HAS ANYONE EVER DONE THIS?

blown corner

Going CRAZY maybe a bit. Anyways i know it has been done and was wondering if anyone could chime in possibly on the cost of shipping sleds up to say cochrane on a transport flatbed or train? Was thinking like 12 sleds...If I have that many sleddin buddies left after this mess of a season! Thanks.

It's been done before, I know I saw a bunch get trucked up here for a similar situation.  You can search the Cochrane yellow pages online, or call a few Cochrane truck haulage shops, and ask them if they're doing a milk run they could put a bunch of sleds on the flatbed.  Don't know of any trucking companies there, but it's not out of the question.

Can't gather up enough vehicles/trailers, or just looking for an alternative ?

Why would you put them on a flatbed. Put them in a van trailer and keep them clean. Some vans are wide enough inside that you could put them side by side and get 10 sleds in a 53' Van.

J&R Hall shipped my buddies ATV from Calgary back to Ayr.. Ive also used ProNorth Transport to move a sled from Hearst to Mississauga last winter.

Just call and ask for a "LTL" Rate and they should be able to help you out.

Yes was just looking for alternative as compared to hauling with a few trucks and trailers. And yes I would ask for enclosed. Lol unless the cleaning staff would clean at the motel! I 'll give J&R a call. Thanks guys. I'm from Niagara. Wainfleet. But don't tell anyone. LOL

Yes was just looking for alternative as compared to hauling with a few trucks and trailers. And yes I would ask for enclosed. Lol unless the cleaning staff would clean at the motel! I 'll give J&R a call. Thanks guys. I'm from Niagara. Wainfleet. But don't tell anyone. LOL

Hey blown corner could you pm me some info once you find out.  I'm from Fonthill and one of my friends from the USA was just asking about this. Thanks

trailer to the soo, put them on the train there. or trailer to the soo, and ride up. :D Ski

trailer to the soo, put them on the train there. or trailer to the soo, and ride up. :D Ski

shhh everyone. Heads to cochrane and misses the beautiful trails of wawa and dub and hornepayne area. Do you think you can make it from Elliot lake to dub in a day. Interactive guide was showing about 400 Km's. Not sure what the terrain is like on the F trail.

Just call and ask for a "LTL" Rate and they should be able to help you out.

10 or 12 sleds is a truckload and the truckload rate is normally better that the "LTL"(less than truckload) rate would be.

shhh everyone. Heads to cochrane and misses the beautiful trails of wawa and dub and hornepayne area. Do you think you can make it from Elliot lake to dub in a day. Interactive guide was showing about 400 Km's. Not sure what the terrain is like on the F trail.

would be a BIG DAY, albeit a beautiful day. :D  Elliot lake to halfway haven would be doable for sure. it would be another 80 miles (miles not km's) to wawa proper. ac/ya would have more info on your question. I am sure he will chime in. Ski

• 1 year later...

Passed a transport this afternoon on the 35/115. Class 8 tractor (black) w/ an empty flat deck. The tractor had 1 of these plates on the front bumper so the owner must be a sledder:

so_graphic_licence_ont06_023212.png

I think the name was Scott Cannon or Gannon, definitely from Fenelon Falls. May be a contact if looking for shipping.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 8:39 PM, skidooboy said:

would be a BIG DAY, albeit a beautiful day. :D  Elliot lake to halfway haven would be doable for sure. it would be another 80 miles (miles not km's) to wawa proper. ac/ya would have more info on your question. I am sure he will chime in. Ski

We never did it last season, but the year prior my daughter and I left Dub at 2:oo pm and ate a late dinner and stayed at Aubrey Falls Trading Post which is only a couple hours from Elliot Lake.  Dunlop Lake Lodge is a half hour closer than the city of Elliot Lake and many start from there.

If the trail is good it would be a good trip, but some don't like to go that far in a day.  Black Creek/Aubrey Falls (gas) to Halfway Haven (gas) is the longest stretch. 

On 2/3/2016 at 4:24 PM, Viperules700 said:

Do you think you can make it from Elliot lake to dub in a day. Interactive guide was showing about 400 Km's. Not sure what the terrain is like on the F trail.

Luv My Viper once told me he did it. Ask him. He said more than that "I'm a p*ssy for stopping in Chapleau, and not continuing to D'ville; he's the best, blah blah ... " lol).

The washout to the north of Aubrey Falls and south of HH (last year's washout) is something to keep in mind.

I get you. You don't want to stop in HH or Wawa. Start at Dunlop Lake Lodge, 'tho - it'll easily save you an hour as you head north ( as mentioned above). No gas onsite at Dunlop. 

4 hours ago, Canuck said:

Luv My Viper once told me he did it. Ask him. He said more than that "I'm a p*ssy for stopping in Chapleau, and not continuing to D'ville; he's the best, blah blah ... " lol).

The washout to the north of Aubrey Falls and south of HH (last year's washout) is something to keep in mind.

I get you. You don't want to stop in HH or Wawa. Start at Dunlop Lake Lodge, 'tho - it'll easily save you an hour as you head north ( as mentioned above). No gas onsite at Dunlop. 

I miss riding with him. He was a fun guy to ride with. Hopefully he will get a sled again and get back out there :) 

There is suppose to be a fix for the washout. Hopefully it gets done, since it is a major tourist trail. If not have to plan to go to the soo first. 

From what we hear in Elliot Lake is that the washout hasn't been fixed and there are 3 more on the Domtar road since and there are no plans by the Soo club to fix them.

23 hours ago, Elliotgroomer said:

From what we hear in Elliot Lake is that the washout hasn't been fixed and there are 3 more on the Domtar road since and there are no plans by the Soo club to fix them.

Thanks for the Update. Not what us touring sledders want to here. Have to see what happens when the season starts to open, but I won't count on this trail especially if it is a mild winter again.

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 1:01 PM, Elliotgroomer said:

The D201F was a great loop trail for the Soo Club when Halfway Haven closed and the D Trail north was then closed.  Without it, there was only the D Trail east which then split at the D106 to head out of the Soo and join the trail system.

The F trail north to Chapleau from Aubrey Falls has since closed so the D201F is a vital link to connect and be able to link north to south and east.  The connection east can still be done without the D201F by using the D trail, but at the cost of lots of extra distance and fear of running out of fuel because Searchmont has since lost its fueling station.  If fuel was available in Searchmont it would only be a 3 to 4 hour addition from Halfway to Elliot Lake vs. the D201F connection.  The choices after Searchmont include D trail, D100, and D106 all going to the east, but fuel, time, and trail conditions may likely force overnighting somewhere and ending most touring from the east to the north.

NOT fixing the D201F KILLS lots of touring for people trying to start from Elliot Lake and makes a 3 -5 day trip north unlikely.

Does the OFSC promote continuity and keeping the trail open or is this D201F going to be lost due to letting nature take it away?  The D201F gets used like crazy when it is in good shape, but washouts can scare people away and who really is trying to keep it open?  Not fixing or re-routing to keep the system whole will surly hurt Halfway Haven and without them, the system is really broken and the D Trail dies AGAIN.

I hope it all gets worked out because I love all the Soo trails as those of Elliot Lake.  The D201F was the reason the F trail could be retired without loss of traffic to Chapleau and Wawa from Elliot. 

Great post.  Definitely a topic to watch. 

Elliot Lake is one if our favorite places to start from. SSM is a close second, but the distance from GTA makes EL perfect. 

it seems like the touring sledders, halfway haven, the soo club, the Elliot lake club, the wawa and chapleau clubs, AND ALL LOCAL COMMUNITIES AFFECTED BY A CLOSURE OF THIS TRAIL, WILL HAVE TO JOIN FORCES, to get the ofsc, mto, mnr to get these washouts fixed. without support, and working together, this trail will close, halfway will close again, and the D trail will be lost again. effectively cutting off the soo, Elliott lake, and their riders from traveling north by sled. also this puts a HUGE hole between the north of lake huron system, with the northeast of superior system, hurting all communities along the ofsc top trail system in the northern corridor region. Ski

4 hours ago, skidooboy said:

it seems like the touring sledders, halfway haven, the soo club, the Elliot lake club, the wawa and chapleau clubs, AND ALL LOCAL COMMUNITIES AFFECTED BY A CLOSURE OF THIS TRAIL, WILL HAVE TO JOIN FORCES, to get the ofsc, mto, mnr to get these washouts fixed. without support, and working together, this trail will close, halfway will close again, and the D trail will be lost again. effectively cutting off the soo, Elliott lake, and their riders from traveling north by sled. also this puts a HUGE hole between the north of lake huron system, with the northeast of superior system, hurting all communities along the ofsc top trail system in the northern corridor region. Ski

You left out the Ministry of Tourism. They're always promoting the 'wonderful' snowmobiling opportunities in the province. Too bad the 3 ministries involved couldn't get on the same page & work together.

I'm waiting for the publicity and communications arm of the OFSC to weigh in on this before making up my mind. No doubt they are aware and are coming up with some good ideas.

23 hours ago, slomo said:

I'm waiting for the publicity and communications arm of the OFSC to weigh in on this before making up my mind. No doubt they are aware and are coming up with some good ideas.

Promoting the famous local snow tours no doubt. I bet maps are being printed soon once again. Since the tour takes a left turn at f and d106 intersection, no need for d201F. It isn't part of the prescribed tour. My understanding is these trails receive priority for grooming, repairs, signage, etc. Most of these famous loops they are promoting are one to two day rides. Be nice if the big loop would be part of a priority tour too, but can't see that happening. 

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 7:06 AM, Viperules700 said:

Promoting the famous local snow tours no doubt. I bet maps are being printed soon once again. Since the tour takes a left turn at f and d106 intersection, no need for d201F. It isn't part of the prescribed tour. My understanding is these trails receive priority for grooming, repairs, signage, etc. Most of these famous loops they are promoting are one to two day rides. Be nice if the big loop would be part of a priority tour too, but can't see that happening. 

Not sure where you get your understanding from but prescribed signage is supposed to be the done the same all over the province.

Archived