Thanks D9 for a nice ride!! Good tarts, nice trails, nice hat!

extreme600

Left from Varney, Snowmobiles Unlimited parking lot. Headed east across the highway and up into Durham. Out to the B111 and rode to Markdale. There was about 3 inches of snow over a frozen base. Base was rough, (old moguls and washboard) the odd hole here and there on the Durham club sections. Once I hit the sections maintained by Klondyke, the trails were flat hard base with some fresh snow on top. Railbed up to Owen Sound was hard and flat, perfect. Turned West towards Sauble through Hepworth. Bush trails are a bit thin and rough in places. The fields are great. At Allenford I turned south towards Chesley. There is a small section of railbed between there and Tara that is rough.There is a good sized water hole near town. Easy to go around on a sled. Once south of the railbed the fields have plenty of snow. Stopped for gas at Chesley, 166 kms, 35 liters of fuel. Not bad for its first time out.

From Chesley over to Desboro its rough. It seemed like half the fields were ploughed. The fresh snow that had fallen last night was already turning brown from the light morning traffic. This area won't last in + temps or traffic. Even the fields that weren't ploughed were lumpy/bumpy.Turned south at Desboro towards the railbed As soon as I hit the section maintained by Klondyke, the trail went smooooooooth.  Down the railbed to intersection 234, turned towards Durham. This section down towards intersection 256 is mostly road running. That sucks. Used to be one of my favorites but it won't be any more. What was trail was rough. Snow covered but rough.From there I continued across the north side of Durham and down the west side to intersection 258 where I headed back to the truck at Varney. Fair bit of road running, thinner through here than anywhere else I rode. Dirt showing through from traffic and rough.

The grooming differences were obvious. The clubs that had groomed after last weekend and before the melt down/refreeze had smooth trails with a great base (Klondyke, Owne Sound). The clubs that did were rough (Chesley, Durham).

At the truck I talked to a family who had left from Varney and gone south to Clifford.   :huh:   Well, they said conditions were thin and rough. The snow didn't get reasonably good until they got back above Neustadt.

I said "that section is still closed". They said "ya but someone told us it was still good."   :wacko:

If I was going tomorrow. I'd leave from Chesley and head north or west. I'd avoid Durham due to all the road sections and the bumps. Roads were passable today because of the fresh snow but the plows had everything down to the gravel by the later part of the day.

270 kms. Tomorrow is gonna hurt.

Thanks for the write up blackstar ,was going to trailer to durham but will go up to markdale maybe 

There was a lone guy on a black 1200X came into the gas station at Chesley while I was having a Pepsi around 130?

There was actually quite a few guys riding solo today.

Weather looks terrible. I ordered saddle bags yesterday and looking to go far north for the balance of the season.

That was me :)

2015 Cat Turbo. This was its first time on snow so still breaking things in.  That's better than 11 mgp. I've read they get 12-14 so I'd be happy to be in that range.

The ZR7000 I had last year was around 13-14 and there is plenty more fun at the flipper with this one.

40 liter tank too so that means I can go 200 kms to a tank.

Mileage numbers sound right on with my 14 turbo.

Its usually a consistent 14 mpg .

Fuel gauge sucks though and shows one bar remaining when there's about 40 percent of a tank left. End up going by mileage, and fill up around 160 kms to be safe.

Mileage numbers sound right on with my 14 turbo.

Its usually a consistent 14 mpg .

Fuel gauge sucks though and shows one bar remaining when there's about 40 percent of a tank left. End up going by mileage, and fill up around 160 kms to be safe.

Thanks, that is what I had read before starting out. Mine started flashing at 85 kms.

I was around the same area you might of seen a long rider on a all black MXZX 1200 , that was me . I agree best snow between Owen Sound and Chesley . I might do a run in my area

tomorrow just a lap then home , Sunday's

weather is going to do some damage . Might be

awhile before the area recovers as the whole

area needs snow now .

Wednesday is a sad plus 7 C. That is going to hurt. Cold returns on thursday, should be a high of minus 10 a week from now. Snow should come back in to squeeze two it three weeks out of this season.

With todays weather and up coming rain I'm surprised as of this typing that some trails are still open limited in district 9 , I rode some of them 2 days ago and they were bad then . The area will be pretty much starting over after the high temperatures and up coming rain . Even next Wed there showing rain as well . It's plus 7c now north of Owen Sound I'm seeing green grass on my yard already . At least the ATV is ready to roll .

raining like crazy in mount forest

Now raining here as well :angry:

Hard to think the south will be open again after this coming Wednesday's rain!... The last of this season is not looking good. Thank  god for the North...

ya i was sorta hoping i would not have to trailer to snow this yr, but it is what it is

I had a great ride sat in the owen sound area ,thanks everyone who is involved.

I had a great ride sat in the owen sound area ,thanks everyone who is involved.

So did we,,,4 of us left from Markdale and rode up to Allenford for a qwik rip,trails were still decent in my eyes.

So did we,,,4 of us left from Markdale and rode up to Allenford for a qwik rip,trails were still decent in my eyes.

all done on the rail line?

Archived