operable since we arrived on sunday.

Are there any plans to groom the A/D trail between Trout Lake and 17?  Or the local trail over to the Travelodge & Holiday Inn?  These are in really, really bad shape.

At the travelodge now.  Pool and hot tub have not been operable since we arrived on sunday.

Are there any plans to groom the A/D trail between Trout Lake and 17?  Or the local trail over to the Travelodge & Holiday Inn?  These are in really, really bad shape.

That section is where the South Shore Restoule Snowmobile Club sunk the BR a week ago Sunday, so no it will not likely be getting groomed. The VK with a small drag tries to smooth it out but can't keep up with traffic and moguls.

As they say, "It is what it is"

Archived