Parry Sound Area Trails

9 hours ago, SuperG said:

I know the clubs over that way are working hard with what they have to work with but if I was a betting man id change your reservation towards ps area instead as at least the seguin (C103D) should still be open and in better shape by then as well as other trails in the area might be opening up given more snow and cold which it looks like we will be getting all this week. Also havent heard the greatest reviews about the super 8 especially just recently. I would recommend Grand Tappattoo resort they have good accommodations and I know the food is great there as well the owner supports the sport! Its located just off trail 211 which is off C-ALT. The 211 is mostly staked lake trail but they are smaller lakes as the last check was last week and had 6" of solid ice and with the deep freeze coming up it will only get better and might open that trail up by the time you are wanting. Other decent accommodations and food is the log cabin inn located off trail 209. 

I know im probably biased as being from the area but just giving my best two cents to what i know personally and i know the bracebridge gravenhurst areas have a bit more rocky swampy areas which they need more snow and cold to open them up. We also have similar terrain but not to the same extent. Hope this helps. Also welcome to the forum. 

We have been to Tapatoo and it was good. The lake was solid so we could run across it to connect to the trail rather than up the driveway and down the road. It was a Family Day weekend that we went and the place seemed fairly busy. We had a package that included some meals but not all. We went to the dining room for a breakfast that wasn't included in the package and found that breakfast pricey as a stand alone purchase.

We haven't stayed at the Log Cabin Inn however we have had dinner there. We were staying at the Super 8 aka Quality Inn aka Jolly Roger only to find the restaurant on their website wasn't open and they didn't tell us when we made the reservation. Minor nuisance to unhook the trailer and drive to Log Cabin for dinner which was excellent food. Only real pain in the butt was some idiot decided it was okay to block my trailer in with their truck. Fortunately the front desk knew by the license plate which room they were in and had them move the truck or we wouldn't have been able to get the sleds off the trailer.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

We have been to Tapatoo and it was good. The lake was solid so we could run across it to connect to the trail rather than up the driveway and down the road. It was a Family Day weekend that we went and the place seemed fairly busy. We had a package that included some meals but not all. We went to the dining room for a breakfast that wasn't included in the package and found that breakfast pricey as a stand alone purchase.

We haven't stayed at the Log Cabin Inn however we have had dinner there. We were staying at the Super 8 aka Quality Inn aka Jolly Roger only to find the restaurant on their website wasn't open and they didn't tell us when we made the reservation. Minor nuisance to unhook the trailer and drive to Log Cabin for dinner which was excellent food. Only real pain in the butt was some idiot decided it was okay to block my trailer in with their truck. Fortunately the front desk knew by the license plate which room they were in and had them move the truck or we wouldn't have been able to get the sleds off the trailer.

Do you think the Super 8 is suitable for a family stay?  I have a 9 and 13 year old.  Was the pool okay?

10 minutes ago, traNsplantEdneWFie said:

Thanks for the info.  I'm so torn on what to do.  This is our first trip and I want it to be a memorable one for the whole family.  We have a dog too, so it has to be a pet friendly hotel.  I just talked to Super 8 in Parry Sound and they said a few people were on the trail yesterday but limited availability.

Right now your best bet seems to be the trails around Collingwood / Wasaga / Penetang / Midland / Waubaushene / Coldwater They have been getting clobbered with snow squalls and have trails open limited. Now that Christmas is over I suspect there will be a lot more open up there and elsewhere.

24 minutes ago, traNsplantEdneWFie said:

Do you think the Super 8 is suitable for a family stay?  I have a 9 and 13 year old.  Was the pool okay?

We stayed there a couple of years ago and honestly it was a dump, the restaurant wasn't open and we had to beg them to feed us as we didn't want to sled over somewhere to eat. I would be looking elsewhere in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, traNsplantEdneWFie said:

It's an older motel essentially. The rooms are not fancy by any stretch but were clean and comfortable. Except our TV didn't work. I have never used the indoor pool. Actually I didn't know they had one. I'm not much of a pool person. I looked it up and it may be new since I was last there. It's inside a Quonset hut.

CaptureM.JPG.e58b1aa8160161309a7a60aa2ad3b432.JPG

I used Google Maps to see if I could locate the Quonset hut on the satellite view but couldn't see it. Where the red marker is, that's the main building with the restaurant (if it's open) it's also the bar. There are other separate buildings of motel rooms as you can see. Depending on which building your room is in it could be a good walk in cold weather to the indoor pool wherever it is. I don't know how well that would work for young kids.

Tapatoo has an indoor pool as well. It is also in a separate building. There are some rooms in close proximity to the pool. i.e. the width of a driveway to cross and others much further. The dining room is also in a separate building. The early morning walk to the dining room for breakfast the second day of the weekend we were there started at -36C.

CaptureM.JPG.213733116a4918b6250d0541aa3c87a1.JPG

Midland has a number of accommodations in proximity of the trail, or across the road from. There is a Comfort Inn and a Quality in at Hwy 12 and King St. with Kelseys and Boston Pizza a very short distance away. There are also quite a number of dining options in town, particularly on King St. Including Timmies. Also a good wing place a short drive away.

CaptureM.JPG.80f09f459de03484874632a1a66ab9da.JPG

1 hour ago, traNsplantEdneWFie said:

Thanks for the info.  I'm so torn on what to do.  This is our first trip and I want it to be a memorable one for the whole family.  We have a dog too, so it has to be a pet friendly hotel.  I just talked to Super 8 in Parry Sound and they said a few people were on the trail yesterday but limited availability.

Yes I highly dont recommend the super 8 for your stay I do know that Tappattoo is a good resort and I asked the owner that last week and they do allow a pet to stay just state that to them when if you want to book. The owner just text me this morning and hes going out today to start packing the 211 trail to his resort and put up the rest of his signage. It looks like the groomer did the seguin trail last night but yes the trails are limited for now but should be improving as the weeks go by as well more trails should be opening up.

2 hours ago, traNsplantEdneWFie said:

Go to Cochrane 

Transplantednewfie, I can't see how you'd go wrong staying in Midland.

Lots of trails already open in the area. Don't let the yellow fool you. The trails are currently quite good, though C south gets bumpy.

Good sized community with hotel options, restaurants, etc. etc.

4 hours ago, SuperG said:

Yes I highly dont recommend the super 8 for your stay I do know that Tappattoo is a good resort and I asked the owner that last week and they do allow a pet to stay just state that to them when if you want to book. The owner just text me this morning and hes going out today to start packing the 211 trail to his resort and put up the rest of his signage. It looks like the groomer did the seguin trail last night but yes the trails are limited for now but should be improving as the weeks go by as well more trails should be opening up.

That's weird because I just contacted them and they won't allow my dog and it's just a little Boston Terrier pup. It's looking more and more like Midland is the best option now. I now have hotels booked in Bracebridge and Midland. 

7 hours ago, traNsplantEdneWFie said:

That's weird because I just contacted them and they won't allow my dog and it's just a little Boston Terrier pup. It's looking more and more like Midland is the best option now. I now have hotels booked in Bracebridge and Midland. 

oh its for the cottages you are allowed to have a pet in not in the main hotel. and thats good, enjoy your stay at either of those. 

• 2 weeks later...

Was able to get the 1st ride in for the season this weekend,Thumbs up to volunteers and staff at SSSC  trails are coming along nicely.

Also great to see trail patrol checking for trial permits tired of seeing  freeloaders riding trails.

Awesome job guys

12 hours ago, cravesledding said:

Was able to get the 1st ride in for the season this weekend,Thumbs up to volunteers and staff at SSSC  trails are coming along nicely.

Also great to see trail patrol checking for trial permits tired of seeing  freeloaders riding trails.

Awesome job guys

Oh we must of stopped you on the weekend some time.... well glad to hear all our hard work is appreciated. and glad you had a good weekend by the sounds of it. Thanks for the compliment and I will pass this along to the rest of the gang. Enjoy the season and hopefully see you on the trails. 

Yeap you got me Sunday morning on the Seguin and Horseshoe Lake intersection,glad to see you guys out.

Be safe out there.  Cheers!

Tip of the helmet and huge thanks to all of the clubs volunteers. There are so many challenges to getting a trail open that the average rider hasn't any concept of. When the snow came early lots of volunteers in lots of clubs worked through the Christmas / New Years season getting trails ready while most riders were visiting with friends and family, generally celebrating the season.

What really irks me is when some moron makes the comment WHY AREN'T YOU OUT DOING YOUR JOB? about a VOLUNTEER

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

Tip of the helmet and huge thanks to all of the clubs volunteers. There are so many challenges to getting a trail open that the average rider hasn't any concept of. When the snow came early lots of volunteers in lots of clubs worked through the Christmas / New Years season getting trails ready while most riders were visiting with friends and family, generally celebrating the season.

What really irks me is when some moron makes the comment WHY AREN'T YOU OUT DOING YOUR JOB? about a VOLUNTEER

Those are the same guys that I like to call throttle jockeys you know the ones  they have handle bar riser FN stupid ridiculous tuned pipes and ride their sleds standing up on a regular trial but they think they are riding freestyle in the back-country  going up banks and spinning their tracks creating ruts. Luckily there are only a few of them,cant fix stupidity. 

11 hours ago, cravesledding said:

Those are the same guys that I like to call throttle jockeys you know the ones  they have handle bar riser FN stupid ridiculous tuned pipes and ride their sleds standing up on a regular trial but they think they are riding freestyle in the back-country  going up banks and spinning their tracks creating ruts. Luckily there are only a few of them,cant fix stupidity. 

May 30 below zero and a low windshield freeze their asses 

Yes it's ok. I'm on it right now. Lots of frozen base with an inch of fresh snow on top. Pancaked smooth by the warm up, but rutted badly lots of places where folks made trenches by riding before the temps dropped. Need to slow down periodically to navigate ruts.

Water holes are frozen.

EDIT: I didn't go under Highway 400 on C by the Jolly Roger, because it looked as though there may have been water in that spot.

2 hours ago, Blake G said:

Water holes are frozen.

EDIT: I didn't go under Highway 400 on C by the Jolly Roger, because it looked as though there may have been water in that spot.

That will be frozen by morning. Currently -18 and dropping to near -30 overnight.

Archived