Parry Sound Area Trails

Any trails or lakes open for riding in the area this weekend??

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Planning on coming up to PS area March 1 for 5 days of riding.  At what point should I throw in the towel?  Meaning, at what point will it be obvious that the lakes won't be safe and the season pretty much shot?  The reason being, I have a reservation at a local inn and I don't want to wait till the last week to cancel becuase they could secure a  non-snowmobile related reservation now (during the week I plan to be up)....I feel bad for all the folks/businesses that are taking a beating with the lack of snow....

Planning on coming up to PS area March 1 for 5 days of riding.  At what point should I throw in the towel?  Meaning, at what point will it be obvious that the lakes won't be safe and the season pretty much shot?  The reason being, I have a reservation at a local inn and I don't want to wait till the last week to cancel becuase they could secure a  non-snowmobile related reservation now (during the week I plan to be up)....I feel bad for all the folks/businesses that are taking a beating with the lack of snow....

There has to be a lot of those businesses that are hurting real bad. I wonder how many will end up throwing in the towel, especially the restaurant businesses that are facing huge price increases on the meats and produce they buy.

Hang in there when it snows the clubs will rock the trails 

Should be ok. if things aren't good by the end of next week, I would worry.

Trails in the South Seguin area are pretty good given the weather of last week. This week we have had some snow along with some real cold temps in store for fri.sat night. Trails are only going to get better as the week progresses! 

REMEMBER SSSC/SSSR annual Poker run and silent auction are this SATURDAY! Dinner at Seguin Valley Golf Club, speaking from experience they do put on a good spread!. Hope to see some OCers there!

is there a poker run , cause i thought the radar runs as well as poker run in that area were cancelled?

Where can we find some more info on the poker run?

Some more trails have opened south of PS.

Some more trails have opened south of PS.

Just need some 200's series to open and you got a nice little ride. I love that loop outside Rousseau 350,340,330.

You heading up this weekend?

Just need some 200's series to open and you got a nice little ride. I love that loop outside Rousseau 350,340,330.

You heading up this weekend?

Yup. Hoping they open c102.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wonder trail 350 on little whitefish lake heading from 201 is closed ,ice is unsafe or other issue?  Thank's

Just wonder trail 350 on little whitefish lake heading from 201 is closed ,ice is unsafe or other issue?  Thank's

Probably because the road running coming off the east end of the lake is bad.  201 is staked at the west end, and up to mid last week we were all over that lake.  Don't know what the mild temps did to it a few days ago, but there's pretty good ice underneath.  

201 is South Seguin club, 350 is West Muskoka, so there are two clubs that stake that lake.

Looking at the map, here's a classic example of needing to ride a red trail to get to 330 and 340.  Look at that loop - the only connection is 350 or C102.  Both are red.  Why open an isolated loop if the club expects everyone to stay off a red section?

Hmmm ...

Looking at the map, here's a classic example of needing to ride a red trail to get to 330 and 340.  Look at that loop - the only connection is 350 or C102.  Both are red.  Why open an isolated loop if the club expects everyone to stay off a red section?

Hmmm ...

I am told that the lake is the concern. As far as opening the loop it is better than leaving it closed for no good reason 

Wouldn't that loop would be easier to open than most, assuming there's enough snow? Doesn't quite a bit of it follow summer maintained cottage roads and trails?

Hmmm ...

The loop could be accessible to the people with cottages in that area without riding a closed trail.

This raises an interesting question. I'll assume 350 is "closed"  between 340 and C201 because the lake isn't staked. But, as the rest of it follows summer roads to the junction with 340, would there be a legal issue using it?

I don't know the categories of road ownership in that area, but I believe it would be legal to ride unplowed municipal roads (if there are any in that area) but any privately owned cottage roads or cottage association roads would be covered by land use agreements between the owners and the snowmobile club. Trails on such private roads would be illegal to ride unless the club declares them available.

350 follows a Fire Road - I would think that is a non-plowed municipal road.  I'm told it has been groomed and is being used, but it shows red on the map.  This is probably a weakness in the rating system - if part of 350 is closed (on the lake) the rest on land can't be shown green or yellow.  The part of 350 on Clear Lake Rd and Brown's Lake rd are shown red, but they are definitely public roads and can be used by snowmobile at any time.

This thread clearly shows that 12 of us actually pay attention to the interactive map.

Archived