Kirkland Lake

DaveTess

Tess and I were thinking of heading to Kirkland Lake. Never ridden there. Is there a decent way to get from the Microtell to the trail in behind the Comfort Inn?

Comfort Inn or Microtel?

Dave

Tess and I were thinking of heading to Kirkland Lake. Never ridden there. Is there a decent way to get from the Microtell to the trail in behind the Comfort Inn?

Comfort Inn or Microtel?

Dave

When are you guys heading up there? We will be in the area this weekend Sunday and Monday

I see the A109 has a section of Limited crossing the river. Is this something an old fart should be concerned with. I'm not real good with water crossing.

I see the A109 has a section of Limited crossing the river. Is this something an old fart should be concerned with. I'm not real good with water crossing.

Shouldn't be an issue at all. I think the river bank is a bit too steep this year for the groomer to pass right through, but easily navigated on sled.

Great trail btw

I'm hoping to ride out of Larder on Sunday, where are you guys riding from/to??

I am thinking leaving New Liskeard and taking a loop towards Kirkland Lake and then back to New Liskeard.

Comfort Inn or Microtel?

Dave

Up the side of an adjacent street for one long block puts you on the trail behind the Microtel. Once on that town loop trail you can get over to the Comfort Inn, or anywhere else.

Stayed at the Microtel last April sleddin as the renos were happenin and the snow was a meltin. We had great brand new beds, and the hotel modernization seemed to be headed in the right direction, but I haven't seen the finished product. One good thing about staying in town at the Microtel is a good pub within walking distance that has good food.

Great trails around KL. Be sure to get out to King Kirkland and do the north loop of L101, A108, L103, A110Q, and L102. The only thing that can mess those trails up is logging operations. Kirkland was still grooming the local trails when the A trail north was shutting down north and south of KL.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to a great weekend.

I'm sure you can drive through the microtel parking lot cross the road into the comfort Inn entrance and onto the trail in behind it.

The L108 comes out to Hwy 66 right beside the Comfort Inn and right across from the Hockey Heritage North/ MicroTel's west entrance.  Very easy to get to the trails from the MicroTel.

Up the side of an adjacent street for one long block puts you on the trail behind the Microtel. Once on that town loop trail you can get over to the Comfort Inn, or anywhere else.

Stayed at the Microtel last April sleddin as the renos were happenin and the snow was a meltin. We had great brand new beds, and the hotel modernization seemed to be headed in the right direction, but I haven't seen the finished product. One good thing about staying in town at the Microtel is a good pub within walking distance that has good food.

Great trails around KL. Be sure to get out to King Kirkland and do the north loop of L101, A108, L103, A110Q, and L102. The only thing that can mess those trails up is logging operations. Kirkland was still grooming the local trails when the A trail north was shutting down north and south of KL.

Enjoy!

The MicroTel is across the street from the Comfort Inn at the west end of town.  Sounds like you may be talking about the old Kirkland Lake Inn/ Super 8 at the east end???

Shouldn't be an issue at all. I think the river bank is a bit too steep this year for the groomer to pass right through, but easily navigated on sled.

Great trail btw

My brother and a few others went from KL to Englehart then back up to Larder through the A109.  He said there are no issues at the river crossing.  The groomer doesn't cross the river but grooms from each side.  When they opened the trail they had a hard time cleaning up the banks.  Should be better this weekend after one more grooming.

Thanks guys. Coming in Friday and staying until Monday. Looking forward to some nice riding and new adventures on trails we'ver never been on.

Thanks guys. Coming in Friday and staying until Monday. Looking forward to some nice riding and new adventures on trails we'ver never been on.

For recent info check out Facebook "Golden Corridor Snowdrifters Kirkland Lake & Area", "Club Echo - Earlton/Englehart/Charlton" and Tri-Town Sno Travellers are to the south, GEM Trail Blazers is to the west while Jackpine Snowmobile Club (Iroquois Falls Ontario) and Timmins Snowmobile Club are to the north.

The MicroTel is across the street from the Comfort Inn at the west end of town.  Sounds like you may be talking about the old Kirkland Lake Inn/ Super 8 at the east end???

OOPS! You got that right. It is whatever the old Kirkland Inn became that I stayed at. Still like the pub and its also easy to access the loop trail, as are all hotels.

Hi Ultrafrozen are you able to cross Larder Lake or is there a land trail , also is the Quebec side of the trail groomed  

I'm sure you can drive through the microtel parking lot cross the road into the comfort Inn entrance and onto the trail in behind it.

This is what we did this past Friday night.  Honestly we found signage poor around the local trails and had a challenge figuring out how to get there.  On your way in gas up at the Canadian Tire and then do the short back track to the Microtel.

The hotel is nice, it has a pool and hot tub and includes a hot breakfast.  We had dinner ordered in from Mama's. Food was excellent. 

For those wanting drinks, the LCBO is not convenient by sled, although we did it.  We later learned there is Dial-a-bottle.

My choice would be Microtel over the Comfort Inn any day. 

OOPS! You got that right. It is whatever the old Kirkland Inn became that I stayed at. Still like the pub and its also easy to access the loop trail, as are all hotels.

Yup, everything is easy to get to if you know where to go.  The problem is signage has to be updated but it is getting better.

The loop trail you mention (for visiting OC members) is made up of the A110Q south of town and runs east-west, A108 to the east and runs north-south while the L102 north of town connects A110Q west of town with A108 north east of town.  Much easier to visualize on the OFSC ITG.  Don't get confused south of town where A110Q and A108 are twinned for about 1km.

Hi Ultrafrozen are you able to cross Larder Lake or is there a land trail , also is the Quebec side of the trail groomed  

There is no longer a land trail from the West side of Larder Lake.  You have to cross the lake.  It wasn't staked on Saturday but I know they were planning too when there was less slush.

The trail in the Quebec side is NOT open and is apparently not opening this year. We did make the adventure though.  The actual groomed trail starts at the road to the ski hill on the Quebec side.  Not sure what the issue is, it wasn't that wet or anything.

This is what we did this past Friday night. Honestly we found signage poor around the local trails and had a challenge figuring out how to get there. On your way in gas up at the Canadian Tire and then do the short back track to the Microtel.

The hotel is nice, it has a pool and hot tub and includes a hot breakfast. We had dinner ordered in from Mama's. Food was excellent.

For those wanting drinks, the LCBO is not convenient by sled, although we did it. We later learned there is Dial-a-bottle.

My choice would be Microtel over the Comfort Inn any day.

I like the drive up factor of the comfort Inn bottom rooms. That's what I booked for Sunday 40 bucks less is a factor too lol.

The beer store is easily accessible from trail L105 that goes to the Super 8.

From what I read, yes, Larder Lake has been traveled but not open yet by the Club, no land trail apart from driving down Hwy 66.  As far as I know they need to stake it first.

I can't see the trail conditions on the FCMQ website but I heard they were not opening the trail into Ontario to A110Q this year.

EDIT:  I should either type faster or stop watching TV!  Pretty much what 14 snow said.

Archived