Billie bear

toddszr600

I thought I read somewhere in a post I now can not find that there has been some work around, at least partially, for Billie bear rd, did I dream this?  if not does anyone have any details as it would be nice in a low snow year.

Cheers, Todd

Thanks!! We were trying to figure that out yesterday where the re-route was.

This is the report I had gotten earlier this month:

We also packed the new trail that will take us from Dotty Lake to Billie Bear Rd. eliminating about 6kms of road running. Plenty of snow there.

First of all, I would not advocate that anybody ride that trail until the club has staked the lake!  How many times do they have to tell people not to ride on lakes that are not staked as they are still deemed UNSAFE!  I certainly hope that those that see the map first check to make sure that lake trail is staked before heading out onto the ice - even if there are sled tracks out there does NOT mean that it is safe to ride.  Too many sleds going through the ice this year!!

I am from this area - and I KNOW that the clubs are only staklng the lakes once they are completely safe -  Ice conditions are so weird and varied this year - just because one section is 8" thick - does not mean it is consistent the entire lake.  PLEASE know before you GO!  

I for one would love to see that long stretch of Billie Bear shortened up with less road rash....I will be riding this stretch next week.  HOWEVER, I certainly will not be taking the new re-route until the club deems it safe and the lake is staked.  

JMO

First of all, I would not advocate that anybody ride that trail until the club has staked the lake!  How many times do they have to tell people not to ride on lakes that are not staked as they are still deemed UNSAFE!  I certainly hope that those that see the map first check to make sure that lake trail is staked before heading out onto the ice - even if there are sled tracks out there does NOT mean that it is safe to ride.  Too many sleds going through the ice this year!!

I am from this area - and I KNOW that the clubs are only staklng the lakes once they are completely safe -  Ice conditions are so weird and varied this year - just because one section is 8" thick - does not mean it is consistent the entire lake.  PLEASE know before you GO!  

I for one would love to see that long stretch of Billie Bear shortened up with less road rash....I will be riding this stretch next week.  HOWEVER, I certainly will not be taking the new re-route until the club deems it safe and the lake is staked.  

JMO

X2 just because some 150 lb kid on a light 2 stroke sled doing 100 kph made it across and left tracks doesn't mean the 220 lb guy on the 4 stroke sled doing 60 kph will. Add to it the concept that it will never happen to me

X2 just because some 150 lb kid on a light 2 stroke sled doing 100 kph made it across and left tracks doesn't mean the 220 lb guy on the 4 stroke sled doing 60 kph will. Add to it the concept that it will never happen to me

X3, 02...well-said.  

Don't people watch or listen to the (recent) news???  Is it really worth risking your life to take unstaked lake shortcuts given the wildly inconsistent ice conditions this season?  The report in another thread about running Dwight Bay on Lake of Bays just gives me shivers...that is a cold, deep and unforgiving lake.  We went by Dwight Bay on Trail 77 Friday, and there were 2 or 3 fresh sets of tracks heading straight out into the bay from the beach...they left behind some ugly-looking slush spots near shore...no thanks!

Go help the club if you don't like the trail conditions rockerdan. I'm sure you don't mind some mud on that pretty little sled.

FB_IMG_1454217539239.jpg

FB_IMG_1454217544114.jpg

I hope I don't offend anybody with this post, as I recognize the danger of traveling on frozen lakes.

Having said that, I wouldn't say Dan needs to be advised to get off his ass. He has mentioned before that he's offered help to the local club, but they feel they have everything covered.

He calls conditions as he sees them, and isn't trying to push anybody to do anything outside their comfort zone. He seems to operate on the theory that information leads to knowledge, and knowledge leads to safety.

I agree that we don't want to encourage people to do anything unsafe, but the definition of "safe" can vary quite a bit, depending on experience and how things are done. Some people are quite comfortable sledding over open water, for example, but its not for everyone. Some people deliberately plan and enjoy overnight winter trips in isolated locations. Not for everyone. Dan's reporting is the first and most accurate every winter for Mary Lake in Port Sydney. He does his own systematic testing, and lets us know the ice quality and thickness down to the inch. I feel safe when I see lake stakes installed by trusted and responsible club volunteers, but there are a great many lakes that are never staked, yet quite safe to travel if you are able to verify ice conditions.

Dan has expertise about many things snowmobile related, including lesser known trail routes and mechanical modifications. Information that is not easy to find. I have found him generous in sharing his knowledge via pm. If you check other forums, he offers a ton of solid reviews and advice about mechanical modifications to snowmobiles.

I hope he reposts his map of the Dotty Lake route, as soon as the club has staked the lake.

He bashed a grass roots club that's been maintaining trails in his area for 45 years. I didn't like it. Sorry if I come off quick to conclusions.

Reevester I don't think you're in the wrong. HGR has done a great job over the years and is a fine club in my opinion.

Reevester I don't think you're in the wrong. HGR has done a great job over the years and is a fine club in my opinion.

Im talking about Du-Ya-Wanna as well. Im over it he deleted his post. Maybe we'll ride together when i'm up over family day weekend. Plan on going out with DWY if they need a hand on the Friday so maybe he can tag along. 

considering all of the clubs are run by VOLUNTEERS and the trails exist thanks to the efforts of the volunteers THEY HAVE ALL DONE A GREAT JOB and NOBODY has a right to slam the club or the VOLUNTEERS. Imagine telling a volunteer they aren't giving enough of their time for free and demanding they need to give more.

Thank you thank you to all of the clubs and all of the volunteers for the work they do so that everyone else can ride.

considering all of the clubs are run by VOLUNTEERS and the trails exist thanks to the efforts of the volunteers THEY HAVE ALL DONE A GREAT JOB and NOBODY has a right to slam the club or the VOLUNTEERS. Imagine telling a volunteer they aren't giving enough of their time for free and demanding they need to give more.

Thank you thank you to all of the clubs and all of the volunteers for the work they do so that everyone else can ride.

Considering the lack of snow I felt that the trails were fantastic this weekend. ASC and Tall Pines are exceptional clubs and a big thank you for making this happen

Ive known the gang ovet at DYW for longer then much have you have been alive,LOL. And this was in no way pointed at them.  It was pointed at HGR this season, as there have been many changes at the top which have resulted in the slow start. DYW has a ton of swamps and I know that better then anyone, D trail is never easy.

I have tried to get involved with HGR for over 20 yrs now, I live in their backyard, yet they dont want anyone touching their equipment. I have brushed and chainsawed trail 52 dozens of times every early season so they can get the groomer down without more work.

Blake I appreciate the kind words, but this is exactly why i stopped posting over here last season. It seems everyone wants INFO about the area who is down south, but as soon as I post "MY EXPERIENCE" its always bashed or not politically correct for some locals. My aim is to help the guys who ride here but dont live here.

For anyone else interested, I now post mostly only on DooTalk in the Ontario section, about the areas where I ride.  Its an odd crowd over here, cant quite figure it out.  

Dan

Ive known the gang ovet at DYW for longer then much have you have been alive,LOL. And this was in no way pointed at them.  It was pointed at HGR this season, as there have been many changes at the top which have resulted in the slow start. DYW has a ton of swamps and I know that better then anyone, D trail is never easy.

I have tried to get involved with HGR for over 20 yrs now, I live in their backyard, yet they dont want anyone touching their equipment. I have brushed and chainsawed trail 52 dozens of times every early season so they can get the groomer down without more work.

Blake I appreciate the kind words, but this is exactly why i stopped posting over here last season. It seems everyone wants INFO about the area who is down south, but as soon as I post "MY EXPERIENCE" its always bashed or not politically correct for some locals. My aim is to help the guys who ride here but dont live here.

For anyone else interested, I now post mostly only on DooTalk in the Ontario section, about the areas where I ride.  Its an odd crowd over here, cant quite figure it out.  

Dan

Things should change at HGR next year I would imagine maybe not for the better if they are upset about having the amalgamate with MSR. 

If they don't want or appreciate the help go help another club close by. I really enjoy your posts and first hand knowledge please don't stop posting here, my butthurt is over.  :cheers:

Its an odd crowd over here, cant quite figure it out.

Dan

Some of us may be odd to look at, I'll grant you that.

There's a good cross section of people here, and we try pretty hard to keep it positive. Not always successfully, perhaps, but I've never seen this forum degenerate like some of the other ones.

I sure hope you stick with us, even if we may seem a little sensitive at times.

Things should change at HGR next year I would imagine maybe not for the better if they are upset about having the amalgamate with MSR.

If they don't want or appreciate the help go help another club close by. I really enjoy your posts and first hand knowledge please don't stop posting here, my butthurt is over. :cheers:

LOL about the butt hurt.

My arse was a little hurt when Dan said Skidoos are superior to Arctic Cats. Imagine that. He seemed to have some valid reasons, but I didn't believe a word he said. Surely he was only joking.

And yes, we need to keep him around.

The report in another thread about running Dwight Bay on Lake of Bays just gives me shivers...that is a cold, deep and unforgiving lake.  We went by Dwight Bay on Trail 77 Friday, and there were 2 or 3 fresh sets of tracks heading straight out into the bay from the beach...they left behind some ugly-looking slush spots near shore...no thanks!

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/270-ontario/1545698-lob-ice-conditions.html

Dan,

Your posts are very informative. You're the Mary Lake guru--I recall ice depth reports from test holes. Appreciate it.

I missed the 'to and fro' that led to your decision. Someone once said that "written" comments lack the nuances we hear.

If the Pump and Barrel was stiĺl open I'd offer to meet and discuss lol.

Enjoy the season. Consider sharing insights on OC.Com when you can.

He bashed a grass roots club that's been maintaining trails in his area for 45 years. I didn't like it. Sorry if I come off quick to conclusions.

Not every negative comment is bashing.  Thanks to the over reaction, a person who was a contributor has left.

I wish people would stop reacting to words and start asking questions. 

Not every negative comment is bashing. Thanks to the over reaction, a person who was a contributor has left.

I wish people would stop reacting to words and start asking questions.

I apologized for my over reaction and it was justified I believe. The OP leaving is not my problem and don't point the finger at me for it.

Some of us may be odd to look at, I'll grant you that.

There's a good cross section of people here, and we try pretty hard to keep it positive. Not always successfully, perhaps, but I've never seen this forum degenerate like some of the other ones.

I sure hope you stick with us, even if we may seem a little sensitive at times.

Well said Blake... Thank you.

Dumb move taking Dwight bay. I don't care if you plunge to your death, don't know you.

But people follow tracks and they may not be as lucky to not have a sled issue and be stuck out there. Been riding those lakes for 30 years. It's juts not safe this year.

I apologized for my over reaction and it was justified I believe. The OP leaving is not my problem and don't point the finger at me for it.

Also enjoy your posts reevester. No finger pointing. Unfortunate situation. Can't squeeze the toothpaste back into the tube. Everyone's moving forward.

Archived