Elliot Lake - Blind River - Iron Bridge - Thessalon - Bruce Mines

Dan-Senior

We sledded Iron Bridge and Blind River last night via OFSC trail, then rode right up to Tim Horton's along the town's highway 17 snowmobile route.  The Huron-Central Railway train pulled up beside us.  The Engineer got out and ran across the street and picked up a cup of coffee at Timmy's .  Don't you just love the freedom and flexibility of small towns!

Trails were in remarkably good shape based on the limited amount of snow. The BR3 'River Run' is not officially open, but there sure is significant traffic.  Too many have dipped into the cold water over the years.  Better safe than sorry. The groomer was out earlier in the day on the trails and with -16 temps into the evening, made for a solid bite for the carbides to grip.  We hope to ride Bruce Mines to Elliot Lake soon.

The stretch from Iron Bridge to Blind River was in great shape.  Keep a lookout for 2 spots of shallow water crossings.

The Iron Bridge Arena is a great place to stage with the trail right at your doorstep and 2 fuel stations as well, Esso and Shell.  Price was 96.5.

This is great news Dan!  I am happy to hear as our group of SledHeads is scheduled to head that way on the 15th for a few days of sledding in the area.  We rode those trails a number of years ago, however, we are looking forward to heading back that way this year!!!  We will be staying at Dunlop Lake Lodge north of Elliot Lake  I look forward to your trail report after your ride up to EL today :D

Fantastic Giddy Up.  Dunlop Lake is one of our favourite riding areas, especially Dunlop Lake Lodge and the 'Dunlop Burger'.  Damn, now you have me craving for one of those burgers.  

Fantastic Giddy Up.  Dunlop Lake is one of our favourite riding areas, especially Dunlop Lake Lodge and the 'Dunlop Burger'.  Damn, now you have me craving for one of those burgers.  

Great to hear!!!  We have never stayed there before - but reviews looked good!  I will have let the gang know of your recommendations on the "Dunlop burger"!   I am looking forward to heading that way again - the scenery is always beautiful up that way!  Pics please if you have any from your ride today :D

• 2 weeks later...

We sledded most of south Algoma this past weekend including the likes of Bruce Mines, Thessalon, Iron Bridge, Blind River, Elliot Lake, Spanish, Massey and Espanola.  Some of the notable stops were Bobbers in Bruce Mines, Dunlop Lake Lodge in Elliot Lake and Tim Hortons in Espanola.  A great time had by all. 

Our 1 Minute Video Summary

https://youtu.be/cJa7QplmGls

Nice. The night shots even looked nice. Thanks

Nice. The night shots even looked nice. Thanks

Located between Elliot Lake and Iron Bridge, this is our planned annual Cross-Country Lake-Hop scheduled for next weekend.  

We added Lower Mace and Keelor Lakes to the route to make it a Figure 8. Hopefully, we can get through as this is new territory for us through the river system.

Some photos attached from last year's trip.

post-22452-0-81727000-1455322342_thumb.png

post-22452-0-10130400-1455322370_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-38097400-1455322385_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-87663100-1455322400_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-29999700-1455322410_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-33650800-1455322543_thumb.jpg

I was in Elliot Lake today and took some video footage of snow in the City.  Not record-breaking, however, it looks like a good winter for them. Here's the 13 second video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccgtTju0rMM

We stayed at Dunlop Lake Lodge this week. Rode Tuesday up the F to Black Creek. Rode Wednesday down the D from Dunlop Lake to Blind River to Iron Bridge then back on th Powerline.

Some pics.post-19895-0-62529100-1455856047_thumb.jpg

post-19895-0-32972700-1455856081_thumb.jpg

post-19895-0-61275500-1455856113_thumb.jpg

post-19895-0-65382600-1455856135_thumb.jpg

The owners of Dunlop Lake Lodge were great.

sweet pics,we are starting a trip from there next wk...is it tuff to find by road at nite with no help from co-pilot or navaigator...as this is a all-inclusive pkg...seems those without a steering wheel in front of them seem to commandeer the conversation,repeat themselves & become annoying...at least that's what bill said

The Lodge is easy enough to find. GPS took me right there.

One thing to keep in mind is the parking lot is a bit limited. Its tight and on a hill so getting turned around with a big trailer can be a challenge depending on conditions and how many trailers are already there..

I parked my truck and trailer at the boat launch parking area up the highway and rode my sled across the lake back to the lodge.

One thing to keep in mind is the parking lot is a

bit limited. Its tight and on a hill so getting turned

around with a big trailer can be a challenge

depending on conditions and how many trailers

are already there..

I parked my truck and trailer at the boat launch parking area up the highway and rode my sled

across the lake back to the lodge.

Can you park for a few days at the boat launch? I was thinking of going to the Hampton, since they have lots of parking.

Trails look great BlackStar.  Nice photos and thanks for sharing.  

Dan

One thing to keep in mind is the parking lot is a bit limited. Its tight and on a hill so getting turned around with a big trailer can be a challenge depending on conditions and how many trailers are already there..

I parked my truck and trailer at the boat launch parking area up the highway and rode my sled across the lake back to the lodge.

after resort didn't answer e-mail back,i called & place is packed.1st on waiting list now,booked at Hampton.hope we get in Dunlop though...

after resort didn't answer e-mail back,i called & place is packed.1st on waiting list now,booked at Hampton.hope we get in Dunlop though...

We stayed at the Hampton, It wasn't that bad, a little tricky to find it from the trail, but McDonalds is very close lol...Have fun White Dragon!!!

We stayed at the Hampton, It wasn't that bad, a little tricky to find it from the trail, but McDonalds is very close lol...Have fun White Dragon!!!

thx nunz,you guys have fun in Quebec.we'll compare notes on return....

thx nunz,you guys have fun in Quebec.we'll compare notes on return....

Sounds good!!! I will be sure to keep the Extreme 600 team in check!!! lol....Saw hi to Lilly for us, and Bill and Carter of course....

I called at 8 am. Only Monday Tuesday and Friday available at Dunlop. I am heading over to the Hampton too, easier trailer parking anyway.

I called at 8 am. Only Monday Tuesday and Friday available at Dunlop. I am heading over to the Hampton too, easier trailer parking anyway.

when are you coming up ? maybe ride along with us

Arriving Tuesday and leaving later Friday, maybe Saturday if trails are nice. Just doing day loops, never rode area before. Meet you for a drink and dip in the pool, a ride up to dunlop for supper, is doable. You Just doing day rides or going up to wawa?

Arriving Tuesday and leaving later Friday, maybe Saturday if trails are nice. Just doing day loops, never rode area before. Meet you for a drink and dip in the pool, a ride up to dunlop for supper, is doable. You Just doing day rides or going up to wawa?

be there wed nite,hope by 8.leaving thurs morning towards d'ville.meet for drink wed nite.you buyin ?

After this warm weekend what are the snow conditions like south of Elliot Lake? Looking to do a 3 day loop towards the end of the week, Sudbury, Blind River, Elliot Lake (Via Echo Bay and Aubrey Falls) and back to Sudbury. Anyone with first hand knowledge?

Hey Blackstar! Nice to have met you and Dianah at Dunlop Lake Lodge...I didn't realize you were an OC'er! Great place, great food, great trails! We will be back next year and wished we stayed longer!

Giddy UP!

Archived