Ontario GPS maps

snomopc

Make sure you get a class 10 card as well. Anything else and you could run in to some errors.

OK I'll make sure I get a class 10. Is that to do with the speed or the quality? Both? I didn't get a chance to get out and get it on Saturday. I'll get one tomorrow.

Thanks Guys

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK I'll make sure I get a class 10. Is that to do with the speed or the quality? Both? I didn't get a chance to get out and get it on Saturday. I'll get one tomorrow.

Thanks Guys

Yes its a speed rating.

Do I need to erase what I aready did? Loading staight to the Garmin?

Yup, but that's a little more trickier, I'm not a basecamp user so I'll let someone else walk you though that part. 

OK sounds good Andrey I'll get a card today and try it.

I would avoid using Andreys mapset...he may have a licensed copy of the City Navigator North America, Topo, Blue Chart and OFSC maps but you would be in violation of Garmin's and TrakMaps licensing agreement by using them.  And unless he broke the locking code they will not work on your GPS.

If you don't need it right away I'm working on an updated which should be ready for the weekend or early next week.

Great news, is the update ready?

Thanks.

Yes its a speed rating.

Yup, but that's a little more trickier, I'm not a basecamp user so I'll let someone else walk you though that part. 

OK Dave I guess I need to go to a Garmin website to find basecamp stuff. I wish I would have known that before. Amazing how we did fine without this stuff back in the day. It sure can be an aid if you can get it all working.

Thanks Tim

Great news, is the update ready?

Thanks.

No sadly :(

I'm having issues getting the map to format correctly. I keep getting a double set of tracks, one correct and one with about half the data points for the Top Trail routes. I've had this issues before just trying to remeber what I did to correct it last time.

No sadly :(

I'm having issues getting the map to format correctly. I keep getting a double set of tracks, one correct and one with about half the data points for the Top Trail routes. I've had this issues before just trying to remeber what I did to correct it last time.

check in the .mp file to see if there are double polylines for the problem Top Trail routes.... zoom in real close and if there are doubles you'll see it easily.

btw...I'll gladly create a MAC installer

check in the .mp file to see if there are double polylines for the problem Top Trail routes.... zoom in real close and if there are doubles you'll see it easily.

btw...I'll gladly create a MAC installer

No, it's all clean, actually think it might just be me. I remember this before, all the loading and unloading of maps along with the software crashes, from the size of the the file. Screws up the regfile Mapsource and BaseCamp share. Going to try the installer on one of the other PCs and see what happens.

Hopefully I can look at it some night this week and find out for sure.

Something else I have figured out is how to change the look of the trail name labeling. Instead of just words next to it, I can add something like a hwy road sign look to it. But that's for later...

Thanks in advance for the Mac installer. I'll PM you the file once I've got it working.

...Going to try the installer on one of the other PCs and see what happens...

I could load it tonight and see how it works

Something else I have figured out is how to change the look of the trail name labeling. Instead of just words next to it, I can add something like a hwy road sign look to it...

I tried that. Only works well if the names are 3 or 4 characters. 

What program do you use to create your map dweese?

There is a long list....

Start with Garmin Mapsource or BaseCamp to wsit and clean up all the tracks and way points.. I'm not a fan of BaseCamp so I still us Mapsource. That creates the master file which you can download right now.

From there, using Mapsource again, I strip out all the waypoints in thier own groups, gas, lodging, parking and so on. I break the trails down in to Top, Feeder, and club trails.

Then it's over to a program called GPS Map edit where you add all those files created in Mapsource back in one at a time and convert them to lines or points and assign each a type or icon and set what you want displayed at each zoom level and the range for that level.

You export out of Map edit to a Garmin format file using cGPSMapper which runs as a DOS window from GPS Map edit export command. That takes about 8 minutes for my computer to crunch that out.

There is a 4th program I can't remeber the name of, but it creates a text file that allows you to change colors of the line groups using the HEX code for colors. But you only need to ever build that once.

Once you have all that worked out, it's over to MapSetToolKit which creates all the need files for a Gamin GPS and sets line colors and so on from the text file created in the step before this one.

Once all that is done, it's over to and I can't remember it's name. But a install creator software that alows you to write am installer script to add required regfile entries in Windows so that your Garmin software sees it all.

Now you have a ready to install Garmin MapSet you just need to send to a zip file and upload here...

Thankfully I had a good teacher in Reved who started this project years ago and did 90% of the leg work and supplied me with everything I needed and answered any questions Ive had.

This year has taken the most amount of work. There has to be 700kms+ of new or rerouted trails, which has taken 30 hours of work to put together and I'm still not done.

I can't imagine the hundreds of hours Reved put in to this to get it to where I took it over.

It sounds like a lot, but the software listed is all free.. You can get one stop shopping software from Garmin but it's around a $1000 a year in user and licensing fees.

Those are the same programs I have used as well... very tedious...and frustrating (numerous errors, max memory and timeouts).  I'm so glad you are doing this  :lol:

I have used imgfromgpx, very quick and easy.  It just isn't as detailed as the GPSEdit program is, but does the job for a quick install.  http://www.javawa.nl/imgfromgpx_en.html

There is a long list....

Start with Garmin Mapsource or BaseCamp to wsit and clean up all the tracks and way points.. I'm not a fan of BaseCamp so I still us Mapsource. That creates the master file which you can download right now.

From there, using Mapsource again, I strip out all the waypoints in thier own groups, gas, lodging, parking and so on. I break the trails down in to Top, Feeder, and club trails.

Then it's over to a program called GPS Map edit where you add all those files created in Mapsource back in one at a time and convert them to lines or points and assign each a type or icon and set what you want displayed at each zoom level and the range for that level.

You export out of Map edit to a Garmin format file using cGPSMapper which runs as a DOS window from GPS Map edit export command. That takes about 8 minutes for my computer to crunch that out.

There is a 4th program I can't remeber the name of, but it creates a text file that allows you to change colors of the line groups using the HEX code for colors. But you only need to ever build that once.

Once you have all that worked out, it's over to MapSetToolKit which creates all the need files for a Gamin GPS and sets line colors and so on from the text file created in the step before this one.

Once all that is done, it's over to and I can't remember it's name. But a install creator software that alows you to write am installer script to add required regfile entries in Windows so that your Garmin software sees it all.

Now you have a ready to install Garmin MapSet you just need to send to a zip file and upload here...

Thankfully I had a good teacher in Reved who started this project years ago and did 90% of the leg work and supplied me with everything I needed and answered any questions Ive had.

This year has taken the most amount of work. There has to be 700kms+ of new or rerouted trails, which has taken 30 hours of work to put together and I'm still not done.

I can't imagine the hundreds of hours Reved put in to this to get it to where I took it over.

It sounds like a lot, but the software listed is all free.. You can get one stop shopping software from Garmin but it's around a $1000 a year in user and licensing fees.

Those are basically the same programs I use to create my maps...Mapsource, registered cGPSmapper (makes routable maps), registered GPSMapEdit, MapSetToolKit, GenTYP, TYPViewer, Inno Setup with most of those programs having a steep learning curve.

For the person who wants to make some basic maps for themselves there is a real easy program to use/learn called GPX2IMG

...There has to be 700kms+ of new or rerouted trails, which has taken 30 hours of work to put together and I'm still not done.

I can't imagine the hundreds of hours Reved put in to this to get it to where I took it over...

This is why I buy the OFSC version. I put in the work when there was no option but now for $40 (half price) I get my life back.  :D

I do appreciate more than most the work you have been doing on this. Thank you

The one down side is, I do not know the trails the way I used too.

So since everyone has used the same software before... Any ideas what's going on here?

This is what it looks like in Map Source and Base Camp.. the extra straight lines shouldn't be there.. They aren't in my file in GPSMapEdit, they are showing up somewhere in the export process..

GPS%20problem.jpg

So since everyone has used the same software before... Any ideas what's going on here?

This is what it looks like in Map Source and Base Camp.. the extra straight lines shouldn't be there.. They aren't in my file in GPSMapEdit, they are showing up somewhere in the export process..

GPS%20problem.jpg

MapSetToolKit>Options

did you have Blank overview maps checked...you want it checked so the preview map doesn't show up in Mapsource/BaseCamp...which is what you are seeing on your map (the straighter trail lines)  When the map is uploaded to your GPS those lines won't show.  If you reinstall the map to Mapsource with the Blank overview maps checked these line won't show up.  After you install the new map open Mapsource and hit Ctrl G twice to flush the map cache.

I figured it out, had to set the map transparent to with transparent background.. and hit CTRL+G twice to clear the map-source buffers.. Google is a great things sometime, even for topics from 2009

Success... Map is built just sent to a few people for testing on their end... 

Success... Map is built just sent to a few people for testing on their end... 

the test map you sent is still showing remnants of the preview map (labels)...

Labels showing from preview map

Trail%20Map_zpsab2wdltq.jpg

press ctrl G and you see the preview map

BaseMap_zpsdxqlks1x.jpg

do an install with the Blank overview map check box marked in MapSetToolKit and you'll get rid of the preview map

before MapSetToolKit came on the scene the way to prevent the preview map from showing all those squiggly lines in Mapsource was to create an extra zoom level in GpsMapEdit and put a very short polyline in it

changing the type of background transparency of the map does not get rid of the preview map

...before MapSetToolKit came on the scene the way to prevent the preview map from showing all those squiggly lines in Mapsource was to create an extra zoom level in GpsMapEdit and put a very short polyline in it

changing the type of background transparency of the map does not get rid of the preview map

The last time I made the map I used the extra zoom level. I looks like you have deleted it. Try what rws suggested.

Thanks guys, I'll look at that tonight if I can..

What's the extra zoom level your talking about? Are you saying, the minimum level should have nothing but just one short little line,and as I add everything else to make sure it's not displaying in that level?

Thanks guys, I'll look at that tonight if I can..

What's the extra zoom level your talking about? Are you saying, the minimum level should have nothing but just one short little line,and as I add everything else to make sure it's not displaying in that level?

that's correct...but since MapSetToolKit has the option to take care of the preview map it is not necessary

all you have to do is re-install your current map into Mapsource with the "Blank overview map" selected and then create your Windows installer...wallla you're done.

PS

just a thought...I noticed the top 3 zoom levels of the map do not have polylines (trails) on them...just points (club houses cell towers etc).  The trails will show better detail on the GPS when zoomed in if you have those levels filled.

Hummm.. I'll have to look at that. The top 3 levels should only have top and feeder trails, kind of like a decludder setting.

Archived