Is The Fat Lady Singing In Southern Ontario??

Diceman

In my opinion.....With this sport, if you live anywhere South of the Barrie Area, part of it is getting the trailer loaded up and heading North for "good" snow. 

If I had to rely on all of my riding being from my "back door" I wouldn't own a sled.  

I love the lead up to it all. 

Getting packed...loading the sleds the night before... the 3-4hr conversation in the truck driving North...seeing more and more snow the further North you go. 

I love visiting the smaller motels, and enjoying their hospitality.  I also love searching the ITG for our next adventure!!  Constantly looking for the Green.

All part of it!!

With the way the weather is in the "south", and the amount of Trails being taken away/rerouted for various reasons, I honestly think  you'll see closures in alot of Southern Districts eventually. 

I also think that the OFSC should be prioritizing their Groomer Fleet, and sending groomers to the areas where they're needed to help out. 

Again....just my opinion. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a ride out my back door guy living in the south I won't trailer to ride . Some years are good some great every year is different . For me when trails are open I'll ride if not it stays parked till next year I'm fine with that . Two years ago I did 6000km all in the south district 8 and 9 the year before that I did 0km no snow no trails  . I'm not one who sells there sled because of a bad season as the next season might be fantastic . Been buying a OFSC pass every year since 1995 .  

I'm a ride out my back door guy living in the south I won't trailer to ride . Some years are good some great every year is different . For me when trails are open I'll ride if not it stays parked till next year I'm fine with that . Two years ago I did 6000km all in the south district 8 and 9 the year before that I did 0km no snow no trails  . I'm not one who sells there sled because of a bad season as the next season might be fantastic . Been buying a OFSC pass every year since 1995 .  

I'm not quite like you but a very similar attitude. I leave the sleds at the lake for the season on the trailer and drive up from Toronto on the Saturday morning. Most years I pull them off the trailer and ride. In a poor snow season (rare that we have one like this) in our area I have trailered about  20 - 30 minutes north to find snow. I don't ever blame the clubs for not having trails open and don't even think of selling the sleds ever.

Whatever mother nature gives us, it is what it is and we can't change that.

In my opinion.....With this sport, if you live anywhere South of the Barrie Area, part of it is getting the trailer loaded up and heading North for "good" snow. 

If I had to rely on all of my riding being from my "back door" I wouldn't own a sled.  

Getting packed...loading the sleds the night before... the 3-4hr conversation in the truck driving North...seeing more and more snow the further North you go. 

I love visiting the smaller motels, and enjoying their hospitality.  I also love searching the ITG for our next adventure!!  Constantly looking for the Green.

All part of it!!

With the way the weather is in the "south", and the amount of Trails being taken away/rerouted for various reasons, I honestly think  you'll see closures in alot of Southern Districts eventually. 

I also think that the OFSC should be prioritizing their Groomer Fleet, and sending groomers to the areas where they're needed to help out. 

Some years the south has all the snow and guys are trailering down from the north to ride , we need both areas or on a off year there might be no where to ride . It was not too many years ago when we had more snow than Timmins and Cochrane .

A year like this is a good reason to go ride trails in other parts of the province I haven't been to before. Another bonus is the lower gas prices!!!

Several years ago, there was a forum member who planned a big trip in April.....I can't mention his name, but I'll give you his initials....STG...and that April turned out to be the best spring riding ever had in the many years people were keeping track of such things....unfortunately for our friend, his planned trip was to some gated warm tropical all you could eat and drink paradise......but the rest of us who drove north to ride the still open trails had a great time....

x2 same attitude

I think the south is toast for this year, just MO though. Definitely have to go where the snow is this year! Unfortunately not everybody has the time or funds to do this, so they have no choice but to just ride from home. It's definitely a luxury to have a newer sled, newer trailer, have the time and funds to be able to go on 2-3 day trips or even a week straight. Some guys can do it, some guys can't and are completely fine with it.

Like somebody else said, and I was just talking to a buddy about the very same thing today at work....you get to ride new areas, your almost forced too! Lol we've had almost 3 awesome winters in the south in a row and I rode the south a lot, I did a few northern trips but the south ended up getting boring! It's nice to see new places, different views, etc.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to do so. Very thankful for that! I'm fine with no snow in the south and 3-4 good trips per season, I always hope for more though! Lol and sometimes it is nice to just open up the garage door and go!

It is just as bad out here in Manitoba, go an hr west of here and grass everywhere , east is OK but still lacking only a foot or foot and half

I have been ice fishing more than riding

La Nina next yr so it should be great again :D

Yup dont think i have 50km this year ride from my house in central ontario. Dont mind trailering 30 minuts to bobcaygeon or kinmount but not chasing snow hours always next year

If we count this year as a bust that's only 2 out of the last 7 seasons that has been an issue for me. Even the other one 3 years ago, wasn't a complete loss. I could still trailer an hour north and ride all day with no issues.

But the 8 hour trailer run and 2 days away from home isn't a luxury I have. Mostly because pulling the sled that far with my Dart is out of the question.

But it is snowing out right now so maybe we'll end up with something this year. My biggest fear is the clubs calling it quits for the year, and packing up. Then a big dump hits an there is nothing in place to alow the trails to open.

If we count this year as a bust that's only 2 out of the last 7 seasons that has been an issue for me. Even the other one 3 years ago, wasn't a complete loss. I could still trailer an hour north and ride all day with no issues.

But the 8 hour trailer run and 2 days away from home isn't a luxury I have. Mostly because pulling the sled that far with my Dart is out of the question.

But it is snowing out right now so maybe we'll end up with something this year. My biggest fear is the clubs calling it quits for the year, and packing up. Then a big dump hits an there is nothing in place to alow the trails to open.

Oh c'mon, that dart has muscle! Lol. Ya I think the one were both thinking of is the 2012-2013 season when we got dumped on at the end of January and it turned out to be a great season!

Oh c'mon, that dart has muscle! Lol. Ya I think the one were both thinking of is the 2012-2013 season when we got dumped on at the end of January and it turned out to be a great season!

Oh its got lots of muscle, it's the stopping I worry more about. I've considered putting electric brakes on my trail. I'm sure I'd own the only Dart on the planet with a trailer brake controller installed in it.

Dart is a 6 speed manual, wife can't drive it, and has no interest learning how. Which I don't blame her, with the 6speed,you never seem to be in the right gear and are always shifting. So the next car is going to be an automatic, that way I can just take the wife's Journey to oull the sled around and she can drive my car.

Back on topic....

The Weather Nitwits are saying 40+cms over a 6 day run starting Family day... Last time they made a call like that, it end up turning to rain.

been snowmobiling since 1977 and have seen good, great and bad seasons.

Yup this is a bad one.......oh well

There is always next season.

been snowmobiling since 1977 and have seen good, great and bad seasons.

Yup this is a bad one.......oh well

There is always next season.

Plus there's atv season ahead as well .

Plus there's atv season ahead as well .

Ya I'd love to head up your way for for some atving this year.

Ya I'd love to head up your way for for some atving this year.

Come up to kearney for the spring atv poker

Run .April 26. Usually around 350 bikes

Come up to kearney for the spring atv poker

Run .April 26. Usually around 350 bikes

Ya I know about that one just don't have a ate riding buddy to go with

dont need one ,just show up and ride ,lots of single riders there ,been going to this one for years ,huge fundraiser for sled and atv trail repairs 

Here's what I mean....with the way the snow is, lots of places that usually have Vacancies are seeing full hotels.  

That being said, I've spent a good part of the day with my ridding partner planning our Destination based on Open Trails and Vacant Hotels.  

I love it!  

Now, we'll spend the next week (in addition to work/families/etc) planning the routes we'll take for the week, plan the drive up, etc.  It's 6 days away, but I'll be like a kid at Christmas waiting for that day to come.  

That to me....is what sledding is all about!  

All part of it!!

All may not be lost....

Lower pressure system moving in this after noon and tonight expected to bring some real winter weather, for eastern Ontario.

Weather Nitwits saying 3cms today, 5-10 over night and 15-25 tomorrow for me. With higher amounts to the east. Kingston to Ottawa are looking at 45+cm...

Now we know how well they can't for cast snow. But this is a 24-36 hour forcast, normally hard to really screw that up.

its never too late for a good snow dump

All may not be lost....

Lower pressure system moving in this after noon and tonight expected to bring some real winter weather, for eastern Ontario.

Weather Nitwits saying 3cms today, 5-10 over night and 15-25 tomorrow for me. With higher amounts to the east. Kingston to Ottawa are looking at 45+cm...

Now we know how well they can't for cast snow. But this is a 24-36 hour forcast, normally hard to really screw that up.

Oh they will screw it up , few days ago they had Owen Sound getting a possible 30 cm within 48 hours and we might of got 5cm.  

Good 6-8 inches on the ground already amd still falling...

Ground is rock hard so maybe we'll be riding this weekend some some limited capacity..

20160216_095553.jpg

Archived